S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas Hoods  (Read 5013 times)

Strippy

Canvas Hoods
« on: August 09, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »

The canvas hood for my 2A is less than 5 years old and is disintegrating. It's going into holes and the joints are coming apart. Speaking to Exmoor trim, the manufacturer, (and to Undercover Covers) it seems that the traditional proofing solution is no longer allowed and has been replaced by a water based substitute. I would have expected a five year old canvas to just be nicely breaking in.  Should we expect more than 5 years from a hood, even if left outside, or is there an after sales treatment that can be used to prolong life?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
Re: Canvas Hoods
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:57:57 AM »

My brother in law (dead now unfortunately so cant check) according to my nephew treated his with boiled linseed oil.

All I can tell you is that it is 40 years old, was on my land rover for 4 years up till last September when it started leaking and I bought an UCC hood.

The old one is still in the roof of my garage and one day I will get round to trying the linseed oil trick on it.

Peter :tiphat
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »

What about the treatments you can buy for tents jackets shoes etc That supposedly waterproof them yet leave them breathable?
Just a thought.
There was a tv programme on the other night about a famous wax jacket company. I cant remember the ratio's but the use a combination of oils and wax. Tv programme was called Inside the Factory
So maybe linseed oil is a good solution.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »

I think what we understand to be traditional canvas maybe has changed.

My original Exmoor Trim (ET) hood, bought in 2002, lasted outdoors in all weathers until around 2013 -14.  It was never proofed, and only towards the end of its life did holes start appearing where birds had dumped on it.

The hood I purchased next from ET in 2016, very quickly developed "mould marks" over the driver's section, and the canvas seemed harsher.  I queried this with ET, and got the impression that the weave had changed and, (without them saying so specifically), now contained man-made fibres.

However, the hood doesn't leak, and seems robust enough so far......

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »

The big change in the time period being referred to is the voluntary withdrawal by manufacturers of perfluorooctoanate (PFOA) which was the active component in (old) Scotchguard amongst other products. It was withdrawn on environmental grounds but the replacements are less effective at water repellence so it is easier to create wet enough conditions for mounds and fungi to take hold.

Fluorinated repellants of this type work by forming a coating over the surface of the fibre. The alternative is to fill up all the spaces within it with a liquid. If this is organic it will generally also be water repellant, so oils and greases will work, but if they are non-curing they become messy and eventually evaporate off. If they cure (e.g. linseed) then they are no longer liquid and will last a long time. Canvas soaked in old oil-based paint is a very effective top layer for boat cabins. However, they will go stiff which may or may not be a problem, depending on whether you ever plan to take the top off and stow it.

Alec

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 03:08:49 PM »

Indeed, the decks of my old wooden Folkboat were canvased and painted and that lasted for 60 years.
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 08:07:02 AM »

. However, they will go stiff which may or may not be a problem, depending on whether you ever plan to take the top off and stow it.

So you should be careful not to treat the rear flap, or the sides if you ever roll them up?

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 08:22:59 AM »

So you should be careful not to treat the rear flap, or the sides if you ever roll them up?

Yes, if you use linseed or some other curing oil.

Btw, if anyone does use linseed then you want boiled so that it cures in hours not weeks, but do not do it on a hot sunny day. ‘Boiled’ refers to added catalysts but the curing reaction gives out heat and is accelerated by sunlight to the point that it can go into thermal runaway and set the whole thing alight  :agh

Alec

Lord Unstone

• Chassis welder
  • .:
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »

I have two canvas hoods, one bought new, but both are pretty rotten. I have now given up with them, amd have a truck cab on. Keeping the sticks etc, just in case I win the pools and can buy a new canvas,
1966 S2a diesel
1993 Morgan 4/4
Lister D, Bernard WO, VeloSolex...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.