S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover is no more.  (Read 5341 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Land Rover is no more.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 09:35:34 AM »

You are right Chris.
I have a simple view on this. In October 2008, Land Rover as it was, was on the verge of going under. they had to change and reinvent or die completely. I'm not sure that people believe how desperately close we were to that happening. In my view, the Land Rover that I can relate to died in 2008 and the phoenix that we have now, I agree was the only way forward. I would however challenge their decision making process of widening their model range - especially with Jaguar models and blurring the lines between the different models. They all now look the same coming towards me now and that's not just my bad eyesight. I challenge anybody meeting a Velar or an Evoque coming towards them to work out which is which now!

To me the underlying issue is that JLR need to address the perceived quality issues with their products. Ingenium engine failures, water leaks etc. etc. It simply is not good enough. I joke about LR's inability to build a vehicle properly has kept me in beers for 30+ years, but it is unacceptable in this day and age.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »

Having owned one of their latest creations I wouldn't hold much hope for the future electrification they seemed to be going down, the technical capabilities I've experienced would suggest it's best steered well clear of them certainly when you see what they charge. It's such a shame when the potential is / was there.

Bradfordseries2

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1047
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 10:00:36 AM »

As an ex-employee, all I can say is that I think they lost their way many years ago with the principle of "Premium Product, Premium Price". Then putting my former dealer's has on, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at any of the dealers who have spent millions of £££s rebranding the Twin Arch Jaguar / Land Rover concept.

Sad from a historical perspective, but as both my 2As were built by the Rover Co Ltd, not Land Rover and both show as Land Rover 88" Series 2A vehicles on the chassis plate, has anything really changed? Land Rover was a product of the Rover Company Ltd and now Defender is a product of JLR.

What it goes to prove to me is that JLR is less able to pull on it's heritage if it goes down this route - in reality that's all.

The dealer group I used to work for has spent many millions of pounds making their sites to conform to the current dual brand corporate image. If it was my cash I would be upset if that was now going to be changed again.

Regarding the heritage side of things, one of the sites I worked at had a 1949 LBTG 80” in the showroom. As part of the last revamp “that old thing has to go” as it wasn’t in keeping with the current image. Most customers loved looking round it and chatting about the one they used to have/parents had. A great loss when it went.

I left Land Rover in 2016 and they were trying to be top end prestige but with high volume. The factory didn’t seem to be set up support wise to accommodate this. I think the JLR group will struggle with an all electric line up as electrics has never been a strong point of theirs!
Member 1047

1960 88" petrol hard top - undergoing restoration
1969 88" diesel Station Wagon- restoration required
1971 88" petrol hard top - retirement project!

jonhutchings

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 10:11:43 AM »

It's very clear that they have been positioning themselves as a luxury brand for a long time. This step is the latest move .

This is from their reimagine strategy (their name for this shake up)

"Reimagine is our roadmap for the future; it is our strategy to realise our vision to be proud creators of the most desirable, modern luxury brands, for the most discerning of clients."

Maybet they are looking to do something with the Rover brand which is owned by Tata,  Interestingly the title of the Land Rover UK site (what you see as the name of the tab on your browser)  is "Rover 4x4 vehicles and Luxury SUV".

Perhaps Tata will be making utility 4x4 under the Rover brand, lets see if we can think of a good name for them.

MineRover

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4451
  • .:
  • 1967 88" & 1964 109"
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2023, 10:58:40 AM »

To quote from the article "Gerry McGovern, JLR’s chief designer, said that Sir William Lyons, Jaguar’s founder, had originally demanded that the brand “will be a copy of nothing”".

Is it only me who sees the irony in McGovern quoting Sir William Lyons when he has spent the last ten years copying his one idea the Evoque so now everything in their range is a copy of something else! 

Sadly Land Rover died when the last real Defender rolled down the line in 2016.  :'(

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2023, 11:05:52 AM »

For me, I lost interest when they changed to the green oval  :shakeinghead

:LR badge  :first

Their company, their business.

Who's a then ?

Ironchicken64

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7488
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2023, 11:59:41 AM »

I'm with you Wittsend on that one.

