S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FAO GIBBO, and anybody using Watling Street just North of Milton Keynes  (Read 805 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:

Hi Dave,

Is positioning road works signs within your job description?

Yesterday driving South down Watling Street, approaching the roundabout junction with Dansteed Road, saw a sign suggesting I take Exit 3, as Exit 2 is blocked.

WRONG! It was Exit 3 that was blocked, Exit 2 - straight through the roundabout was clear ... so sudden change of plans ... no drama. I assumed I had read the sign incorrectly.

Today, I read the sign very carefully, interpreted it to say the same as yesterday ... Exit 2 is blocked, so take Exit 3.

Enter roundabout in Lane 2, as is my wont ... and again found Exit 2 clear, and Exit 3 blocked ... split second decision ... I suppose I should have continued round the round about, and had another go ... 20:20 hindsight, but I chose to take Exit 2.

ANGLY BLAST OF HORN FROM ALONGSIDE MY NEAR-SIDE REAR WHEEL.

OK, my fault, but if I'd been driving an HGV, the other driver might not have been around to discuss blame allocation.  Personally, I'm very wary when overtaking on roundabouts. I don't trust anybody until I am very sure that they are committed.

OT. I detest the "tangential" roundabouts found in Milton Keynes. I can see a fast approaching car, on my left, but no indications that he is going to stop, until it he is actually in front of me. Maybe I'm growing old, but I don't trust anybody, and I don't expect anybody to trust me, until I know he seen me.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: FAO GIBBO, and anybody using Watling Street just North of Milton Keynes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 06:57:00 PM »

Mirror
Signal
Manoeuvre

???
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice.

I had mirrored, signalled, and pulled out to graze the white line, probably entered the roundabout at 20mph (30ft per second-ish), or maybe a smidgen faster.

Due to the "Amazonian rain forest" growing on the roundabout "reservation", I estimate I had well under a second to assess the situation, and act.

With hindsight, I should have continued round the roundabout, and had another go.

Personally, I would not undertake anybody on a roundabout doing much more than 10mph, and not overtake at much faster than that ... well, maybe if I was driving a car that could burn rubber if "floored" at 20mph.

Two incidents ...1964 Level crossing gate with no warning lamps, so virtually invisible. I stopped the the Scotland London express. British Rail police took no action. I had a broken head-lamp glass. Again in 1964, unconcious driver ploughed into into the back of my stationary Minivan, at traffic lights.

Two speeding tickets in my 850cc Minivan, in mid-1960s, the second was for doing 80mph in a goods vehicle (then 40mph limit for goods vehicle). I pleaded Not Guilty, as the van had seats. Magistrates said I needed both seats and windows, and fined me £2, and apologised for the endorsement.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 08:08:33 AM »

Hi Alan,

Thankyou for your advice.  I have just checked the Highway Code, and found lots of advice, but little specific to my incident other than to DO NOT assume the other driver knows where he want's to go, I found virtually nothing about under, or overtaking, on a roundabout

I also done a Google, and found this about overtaking on a roundabout....

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/394952-roundabouts-and-overtaking/page/3/#comments

However, my comment was not about the other driver giving me about an angry toot on his horn, it was about the street sign that put me in that situation in the first place.

At 20mph, you travel about 30 feet per second. I was probably doing more than 20mph, but I would guess I had much less a second to think and act.

Did I make the right decision? Dunno! but there was nobody on my tail when a checked my mirror just before I entered the roundabout. IF anybody had caught up with me, and wanted to go straight on, they should have been in the inside lane (I will check later today  IF there are two lanes exiting the roundabout). If the car behind was intending to follow me round the roundabout, I had done nothing more than get out of his way.

My first mail was addressed specifically to GIBBO, in the hope that it is "within his gift" to get this sorted. I am not familiar with the extent of his responsibilities.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.