S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Two silly questions, sort of OT.  (Read 6586 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Two silly questions, sort of OT.
« on: January 10, 2020, 05:26:56 AM »

Hi,

1. Every day, I struggle to get onto this forum. Sometimes my "remembered" pass-word works, sometimes it refuses, and digs it's heels in. Before fitting the new hard drive to this PC, I could go for days with NO INTERNET SIGNAL ... and then one day, I could log on. Today, one lap-top is getting a signal, but the other isn't. They are less than a metre apart. ???

My new Geek says he has acquired some sort of measuring device, and wants to come and check my house, FOC.

Today I logged straight in to this forum... didn't need a pass-word. Whoever is responsible ... thankyou.

They recently laid fibre-optics in the road. Would that give any advantages (albeit at a cost) to our TV entertainment.  Can fibre optics be used for internet connection?

Probably being silly ... but how difficult would it be to fit an S2 PETROL engine into an old Discovery, or Range Rover? We seem to be doing less than 2,000 mils per annum between us. (Barbara's June 2018 Hyundai has only recently clicked over 2,000 miles). So fuel consumption is virtually irrelevant. I am currently car-less. Barbara's knee replacements seem no closer ... I'm about to put my foot down, TELL her she IS going private.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Two silly questions, sort of OT.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:20:15 AM »

Your ability and ease to access the forum (or the internet) is nothing to do with me/S2C/forum.

I'm afraid the problems lie at your end of the chain.

What exactly is your PC/laptop spec ?
Make - model, HDD size, memory
What OS are you running ?
What internet browser are you using ?
Who is your internet service provider ?

That you have 2 laptops that behave differently is not surprising - they are set up differently.
Somewhere in the internet browser (on each) will be an option to save and remember passwords.
Every time you do a hard re-boot of the PC you could lose the password store.
That is undoubtedly your problem.

I don't know how many websites you visit on a regular (daily) basis, but you could use the same username - often your email address and password.
I know security experts say don't do this - but really, is your computer full of secret security ID information ???
Maybe, maybe not.
If you bank online keep those details separate from your other surfing info.
You could keep a list of your logins and passwords on your phone.
That would be easier and quicker to refer to, rather than sending a forgotten password request each time you want to login to something.

It is a question of being organised and strategy.

It doesn't matter whether you have fibre or copper wire or string connecting your house to the local telephone exchange.
It's down to what your ISP (internet service provider) is providing with the package you have.

Most ISPs provide a decent download speed and upload speed - more than fast enough to browse the internet.
If you want to download films and TV and music you'll need a faster service and if you are into online real time gaming (which I doubt) the faster the better.

There are many links to websites that can test your internet connection and speed...
For example:-
Broadband speed test

Any download speed over 20 (the units don't matter) is good  :first
Any upload speed over 10 is good  :first

There are comparison websites that can find the best deal/package for your needs.
Your needs might include Sky, Amazon or Netflix or BT TV channels/packages.
for example:- Compare the Market

As to retro fitting a Series 2 petrol into a Disco or RR  :shakeinghead
Forget it - please

Why why why - what would you expect to gain?
In fact it would cost you a shed load of money - better just to buy a half decent model - drive and enjoy it.
 :-\
The big problem you'll have is getting an MoT pass.
Emissions tests are based on the age of the vehicle - NOT the engine age.

Another problem is, "Where are you going to get a half decent, reliable Series 2 petrol engine from ?" - a refurbished, rebuilt engine will cost you at least £2500 ???
A £100 eBay punt is just that - you'd be buying a heap of trouble.

Actually fitting the lump would be the least of your troubles.

:geek

Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 05:55:12 AM »

Hi Wittsend,

Thanks for your reply.

I WAS NOT blaming you. It's just that I find security is a PITA ... the only person it seems to obstruct is me ... frequently.

I am an 80+ year old dyslexic Technowimp. I will answer your questions as best I can.

Both lap-tops are ACER. They have slightly different cases, so I assume one is older than the other.  Spec? Model? HDD size? Memory? OS? Browser?  I don't know!  ???  I probably don't understand the meaning of those words. I know where to find the "browser bar", and have leaned that keying a subject into the browser bar will link me to Google, and give me an answer ... no need to log onto Google.

Assuming that I understand the question, my ISP is AOL.

I didn't know that my PCs have the ability to store store passwords, other than by me "making notes"

Hard re-boot? What's that?

Thanks for your interest.

602 (Never had a lesson in my life. Somebody gave me an old desk-top, keyboard, and mouse, and I bought a 2nd hand screen)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 06:50:04 AM »

Hi (again) Wittsend.

You are probably right about not putting a Series engine into a Defender/Range Rover. But when I have considered buying an old Defender or Range Rover, the advice is generally ... DON'T!  I get the impression that their engines are the deciding factor

I had already considered the questions of "Emissions". Not insurmountable I would have thought, but maybe a "deal breaker". Are emissions dependent on the original spec of the vehicle, or the existing engine? Eg: If you replace the petrol engine in an "Eco-warrior GT" with a diesel, do the emmision requirements remain the same?  And vice-versa?