Bloke

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6610
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2023, 01:56:05 PM »

It'll be quite sad to no longer see Land Rover branding on new cars, but let's be honest, "Land Rover" was all but gone when the final Defender rolled off the line in 2016.

:gren_hinges

Tom
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 8197
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 02:10:45 PM »

They are not the same company ever since Tata (Goodbye!) took over, I have seen new Range Rover just 2 years old with chassis rusted through, they are made to a price now, not a quality, they have a lot of quality issues, Go onto LandyZone, and they complain a lot about the quality
Roads? Who Needs Roads.

Get more than 3 pensioners together and they will form a committee.

Been with the S2C since 2002

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2023, 02:18:32 PM »

I found this online:

"While there aren’t any official statements from Land Rover about the meaning behind the logo designed by co-founder Maurice Wilks, there are a few speculations that could be close to the mark.

Shape: Rumor has it that the oval shape of the logo was inspired by a tin of fish, which the designer Maurice Wilks was eating for lunch at the time.
Color: The green may symbolize nature and a Land Rover model’s ability to get you out of the city and off the paved roads. It may also be an homage to the British Racing Green color that was used on vehicles to represent Britain in international motorsports.
Zigzag: Some believe that the original streaking line that developed into two symbols flanking the text is an abstract representation of the Land Rover slogan “Above and Beyond.
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2023, 02:25:23 PM »

They are not the same company ever since Tata (Goodbye!) took over, I have seen new Range Rover just 2 years old with chassis rusted through, they are made to a price now, not a quality, they have a lot of quality issues, Go onto LandyZone, and they complain a lot about the quality
That being so, just how bad must it have been before Ford took over? Didn`t they find appalling quality with Jaguar & Land Rover before making significant improvements  ???

Bloke

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6610
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2023, 02:27:38 PM »

Crikey, I've not been on LandyZone in many years. I used to use that forum before I found the S2C back when I was "doing up" my first Series 2. Must have been around 2009. Was a good place. Lots of rebuild threads full of information.

Dopey

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 8197
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2023, 02:58:11 PM »

Crikey, I've not been on LandyZone in many years. I used to use that forum before I found the S2C back when I was "doing up" my first Series 2. Must have been around 2009. Was a good place. Lots of rebuild threads full of information.

I still go there (Its less serious there) but not saying its not good here, just different, I still use it, it was more for the P38, we invented the P38 Hot start there  :RHD

jonhutchings

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2023, 04:13:06 PM »

I found this online:

"While there aren’t any official statements from Land Rover about the meaning behind the logo designed by co-founder Maurice Wilks, there are a few speculations that could be close to the mark.

Shape: Rumor has it that the oval shape of the logo was inspired by a tin of fish, which the designer Maurice Wilks was eating for lunch at the time.
Color: The green may symbolize nature and a Land Rover model’s ability to get you out of the city and off the paved roads. It may also be an homage to the British Racing Green color that was used on vehicles to represent Britain in international motorsports.
Zigzag: Some believe that the original streaking line that developed into two symbols flanking the text is an abstract representation of the Land Rover slogan “Above and Beyond.

Wow what a load of rubbish. The colour of the badge wasn't green until recently - all series land rovers (ok apart from a small number of early series ones) were black and silver.  The Zigzag was present from (almost) day one, well before the slogan "Above and Beyond" which was dreamt up by marketing rotes in the 2000's some 50+ years later.

Some people believe the internet contains factually correct information.....

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2023, 04:58:23 PM »

Wow what a load of rubbish. The colour of the badge wasn't green until recently - all series land rovers (ok apart from a small number of early series ones) were black and silver.  The Zigzag was present from (almost) day one, well before the slogan "Above and Beyond" which was dreamt up by marketing rotes in the 2000's some 50+ years later.

Some people believe the internet contains factually correct information.....

Yep, there's a lot of stuff out there Jon & much of it is rubbish. This one appears to be a LR dealership (at least they advertise LRs for sale) in the USA.

https://www.landroverfreeport.com/land-rover-logo/

This one claims the green logo dates back to 1989  ???

https://car-brand-names.com/land-rover-logo/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.