S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford conversion kits  (Read 1092 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Ford conversion kits
« on: January 17, 2020, 05:25:30 AM »

Hi

See https://www.steveparkers.com/conversion-kits-ford-3-0-v6/

This was a Steve Parker kit, to fit Ford V6 engines into Series Land Rovers. It seems they are no longer in production.

The Ford V6, in a Series, is more economical than the 2286.

I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. My ex-Robin Rew "racing barge" LBM563G,  (similar unladen weight to an S2), was later fitted with a hairy engine built from parts lying around his workshop. I had delivered my car, from Swansea to Towcester, consuming many gallons of water en route. Coolant poured out the exhaust  as fast as I poured it into the radiator ... but it got me there.

That "bitza" engine was fantastic, returning about 30mpg towing a caravan round Devon and Cornwall, and leaving two black lines if you stamped on the accelerator pedal at 20mph in first gear (without the caravan). Regretfully, one day there was a sudden silence ... at 45mph in first gear. The camshaft gear wheel had broken up. The Ford V6 is what they call an "interference" engine ... pistons can interfere with the valves.

We had another Scimitar GTE, but nowhere near as exciting., but Barbara "done" that engine, while driving back from Cardington to Swansea.  She had forgotten my instructions to pull into the next lay-by at the first indication that the heater was blowing cold.

I replaced that engine and gearbox with a lump from Cortina GT (2000cc), that had failed it's MOT. It was like driving a car with overdrive but no bottom gear.  Not too bad ... unless you had to do a hill start. I've met that problem with a 109" ... fitted with RR diffs, while pulling an 1,100kg caravan ... you quickly learn how to double-declutch when changing from LO to HI.

To the point ... it is/was reputed that any Ford gearbox will bolt onto any Ford engine. So ... if you can find a conversion kit, you should be able to convert your Series to a Ford Anglia engine (I'm joking) or whatever is the biggest Transit diesel (or petrol) engine available. I'm assuming that Transits have better power and reliability, and are usually less than 50 years old?

Doh! Maybe I should have Googled TRANSIT CONVERSION FOR SERIES LAND ROVER? Please ignore this mail.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Ford conversion kits
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 05:33:03 AM »

Hi again, only minutes later.

I done a Google ... SERIES LAND ROVER CONVERT TO FORD TRANSIT ENGINE

Too many replies to list, so do your own search ... if you are that way inclined.

I'll get my coat.

PS. If I go this route, I'll do it on an S3 (promise), or maybe a Disco ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.