S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rovers and Disability Scooters.  (Read 741 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Land Rovers and Disability Scooters.
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:53:42 AM »

Hi,

What is says on the label, although my interest is specifically about Barbara's problems, my Freelander, and Barbara's invalid scooter.

Barbara has a "domestic" invalid buggy, that is steered by a small tiller-switch (Left/Right and Forward/Reverse) on the left armrest. Two problems ...

1. It is heavy, but it can be dismantled ... which I have never investigated, as we have never felt the need, until now.

2. It is too powerful ... the accelerator is (literally) a switch. If the buggy meets an obstruction, like a door frame, the tyres on the driving wheels will try to burn a hole in the carpet. It recently demolished a "church hall" type, wooden, folding chair.

Just to complicate things, It has two little "anti-tip" wheels hanging out the back-end ... they "ground" if the approach/departure angle is greater than 1:5. The Social Services contractor had to take his 1:5 ramp (for our front door) away, and return with a 1:7 version.

SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has declared that she now wants a "street-rod" version of her buggy, which implies that whatever it is, it will need to be able to be lifted (or driven) into the back of the Freelander. (I'm guessing that suggesting a Morris 1000 Van will not be a good political move).

She can manage a steering wheel, or a Tiller-Switch, but handlebars would be difficult. She has never ridden a bicycle, but I once put her up on a 15hh "nag", so she could accompany me on my 3-hour Sunday afternoon trek over the sand dunes along Swansea Bay. The trek leader suggested that we broke away, and made our own, slow, way round.  Hmmm! An invalid buggy with reins?

I think Barbara's three year old Hyundai ix20 is a non-starter in this discussion, but she does not regard it with any strong affection. buying another new, more suitable car, could be a possibility, but maybe not a probability ... unless there are incentives, like VAT exemption?

We have found that us "Wrinklies" (over 65s) are not entitled to any benefits, other than Attendance Allowance, which does NOT entitle you to claim other benefits.  Receiving PIP, on the other hand, opens lots of other doors.

If there are any forum members who have already trod any of the aforementioned "paths", and can offer any advice/suggestions, we'd be most grateful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.