S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Heritage Land Rover mag, WH Smiths, RRCs, P38s and more  (Read 3936 times)

Sunny Jim

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 16
  • .:
  • I was born in Lode Lane so it's no wonder!
Re: Heritage Land Rover Magazine
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 11:27:24 PM »

I stopped reading CLR as I was only reading a maximum of half the articles. This looks like it will cover exactly the same material?

I shan't bother (unless I have to go back to my former employer to have more bits cut off)!

Sunny Jim
Series 2 Club Member 16

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2023, 09:16:26 AM »

Up to the end of the Tdi then.
At a subscription price of £25 for 4 issues annually I won't be subscribing. I'll have a look when it appears on the shelf in the local Smith's.

Good time period but like you I'll buy one and have a look :bright-idea

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2023, 11:58:58 AM »

I don't intend buying one, oilstain. I'll just take it off the shelf, have a scan and put it back unless there's something really interesting then I'll probably buy it.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2023, 12:24:11 PM »

I don't intend buying one, oilstain. I'll just take it off the shelf, have a scan and put it back unless there's something really interesting then I'll probably buy it.
Wise man :bright-idea

Mycroft

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2023, 12:27:32 PM »

I rarely find myself in town, even less WH Smith, so it'd be great to hear opinions, if anyone gets a chance to leaf through a copy. I dare say we're not the market, but I am curious to know how it stacks up against CLR.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2023, 12:32:00 PM »

^^^ I fear that many people no longer go to towns or WH Smiths (out of town store apart) due to parking problems/charges and the time it takes :shakeinghead

Mycroft

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2023, 12:37:04 PM »

Very true. I was a lifelong fan of Smiths and have been finding excuses to check out their branches since the 70s - as a child, husband and later parent. But it's become a fairly grim place in the last decade - no I don't want half a tree of receipts and offers of money off next week on things I won't be buying; no I don't want to pay that price for basic stationery and cards; no I don't want to overhear you and your work colleague shouting about your personal lives so loudly I forget why I came in. And no I don't want to give you my blinking email address or see a look of disapproval when I tell you that.

Yes I am turning into one of Harry Enfield's Old Gits. And not the nice one...

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 12:46:47 PM »

:o
What he said!

Mycroft

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2023, 12:48:59 PM »

:o
What he said!

Ha! Diolch yn fawr Oilstain  :cheers

• Master of the oils
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2023, 02:08:01 PM »

There has been a bloke on local radio that my elderly mother insists on having on, otherwise I would not have heard it in passing.

I think he was editor of practical classics.  He was on about 205's, orions and mastros!

It made me wonder how many of the the folk buying selling and owning these truly are enthusiasts or speculators looking to make money.

He kept making reference to the ULEZ exemption as a plus point.

Only late on did he refer to spannering ease and parts prices.

jonhutchings

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2023, 03:57:12 PM »

Very true. I was a lifelong fan of Smiths and have been finding excuses to check out their branches since the 70s - as a child, husband and later parent. But it's become a fairly grim place in the last decade - no I don't want half a tree of receipts and offers of money off next week on things I won't be buying; no I don't want to pay that price for basic stationery and cards; no I don't want to overhear you and your work colleague shouting about your personal lives so loudly I forget why I came in. And no I don't want to give you my blinking email address or see a look of disapproval when I tell you that.

Yes I am turning into one of Harry Enfield's Old Gits. And not the nice one...

Ha my wife always used to say something similar about w.h. smith and I used to defend them, until recently when my experiences have been exactly as you describe. Also given how few customers  they seem to get, how is it that they are ALWAYS dons some kind of shelf restocking/inventory check/store reorganising when I go into one of their branches.

No I don't want some chocolate for a pound, or whatever mutli-buy offer you've been told to push

Mycroft

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2023, 04:38:19 PM »

Ha my wife always used to say something similar about w.h. smith and I used to defend them, until recently when my experiences have been exactly as you describe. Also given how few customers  they seem to get, how is it that they are ALWAYS dons some kind of shelf restocking/inventory check/store reorganising when I go into one of their branches.

No I don't want some chocolate for a pound, or whatever mutli-buy offer you've been told to push

I'd forgotten about the endless chocolate pushing since they turned into shills for Big Sugar! If I wanted a bar of chocolate, I think I'd probably have picked one up, thanks. I just want to pay and get the hell out of here, if that's remotely possible.

Mycroft

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2023, 04:40:25 PM »

There has been a bloke on local radio that my elderly mother insists on having on, otherwise I would not have heard it in passing.

I think he was editor of practical classics.  He was on about 205's, orions and mastros!

It made me wonder how many of the the folk buying selling and owning these truly are enthusiasts or speculators looking to make money.

He kept making reference to the ULEZ exemption as a plus point.

Only late on did he refer to spannering ease and parts prices.

To be fair, it's a legit reason to buy an old classic at the moment - the ULEZ thing is a nightmare for many folks. I'm sure that loophole will be closed soon enough.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2023, 08:10:52 AM »

I just want to pay and get the hell out of here, if that's remotely possible.

My last visit was to Smiths in Tewsbury, a small branch. I picked up a newspaper and went to the counter - NO STAFF, I looked and spoted one filling a shelf, she said we dont serve people we fill up the stock, if you want to buy somthing use the machine. I left the newspaper on the counter and left the store :stars

A shop down the road was happy to serve me....

Mycroft

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2023, 08:30:51 AM »

That's terrible.

Years ago, this sort of thread would have been gold dust to a Board member trying to stop the rot. Nowadays, you get the feeling they know perfectly well what they're doing and why. I doubt they'd give a damn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.