S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Badges ... what is latest criteria?  (Read 2425 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Blue Badges ... what is latest criteria?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 06:25:39 AM »

Hi,

One of the obstacles is ... Barbara.

When asked to demonstrate, she tries to show HOW WELL she can do things. I think she went to all the wrong sort of schools.

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2021, 08:22:32 PM »

If you live in North Wales rest assured my sister is long retired and your chances of getting a blue badge are greatly improved.

Alec

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2021, 07:05:07 AM »

If you live in North Wales .... your chances of getting a blue badge are greatly improved.

Hi Alec,

When I lived in Wales, I frequently heard references to Westminster's Money ... perhaps jokingly.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2021, 08:49:45 AM »

Anyway, to answer your actual question John, each Council runs the scheme in their area so, a link to Milton Keynes on the subject.

https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/highways-and-transport-hub/parking/disabled-parking-blue-badge-scheme

and under the "Automatically qualify" bit:

1. People who automatically qualify for a badge
You are automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you are over two years old and meet 1 of the following criteria:

Receive the higher rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance; or

Receive 8 points or more under the “moving around” activity for the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP); or

Are registered blind (severely sight impaired); or

Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or

Receive a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1 – 8).  You must also have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.

Receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP)and have been awarded 10 points (Descriptor E) for planning and following a journey. Please complete the Hidden Disability Blue Badge form.

:tiphat
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2021, 06:56:42 AM »

Hi Gene,

Thanks for that.

Barbara's blue badge has expired without her ever using it. When I needed taxiing to the hospital, to have my retina photographed (eye-drops, so couldn't drive), she was already incapable of getting out of the house. My daughter asked a work colleague (bank manager ... and a JP  :agh) to chauffeur me to hospital, and push my wheel chair (I don't walk "distances" any more, it hurts ... more that a few yards, I take the car).

I've seen my GP once since moving here three years, and that was about a patch of some sort of up-market, "municipal" warts, on my back.

We can see no reason why Barbara cannot drive, it's getting out of her wheel chair, and into the car, that is the obstacle. She would be unable to get into the back of a taxi ... and probably the front passenger seat of most other cars, she needs the steering wheel to use a "struggling bar". I guess we are going to have to call in a new car dealer, ask about adaptations.

Receive 8 points or more under the "moving around" activity ...?

Most disabled benefits are not available to "OVER 65s".

Barbara cannot stand unaided. She can struggle out of her armchair, twist and drop her bum into a wheel-chair, then from wheelchair to shower chair, or WC, or bed, and return. She manages her kitchen duties, from her buggy, although I have to get involved with heavy sauce-pans and oven dishes (two hands needed).

Can she be assessed for the Mobility Component, even though she is not entitled to the Benefit? Or do you actually have to receive the benefit?

There is a firm (practice?) of Occupational Therapists, a couple of miles away, who charge the wrong side of £600 for a home visit ... they mentioned that SAFFA had paid for somebod's assessment. But is there any point? Will a private assessment over-rule the LA's own assessment? And if not, what's the next move? The cost of such an assesssment is a "mere bagatelle" (whatever that is) compared with what we've spent already ... eg:- £70,000 Equity Release used as a First Mortgage (4% FIXED RATE), to move into a bungalow (moving from South Wales to the East Midlands costs)£8,000 to lift the access into the front door (but that included paving the front garden too), £1,000 to convert the door from living room to French Windows, to give a straight run from living room into bathroom ... I don't know what the electrically operated arm chairs, and similar double bed cost. (I say what I want, and she says "Yeah or Nay".

Anybody got any suggestions for a NEW wheel-chair friendly car, that won't break the bank, and needn't impress the neighbours.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2021, 07:37:12 AM »

PS,

I just found this when looking for car seat lifts .... https://www.motability.co.uk/products/adaptations/prices/

Once you have found a price that suits you  :-X go to their main website, to find out what it is.  :stars

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.