S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MODIFIED VEHICLE POINTS SYSTEM  (Read 1459 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
MODIFIED VEHICLE POINTS SYSTEM
« on: May 20, 2020, 06:38:12 AM »

Hi,

I'm posting this, just in case anybody here isn't aware. I knew about it but couldn't remember the "scoring".  A NEW unmodified part counts as ".original"

Chassis (unmodified or NEW) = 5 points. Note. If no chassis, the bodyshell is regarded as the chassis.
                                                                     I would argue that a Mini subframe is the chassis, but
                                                                     I'd probably lose.

Axles (both) = 2 points.

Steering (unmodified) = 2

Suspension (all unmodified) = 2

Gearbox = 2 points

Engine = 1 point

If you can't score 8 points (of which 5 MUST be from the chassis), your vehicle will require an SVA. (I agree with previously voiced sentiments that getting a Series through the SVA would be very difficult, and not viable. Nothing is impossible if you throw enough money at it. (It wasn't so long ago that somebody pedalled an aircraft from England to France ... probably about 100 years after the Wright brother's first flight).

There is something in the small print (I think), about carrying out modifications that were "normal" in the dim and distant past. I have not properly digested that rule, but I'm guessing it allows you to drill holes in the bodyshell/chassis to fit seat-belts, etc. ??? When was it not unusual to chop the entire front off a Mini, leave the engine dangling out the front? Hey! If they write the rules, they can't complain if we comply with them.

PS. I suspect the difficult bit about getting a Series through an SVA is "passenger safety"  (sharp corners, etc). And I often wonder if the seat belts ... if fitted ... would withstand an SVA test rig. 2000kg yank on a truck cab roof?  :agh

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: MODIFIED VEHICLE POINTS SYSTEM
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »

:-\
Rather than read outdated information go to the official DVLA website
and then read about the IVA test and through that link you can read/download the current IVA test manual.

Out of 2,000 S2C members plus forum users I doubt there are many contemplating such a build/modification - well, maybe one   ;)
Most of what's being considered here is outside of our experience.

Anyone considering such work should do their homework first, browse the DVLA website and ask on kit car forums what the likely problems will be. You don't want to be spending a lot of time and money without knowing what the outcome will be regarding conformity and registration.

There is a good chance with this type of project that it might end up with a Q-plate and it certainly will loose its Vehicle of Historic Interest status and hence have to pay full road tax. The insurers will also be interested and probably require an engineers reports and pitch the policy price accordingly.

Who's a then ?

Scotty38

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 5319
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 11:35:33 AM »

Agreed, can't helping thinking that nothing but a world of pain is on the horizon....
Wittsend's Little Helper....

andys101

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6617
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 03:03:09 PM »

I know a smidgen about IVA, If you need any help.

Youngun

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:38 PM »

Hmmm... So if I replace the chassis I should be able to to keep Olduns SII around the 12-14 points region depending on the condition of the axle cases?

Good to know   :o

Neal

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »

" depending on the condition of the axle cases?"

Hi Youngun,

The impression that I get is that if the axle cases, etc, have the correct year number, nobody can tell what specific vehicle they were originally nailed to.

Prepared, but not happy, to be proved wrong.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 07:38:32 PM »

Hi Wittsend,

Be assured that I do not intend to go the SVA route, just that I considered it.  I see nothing impossible, or even difficult, in the regulations ... apart from the matter of sharp corners. Is it 20mm minimum radius anywhere within the specified areas?  ****it! Just drop a Discovery truck cab shell on.

However, if LOTTO came up trumps ... and you kept insisting it couldn't be done ....  :whistle

Reference the pedal-powered aircraft I mentioned earlier, Google GOSSAMAR ALBATROSS VIDEO.. I read at the time, that this contraption was almost airborne as soon as the pilot started pedaling.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 07:59:02 PM »

Hi,

And for something more like an S2, Google...

USS NIMITZ SEA TRIALS IMAGES.

I suspect it's got oil on one brake lining.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 07:10:39 AM »

Neal, replace it with the correct spec and stamp the number and you are in the same position that you were in before the change.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.