S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Healing as fast as I can!  (Read 3348 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Healing as fast as I can!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 06:24:58 AM »

Hi Alan.

I've pondered on that idea for many years, but wondered about the "sensitivity" when lifting the pedal.

A brake servo is intended to be sensitive when you start pressing the pedal.

I reckon that I can feel when a clutch is about to bite/unbite, even if the car is stationary, engine not running. Can't everybody?

Have you ever tried braking ... using your left foot? Make sure there is nobody driving behind you

PS. For a really scary experience, try sitting in the passenger seat of a moving car, watching the road ahead through a pair of binoculars,  :agh

Aimbones

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 10:48:23 AM »

Hi, I had my right knee replaced June last year. I too was walking on a bone to bone joint which is now metal.

I came home from the op in the passenger seat of my 109 which wasn't as comfy as I'd have liked as the then Mrs' Volvo was ill.

It took a couple of months constantly working the knee and following all the exercises but I reached the point where I can move the knee past the magic 90degrees. I can sit in the series happily and have also returned to riding motorcycles after a 5 year break.

I still have some pain and swelling from the joint, but it's so much better than it was. I need to go back and see the sawbones but, of course covid has prevented that this year. 

The regular clunk as I walk was originally disconcerting but I'm told it's nothing to be concerned about and hasn't changed so...

Stick with the physio and you'll be back behind the wheel soon.

I also found raising the seat an inch or so to be beneficial to comfort. 

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 08:52:14 PM »

Howdy gents, how gratifying to come back here and see all these kind replies.  I think I'd put my 2A out of mind since I couldn't drive it, and so put you gents out of mind too.  My apologies.

I've been beating that knee in therapy like a one-eye rented mule and have overdone it twice.  First time I did something bad inside and triggered an anxiety / racing heart / sweating response.  Doc took xrays and said I tore the scar tissue to bits, and my body's response was pure adrenaline, "fight or flight".  He admonished me not to do that again.  Loudly.

The second time I did it worse, he did more xrays, then the calm, genteel demeanor disappeared like a morning mist.  Remember this guy is an Army Ranger.  He explained again how I shouldn't abuse that knee, in a manner that was *cough* persuasive.  He was maybe a foot away and speaking AT THE TOP OF HIS VOICE.  He made his point!

So I've been working it as hard as PT allows, and am up to 108 degrees range of motion.  I tried sitting in the 2A and can push the clutch, but I really don't want him to tear my head off.  So maybe I'll wait another week and ask permission?      :o

Soon!  It's coming soon.  Thanks for all the well wishes!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 12:04:13 AM »

Hi Nanuq,

"Nil illegitimo carburundum" ... which roughly trasnslates into "Do not let those without fathers grind you down".

I regret to say that Barbara has abandoned any thoughts of having her knees replaced, partly persuaded by the lady in a white coat shouting at her because she could/can not stand straight in front of the Xray machine. Her gammy arn will not straighten beyond 90*, so she has to lean forward to reach her stick.

In the UK military, if a sergeant shouts at you, you are expected, even demanded, to shout back, as loud you can.

"You are a horrible little man! What are you?"

"I'm a horrible little man, Sergeant!"

"LOUDER!"

"I'M A HORRIBLE LITTLE MAN, SERGEANT"

"LOUDER"

etc

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.