Power? There must be a few 109s running around on 750s  and 3.5 diffs, despite their barn-door aerodynamics. Surely the same engine will pull a (albeit heavier) truck, with (presumably) better aerodynamics, 205 tyres, and fitted with Series differentials  Fuel consumption is of little consequence to me.

OK, it's probably a non-starter, at my age and location, but might be an interesting discussion over a pint.

My dinner is being offered to the dog. Barbara will need an automatic after her ops. I thought we had settled on a SAAB auto estate (reputedly tidy examples are available for very reasonable bucks) but she is now talking about buying a Hyundai i10 auto, for her period of shame.. I think she will miss her iX20's ability to spin the wheels just by stamping on the loud pedal (OK ... in a low gear from a low speed, but not slipping the clutch). And I don't know for how long she will need to carry her wheel-chair.

Alan, I'm happy for you to close this discussion.

nanuq

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 07:45:41 AM »

Hi 602,

There are a couple things you can try that might help.  I hate to say it, but it might be good for you to install the latest Chrome browser.  It's made by Google and although I hate Google (and Apple) with the passion of a thousand burning suns, their browser installation and use is seamless.  It does tend to "take over" your laptop and want to be your software of choice for everything from email to browsing websites to operating your household via Alexis.  But they do make a fine browser and it's happy to remember passwords for you.  Once you go down this path, it's tough to get out of Google's jaws.  But they're relatively benign and appear to be benevolent.  So they might be useful to you.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Good luck, and may God have mercy on your soul.   :tiphat

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3129
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:09 AM »

Just a few observations on your problems.

Regardless of what package you are buying from your ISP, the speed is limited by the capability of the supply down the wires. Until a year ago we had 4 miles of old copper phone cable from the nearest rural exchange. Our maximum possible download speed was 0.5 Mb/s. We  were were deluged with wonderful offers from providers who promised 30, 60, the sky, but on further enquiries all were limited by the antique supply cables to 0.5.

Then a local provider started up, which could supply 30 Mb/s by wi-fi disk from a new mast 2 miles away across the valley. To get the signal there has to be a virtually clear line of sight, preferably with very few trees in the way. It is about the same price as we paid before, but with a vastly increased speed. There are very few problems, and if there are  the firm are only a few miles away and Dai usually pops round in his van and resets the transmitter at the mast in about half an hour.
BT have now run a fibre optic cable down the lane right past the door - after saying for years there were no plans for doing that. We could switch at minimal or no cost, but we are staying loyal to the local firm and the excellent service response. Wasting hours hanging on at an imbecilic call centre in India to report that the internet has gone off again is not very appealing compared with a friendly man just up the road.

I usually click "remember Log-in" on websites with no financial details (not bank account, obviously), but I find all of them forget that after a week or so, for some unknown reason - it's just one of those irritating things about the internet.
Another is the way the log-in page often jumps a few inches just as I am clicking log-in, so I get an advert or something instead.

Despite what Wittsend says, I have always understood that emissions are tested on the engine's age not the car's, as long as you have written proof for the tester. I understand that a copy of the V5 from the donor vehicle showing an engine number that matches the one in the car is acceptable evidence.
I'm not saying it would be a good idea though - it sounds a bit daft to me.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »

No
Emissions are based on the age of the vehicle, the date on the V5C.
And must conform to the VOSA data in the MoT manual relating to that year.

No Series 2 requires an emissions test for the MoT other than a subjective look at any smoke produced.
Therefore a Tdi engine in a Series 2 is never tested, whereas a Series 2 engine in a Disco would be tested.
Whether a 50 year old engine will or could be made to pass modern limits is a mute point.

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 09:34:53 AM »

602. I know and appreciate that there are people who, like Nanuq, hate Google and Apple with a deep and abiding passion.
I don’t. I have a MacBook Air laptop, 7 years old now, and never a single days problem during that time.
More to the point, I’m in my mid-Seventies, by no means computer literate, and I struggle a bit with the technical language of information technology.

But if I want to use it, then I need a working knowledge of it. Just as if I want to run a Classic Land Rover, I need mechanical understanding and sympathy with my S2.

And this is where Apple are excellent. When you buy an Apple product from an Apple store, you can get free basic (and later on, also free advanced) training and advice. I found it invaluable. It was also strangely enjoyable, as you meet others in the group and realise you’re not alone and not dumb... 

The groups take place in the Apple store, and are often run (in my experience) by young, tattooed and pierced geeks who are, despite appearances, unusually patient, helpful and quite charming.

The big downside is that Apple devices are not cheap. That’s because they work...... 

