S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just because I'm paranoid......  (Read 2654 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Just because I'm paranoid......
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2021, 05:06:45 AM »

Hi,

Shades of the old blacksmith story ... "I charge a penny for hitting it, and a pound for knowing where to hit it"

PS ... everybody here NOW  knows what to do when the lights on Granny's mobility scooter start flashing, so maybe somebody scored an own goal.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 11:57:51 AM »

A colour laser is a useful bit of office kit - the colour prints are almost photo quality depending on the paper you use.
They are big & heavy and take up space, but no more than an inkjet really.
It's the toner cartridges that cost (but I think better value than inkjet cartridges) - red, yellow, cyan and black - they do last a long time.

... and as with ink cartridges - Sod's law says they will run out just when you have something important to print.
Good plan to have a spare set and order in an other spare set when you replace.

The question is, and it's one we can't possibly answer:- "How much colour printing do you do/need ? "
and "How frequently are you going to be printing ? "

:wooly-jumper

The Clubs "Membership" printer is a Brother l3550CDW colour laser, currently about £350. A full set of Brother ink cartridges is about £150, "own-brand" copies somewhat cheaper, £115. supposed to last 1000 pages. You can get ones that last to 2300 pages but are then looking at £280 for a set.  I regularly print 100 pages at a go between "overdue" letters and reminders to those who do not use email. By using pre-printed letterhead paper we can save on colour ink, just printing in black, so its black refills usually, rather than a full set of toner. Note that if you do print "black and white" without telling the printer "black only" it also uses the colour toners somehow.... sneaky and expensive. Lavenham Press now print and post the membership cards, that used to be another 2-300 cards a month to print pack and post.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 07:08:49 AM »

Note that if you do print "black and white" without telling the printer "black only" it also uses the colour toners somehow..

Hi Gene,

Does nobody produce a pair of orthodox cartridges ... both loaded with black?

I assume that black is cheaper than colour, else they would just use the colour cartridges, and let the printer mix up some black when necessary.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2021, 01:50:40 PM »

On your internet musings.
We are with AOL for Email and have been for many years. Much easier to keep rather than inform people of a change, bit like mobile numbers.
When I use in work I just log into AOL and access emails through whoever they use.
We are currently with TalkTalk for internet, who bought AOL's UK interest some years ago.
Line is Fibre Optic upto the box outside then cable. Only virgin do 'Fibre to the door'. Nearly when with them last year but they never turned up and did not reply to my mesages.
I thought, no matter how good the deal is, if this is 'customer service' before I join them what chance do I have once signed up ?   ???
As you probably know nearly all the lines in the UK are BT owned and most companies piggy back off them.
One thing to be aware of, is many ISP's are promoting VOIP which looks a good deal but it usually means you lose your traditional landline.
Still have same phone with same number but it uses internet not cables.
As I said to the person who tried to sell it to me; of all my time as a phone user my phone line has only been down once, an error by Talktalk, but internet has been lost more than once, or twice ...

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 02:58:15 PM »

Note that if you do print "black and white" without telling the printer "black only" it also uses the colour toners somehow..

Hi Gene,

Does nobody produce a pair of orthodox cartridges ... both loaded with black?

I assume that black is cheaper than colour, else they would just use the colour cartridges, and let the printer mix up some black when necessary.

The system uses multiple toner cartridges John. There is Black plus "Cyan" - Blue to you and me - "Magenta" - Reddish, and "Yellow" - which is yellow.

Most recent cost extraction was that the machine stopped working saying the waste toner box was full. Not empty-able so its buy a new one time. Doubtless there will be some story of how unpleasant "waste toner" is, such that it can't just be emptied into the bin. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.