S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utility/stationwagon red tape.  (Read 2563 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Utility/stationwagon red tape.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »

We have a special section on the forum for People's restoration stories.

Forumeers like to read of others progress, it gives them ideas and encouragement for their own projects ....  :cheers
Who's a then ?

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 09:38:40 AM »

I have an original station wagon here so if you need photos of the chassis mods, let me know and I'll see what I can do. They are minimal though really, remove the front 109 utility floor supports and fit lower ones for the middle floor. There is then a support for the front of the tub and some brackets on the outrigger for the tub to bolt too, that is about it. Oh, Grind the tailgate hinges off the rear crossmember if you want true station wagon appearance.

The V5c for my vehicle only describes it as a 109" Land Rover - 4 CYL, Light 4x4 Utility, so no mention of seat numbers or body style.
I would just convert it and carry on as you have been in the past.

Insurance can be interesting though. Adrian Flux last year didn't ask about seat numbers but when I tried Classic line insurance they did ask and soon as I said 10 seats, the reply was sorry sir, we can't insure that....?

Craig.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »

10 seats and they are likely to want to insure you as a minibus and possibly you need the minibusgroup on your licence. (I lost this when I renewed my licence at 70

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »

I have an original station wagon here so if you need photos of the chassis mods, let me know and I'll see what I can do. They are minimal though really, remove the front 109 utility floor supports and fit lower ones for the middle floor. There is then a support for the front of the tub and some brackets on the outrigger for the tub to bolt too, that is about it. Oh, Grind the tailgate hinges off the rear crossmember if you want true station wagon appearance.

I may be overly cautious here, but unless anyone has specific information to the contrary I personally would be concerned that this would be regarded as major modification.

It doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't, but there is a difference between an interpretive view of the term major modification and the technical definition of the term as applied when assessing a chassis, ie something can constitute 'major modification' in an official context which from a general point of view you would not think would do so.

The discussions I have seen on other forums around this point (mainly MG related) have reached the conclusion that cutting -anything- off the chassis whether structural or not constitutes major modification in an official sense, whereas adding things within the existing chassis envelope does not. For example, if you install a different engine which needs different chassis mounts, cutting the old ones off and moving them would constitute a major modification whereas simply adding additional mounts would not. Cutting a crossmember and welding it back in a slightly different place, or fixing it with bolts instead, would constitute a major modification but welding extra tabs on to the chassis for mounting points, e.g. seatbelts, would not.

The mods here are mostly additions but there is some subtraction so it is right on the line and I wouldn't care to call which way it would be interpreted if it was ever inspected. In principle, it is still a factory specification, but not for the same vehicle model. This is identifiable from the vehicle ID prefix.

In practice, I think the change is subtle enough not to get picked up but there is a difference between being certain you are the right side of the line and not being caught on the wrong side. Personally, I think this is too close to call as to which side of the line you would be, and I wouldn't want to put all the time, effort and money into the vehicle with any uncertainty involved.

The VRO can advise better than me what the current state of play on this point is.

Alec

Mark547

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6974
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 10:21:28 AM »

Valid points all. Alec I will definitely be talking with the VRO before modifying anything on the chassis although it would take a particularly knowledgable MOT guy to spot any  of these changes if they are done correctly I think. The seat number does concern me a bit as I want to be able to use it as bit of a people carrier and take seven or maybe eight people in it but no more than that. Perhaps restrict it to seven and have forward facing rear most seats like the defender?
Craig I would most appreciate some chassis photos once I start reassembly and also more details about the extra cross members at the front of the tub as these are missing or badly corroded on mine.

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »

The Club's view on whether changing to station wagon from utility (or other way) is that it is NOT a major modification

Alex  (with MOT Exemption hat on !)
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 05:23:11 PM »

10 seats and they are likely to want to insure you as a minibus and possibly you need the minibusgroup on your licence. (I lost this when I renewed my licence at 70

Peter
If it's over a certain age you don't need the PSV bit on your licence - you can drive a station wagon but just not fill all the seats I seem got recall (looked into it as I nearly bought a '65 109" station wagon as my first vehicle at 16!)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »

People who drive classic buses and coaches do so on this basis.

:bus :coach :routemaster
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.