S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you hand crank a Rover up a hill?  (Read 10181 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Can you hand crank a Rover up a hill?
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2021, 04:54:15 PM »

A OT question but why was ^^^this thought to be a good idea at the time :stars

Hi Stain

A clutchless change from top into first gear, at 60mph, was just showing off. :shakeinghead.

Having changed my Minivan for the Rover (1997cc), I added my normal gallon of petrol .... and ran out about 10 miles later. On one memorable trip from Thetford to South London, when broke, I slip-streamed coaches, and free-wheeled at every opportunity. I managed to get about 30mpg.

I sometimes wonder if the (lockable) free-wheel on the front of 80" gearbox ... giving selectable full or part-time four wheel, was similar to that used on the back of P3 (and P4?) cars. On my P3 (?) 1997cc Granny Rover, turning the big knob on the dashboard unlocked the free-wheel unit, so that you only had foreward drive when the gearbox main-shaft wanted to turn faster than the prop-shaft. About 55 years ago, so I can't remember if I had to lock the free-wheel if I wanted to reverse.

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2021, 04:58:22 PM »

Myself and SWMBO watched the movie (Ice Cold in Alex) last night all 2 hours 22 minutes of it, I must say it was not bad, not bad at all.
  I did learn a few things other than when hand cracking a vehicle backwards up a hill make sure to hang on to the handle and have a helper manning the hand brake. If I ever have to drive through a desert I will be sure to bring along a complete spare rear axle spring and TWO jacks, so you do not have to rely on those flimsy desert rocks to support the vehicle as you change the spring with your bare hands.

SWMBO was kind of wondering why I was watching this movie normally I just watch movies like this in case there is a Land rover sighting, she was wondering where all the Land rovers were  :thud  I said just wait they were not invented till near the end of the war there might be one near the end of the movie it just depends how many days it takes them to get across the desert.

Anyway more snow another 5-6 inches last night so the event is still on hold.

Victor

1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2021, 01:10:48 AM »

Victor, the Sierra's have gotten 193 inches of snow THIS MONTH! A new record for Dec. :snowman-1 :tiphat :snowflake

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2021, 07:43:09 AM »

@diffwhine   it's very simple why your image was compressed, it's that huge piece of elephant hide stretched clear across the truck.  Someone spilled a beer on it and it shrunk.     :tiphat

OK I'm still thinking about blocks and tackles.  Consider these diagrams, numbered 1 thru 4. 

In #1 pulling the green lead down gives a 1:2 advantage because C is fixed and A + B = C  so their forces will be halved.

In #2 the force on D equals the force on C, the cosine of X between D and F is zero so there is no "vertical" component to add to C to provide an advantage, like there is with B plus A.  If A and B are motionless, then D equals F by rotation of moment arms.

In #3 the force on D equals F, it's mechanically the same thing. There is no mechanical advantage as long as A remains motionless.

In #4 D is colinear with F so the force F equals A + B + C + D, so pulling A or D requires 1/4 the force.

Now I have to think about the angles X and their cosines.  This is a vector problem and the benefit derived from the leftmost pulley depends on the angle at which its line leaves its surface, ranging from 0 to 90 to 180 degrees.  Hmmmmm. 

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2021, 07:51:19 AM »

Ahhhhhhh, here we go.  Sure 'nuff it's the cosine of the angle of applied force.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »

My brain has just exploded...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

jonhutchings

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »

Ahhhhhhh, here we go.  Sure 'nuff it's the cosine of the angle of applied force.

ha, I just spent some time wondering what TREE in the brown circles stood for, now I feel stupid  :-X

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2021, 03:56:48 PM »

Hi genocache  I came from Alberta 30 years ago I know snow, its different out here on the "wet coast of Canada" 2-3 inches of :snowflake and  the roads are utterly shut down its kind of unbelievable, its wet slippery stuff that packs into solid ice as soon as it gets driven on.  Best just to stay home in front of the fire.

Hi nanuq   Thanks for the diagrams my head hurts as well.
Here is a perfect example of your math skills put to work, this is from maybe 6 years ago about this time of year in the mountains west of Chemanus on Vancouver island. The Disco slid backwards maybe 100 yards down the hill (which was literally packed down to ice) into the ditch, (the disco had 3 female passengers there was a lot of screaming going on) we used the 109s front PTO winch and a tree (with a tree strap to protect the tree) and a pulley strategically placed to get the poor disco out of its resting spot it was a good fun day.

Victor

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2021, 04:57:32 PM »

Two nice vehicles there ^.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2022, 08:48:04 AM »

@island dormy   those are two fine looking trucks, but of course I prefer the 109.  What a looker.

I love pulling people out with my 88" 2A.  It's funny but some folks feel like it's an insult to their manliness or something, to have a quaint old beastie helping them.  If the snow is hard and cold, low range and a snatch strap does amazing things.  My best pull yet was a monstrous long 1982 Chevy Suburban full of sled dogs with sleds on top.  The driver was a high school girl going out to work her dogs and unfortunately she was a better dog driver than truck driver.  My little 2A pulled that whole mess right out of the ditch.  Honestly, I was a little surprised.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2022, 11:49:33 AM »

Hi Nanuq,

In the UK, that's called "pulling the birds"

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2022, 11:04:42 PM »

The driver was a high school girl going out to work her dogs and unfortunately she was a better dog driver than truck driver.

Hi,

... and then there was the story of the RAF fighter pilot, who tried to excuse him tail-gating the car in front, despite him having assumed fast reactions.

He said had pulled the steering wheel back ... same as he always did when passing something. :thud

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2022, 12:35:23 AM »

72 posts, 18 days and still waiting for  action.
.W.

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2022, 12:52:33 AM »

If you can hand crank a Rover up a hill,   Island Dormy has a  :cheersjob for you.

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2022, 01:45:01 AM »

Hi Guys

Still lots and lots of snow here so it wont be this week.  I've been working on my cardio, cause I know its going to be tough.

Victor
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 16 queries.