S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CARDEN BRAKING - 602's project  (Read 1306 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
CARDEN BRAKING - 602's project
« on: June 22, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »

Hi,

Brain on gimbals time! I still keep pondering on going automatic on my project, but the need for a parking brake keeps rearing its ugly head.  I would rather not use the very early S2 109" rear brakes, which appear to have hand brake cams built into the rear wheel cylinders (and then chopped off ... not insurmountable).

So I've been Googling away, looking for LAND ROVER SERIES CARDEN BRAKING, and found a picture of an Antipodean Ceremonial Series differential with a disc hand brake on the back end of the rear prop-shaft.

Unfortunately, the image got lost in the translation to this forum. I have another go later.

In the meantime, does anybody have any ideas for fitting a hand brake to a Series back axle, other than the two examples mentioned? I have seenn adverts in UK for transmission hand brake conversions for ordinary cars, ... but there they were ...gone.

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
Re: CARDEN BRAKING - 602's project
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »

1. Austin Gipsy rear axle - dunno what the ratio is but it'll only matter if you put it into 4WD.  As you only really need 4WD on soft ground there'll probably be enough slip in the tyres.

2. Early LWB 11 in rear brakes take a cylinder derived from that used on Rover P4's which have a handbrake expander incorporated.  Use P4 cylinders and make up some cable system.  Obviously you'll need to change the front brakes for 11in - I'm not saying it would be safe!

3. With care it may be possible to incorporate a modern handbrake linkage - with that expanding strut mechanism that is supposed to self - adjust but seldom does.  The mechanism used by Triumph and Hillman on the (Arrow) range was rather better.  As the modern mechanism is mainly used on rather small brakes it may be necessary to copy and enlarge it.

4. Didn't Ashcroft transmissions make a conversion kit to get someone's auto to fit the Land Rover transfer box? 

5. Might not something like a London taxi be a better base?  Didn't some use a chassis based on the early Range Rover - with a fibreglass body? (Recogniseable by the body roll no doubt!). 

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 06:47:46 PM »

Hi FJ,

Some provoking thoughts there ...

Austin Gypsy axle? Are you suggesting that a Gypsy axle will a) fit, and b) has conventional rear brakes c) Gypsies still exist?

Remember that I'm starting with a 4x2 , and fitting smaller wheels (to drop the seat height), and fitting a smaller engine (to compensate for the increased engine turns per mile).

Hmmm! ... If I could fit a suitable rear axle, with the differential in the middle ... and contrive to get the gear-box tail-shaft UNDER the bulkhead cross-member ......Auto? Back to the drawing board.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 07:37:28 PM »

Hi,

I had a thought (my brain hurts) while enjoying my evening nosh

The SVA/IVA points system says something like ... "AXLES (BOTH) = 2 points (or whatever). Can somebody clarify that for this Englishman?

Does it mean that the front axle gets you two points, and the rear axle gets you two points? Or that having both of the original axles gets you two points ... and one axle gets you zilch?  Which raises questions about tricycles, and cars with wishbones instead of axles, and six wheelers.

I'll keep taking the tablets.

I saw a letter at DVLC, mid 1970s, saying that if a vehicle had four wheels ... but only three of them could touch the ground at any one time ... then it was a tricycle. I wonder who asked the question?  :stars

There is something in my memory banks about a vet seeking clarification about a three wheeler moped ( < 50cc ), with a single wheel at the front and a pair of half-tracks at the rear. I never saw the answer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 17 queries.