S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brainstorming propulsion by hand.  (Read 4240 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Brainstorming propulsion by hand.
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 04:57:47 PM »

^^^ Some similar mechanism but using a redundant starter motor, a battery and a suitable switch might be less hard work.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »

Not quite the same but I have used a couple of good ratchet straps to load a dead vehicle onto my trailer.

Put one in place and ratchet up. Without letting off any tension, set up the second, pull tight and ratchet up. Leave that on tight and reset the first one which is now loose. Repeat as needed.

It works OK when alone and pulls about 8 to 10 inches per go. For a short pull when the trailer ramps can be got right up to the dead vehicle it is quicker and easier than running out then packing up the tirfor cable.

Many years ago I and a mate used a variation of this with one ratchet strap and a high-lift jack to recover his vehicle 80 yards up the bank from a stream bed in the wilds of Wales after the electric winch failed when greenlaning.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for all your words of wisdom.

Ebay for car transporting ... I hadn't though of that. Fingers crossed.

This wouldn't be a problem in the Swansea Valley. On more than one occasion, the gang have responded to a past-midnight call for help from an inebriated female. On arrival, they found her starkers on her bed. So they covered her up, made a cup of coffee, and went home.

I'm not sure if I know any gangs like that in MK ... too civilised.

Whatever, I think I've got enough advice to be getting on with. Thankyou!

PS ... Unless you know of a Transit recovery truck and driver in MK. I don't know if being over 80 prevents my hiring such a truck. Hang on, there is a transporter trailer lying in a front garden, opposite my daughters house. About three miles away. I assume he has a tow-vehicle.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.