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »

Sorry 602, meant to add that even if you buy a second-hand Apple device, you can still go in and get the training.
Just talking to SWMBO, and she said “ Just get an i-pad. Very simple to use, light & easy to carry about, and as powerful as many laptops - just better”

Go in an Apple store and ask them to demonstrate one for you. 

Richard

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5937
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 01:46:57 PM »

I second that. I started my digital life as a Windows user, DOS even, but eventually, out of sheer exasperation with the user unfriendlyness of Windows, all the virus, adware, firewall, networking annoyances, I made the switch to Apple and MacOS. My only regret is I didn't make the switch earlier. Main reason? Ease of use. It seems to me an iPad could be the right solution. If you'r happy to use a keyboard, just click one in, by wire or wireless. People say Apple is expensive. I don't know if that's true. It costs more money then your average Windows entry model, but that doesn't mean Apples are expensive.

As far as fibre is concerned: do it, yesterday. I live in a little village connected to the internet by copper and relaystations dating from the seventies. We struggled to get 5 MB. Four years ago we got fibre. The ISP promises 350 Mbps, we now are at, one moment, speedtesting, 357 Mbps down and 359 Mbps up…

I love my Discovery 1 300 TDi, but it's a "filthy diesel" (and tax-wise much more epensive) which means I can't go everywhere with a car that is supposed to go everywhere. I considered an engine swap, maybe a Rover V8 of some sort, but decided against it, too much hassle, no environmental gain whatsoever…

Richard

Sorry 602, meant to add that even if you buy a second-hand Apple device, you can still go in and get the training.
Just talking to SWMBO, and she said “ Just get an i-pad. Very simple to use, light & easy to carry about, and as powerful as many laptops - just better”

Go in an Apple store and ask them to demonstrate one for you.
1964 S2a, 1997 Disco 1, 1978 RRC

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 02:28:38 PM »

No
Emissions are based on the age of the vehicle, the date on the V5C.
And must conform to the VOSA data in the MoT manual relating to that year.

From the 2019 Government MOT Testers Manual:

"Vehicles fitted with a different engine

If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that’s older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine.

If a vehicle first used on or after 1 September 2002 is fitted with a different engine, you must test it to the emissions standards for the age of the vehicle."

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 03:03:01 PM »

I fully echo the comments suggesting having a look at an Apple product.

Dad was highly computer literate - probably more so than me. He did O-level computing in the 1980s as an evening class and remained very much up to speed. When he died, Mum needed something she could cope with and bought an Apple laptop. 13yrs on and it is still causing her no problems. I know this because I do not have phone calls asking me to remotely diagnose issues with a computer I know nothing about! She does go to the Apple store (in Bluewater) from time to time and comes away happy, which confirms to me that they are people of infinite patience.

As far as fibre is concerned: do it, yesterday. I live in a little village connected to the internet by copper and relaystations dating from the seventies. We struggled to get 5 MB. Four years ago we got fibre. The ISP promises 350 Mbps, we now are at, one moment, speedtesting, 357 Mbps down and 359 Mbps up…

We also live in a little village, in Essex, about 1.5miles from the nearest town. Outside my house the pigeons sit along the wires. We are convinced that they are actually there to carry the data packets as that would account for the (lack of) speed. With no options other than the BT lines, we get what we are given. BT switches the lines around at the exchange, downgrading the rate, until enough people complain and we then get some speed back. We have now been 'upgraded' to about a mile away and running a check this morning, we get 2.0MB download, 0.4MB upload, which for here is a big improvement. The fibre lines were put in last year - as soon as they are ready to connect up we will be straight on it. Strongly recommend doing the same!

Alec

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »

If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that’s older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine.

Hi Clifford,

That is sort of my understanding ... from reading Kit Car magazines, many years ago. Er ... no mention of pre-2002 vehicles fitted with newer engines, or did I miss something? No doubt there is a logical tree (aka ... Idiot sheet).

Only recently did a main dealer in MK offer a "one owner" 1971 Range Rover with FSH for £1,500. Doh!

I tried to find a piccy of my Austin Champ on Photobucket ... and there it was - GONE, along with a lot of other pics. I hope it is a matter of this Techno-wimp not knowing how to access the pics. I assume that my £6 per month gives me authority to frown at the?

I'm hoping Wittsend may have secreted away, a picture of my Austin Champ (I think about 2000kg ULW ??? and on 750 x 16 tyres). I had removed the B60 (?) engine and gear box, and dropped in a BMC 2.2 LD diesel. Performance was adequate, and it was cheaper to run than Barbara's Hillman Imp, but only because diesel was significantly cheaper diesel.

If an LD can pull 2000kg, then surely a 2286cc pertol enine can pull the same weight?

Clifford Pope

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »

It's whichever is the older, car or engine.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »

I'll pass on this.

Either way retro fitting a Series engine into a Disco or RR is a bad move IMHO.

:wooly-jumper
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 16 queries.