S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying petrol on Xmas day.  (Read 1332 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Buying petrol on Xmas day.
« on: December 24, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »

Hi,

So I've been poorly for a few days, and keeping myself indoors. I'm still a bit shaky

The fuel gauge on Freelander is reading a short "quarter", which is lower than I'm comfortable with.

Tomorrow I have to fetch our daughter, and her two ginormous offspring. for dinner. Three miles and return. And the same to take them home. Only a total of 12 miles, but closer than I'm comfortable with.

Question ... do self-service petrol stations still operate on Christmas day?

PS, Barbara's Hyundai's tank is virtually full, but I'd rather take a truck with planty of space.

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
Re: Buying petrol on Xmas day.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 09:10:23 PM »

I’m sure these days there are loads of owner/operators that don’t celebrate Christmas that will be open.
Gooooooooogle is your friend. :first

Manxcat

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 4228
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 10:33:28 PM »

Look for a supermarket petrol station that has self service pumps you put your card in.
Such as the  Asda Milton Keynes Supercentre, Bletcham Way, Bletchley MK1 1QB.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »

Hi,

Thanks both, that's the sort of answer I was hoping for.

Crazy, I know, but nowadays, I seldom drive outside the route between my house in Two Mile Ash, and my daughter's house in Bletchley, using the A5 (Watling Street) and a short stretch of the A421 (Stansted Way), and don't pass any pumps.

Street signs are for the benefit of people who already know the way. I clocked 16 miles getting home from where I last brimmed the tank. I just followed the signs for Milton Keynes, found my self on a new stretch of the M1. ??? I am no longer fit to be allowed out on my own.

Actually, that's not true. I can find my way to anywhere in the UK (except a petrol station) using a school atlas. Yes I have a sat-nav, but on several occasions, I have found it directing me 180 degrees out.

Barbara  suggested a new sat-nav for Xmas. I felt it safer to decline.

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 09:34:00 AM »

John, if you can’t find anywhere open, give me a ring on 07828 442241 and I will come and top up your car or freelander from a Jerry can. Dave

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »

bit late to the party but you never know....... most shell garages are open, the one at the end of our road never closes, 24/7 365, although it might be a bit out of the way for your journey  :shakeinghead

There is a shell and BP garage just up the road from you near Screwfix  :tiphat

Shell 01908 223140
BP 01908 316547

give them a call see if they are open, ask for a christmas discount  :-X
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 05:45:40 AM »

Hi Gibbo and Big Chris,

Thankyou for your offers, but Barbara frowned at me, demanded that I squeeze two generations of ginormouse offspring into her Hyundai, so sorted.

Gibbo, your offer is reciprocated, should our positions be reversed. Er ... include anybody/everybody in that. If I can help, subject to family commitments, I will. Uncomfortable double folding bed, in study, and a couple of Adjustamatic armchairs (fold flat, extending foot rests), available, in lounge.

Later, Barbara did some research, found the M-way service stations MUST NOT Close, (to benefit HGV drivers) and something similar with 24-hour stations?

Gibbo, my own research suggests that the little Mini-Mart, and pumps, two roundabouts down (towards you) from my Daughter, just off Standing Way is listed as 24 hour .

602 (Unfitted for the modern world)

PS. If you are stranded near Pontardawe, in the Swansea Valley, I'm sure my mate Gabe (Reg Gen of Shipping, retired) would be happy to help, and enjoy doing so.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »

Hi,

To repeat  ... SORTED. I used the Hyundai, which now only has an "almost" full tank, and I'll use the Freelander tomorrow (same journey" and use the 24-hour garage on the A421 (?) between my daughter's house and Gibbo's.

It will also enable my to do an accurate (?) fuel consumption check, using the pump receipt, and the odometer (set specially for the occasion).

My thanks to all. This wouldn't have happened if I hadn't had the CV jab. I'm now just shivering a little, if not well wrapped. The violent shuddering was quite frightening.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.