S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bristol Diesel Ban , the thin end of the wedge ?  (Read 9635 times)

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Bristol Diesel Ban , the thin end of the wedge ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:38:16 AM »

Hi,

I'm trying to visualise a tram x refuse wagon. .... OK, make that a trolly-bus x refuse wagon.

Our leaders should put their money where they suggest we put ours.  Ministerial cars should be based on London's "black cabs ... with a milk-float power-train ... colour coded to indicate the status of the passengers, with wheels painted their "political" colour (Suggestions please?)

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 08:44:41 AM »

More reason to drive a series 2 as being historic they are exempt. Or they are in London.
It feels nuts that I can use my smokey old Tdi but not my wife’s 2009 Honda.

:cheers

We’re all here because we’re not all there.

Steamdriven

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4387
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »

Again Bristol city council showing that it is anti motor vehicle.
As all our requirements are delivered by HGV it means that we the customer who shops in Bristol will have to pay the additional taxes on our purchases.
The other option may be transhipment points outside the  city where loads are moved to eco-friendly transport to deliver into the clean air zone. Who will pay? We will.
Driving businesses out of Bristol or creating more internet sales.
Gordon A

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »

It won't be long before city centres will have cleaner air than the countryside.
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 11:57:49 AM »

Who votes for these councillors  ???

The answer is in the ballot box.

City centres are becoming deserts.
I've not been into Norwich for over a year now - the city centre may as well be on the moon as far as I'm concerned.
There's nothing in there that I need (apart from the Apple shop).

The other solution, apart from owning a Series 2 land Rover is to move.
Not an option for all, but it's there on the table.

It's amazing how the axe swings one way then the other.
Unleaded petrol
Low sulfur diesel
LPG
Bio fuels 
Electric vehicles
What will it be next week ???

All with no real science to support the whims of the "authorities".

Who's a then ?

winchman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 12:34:26 PM »

Our local council employed some one to develop out of town shopping? Town centre is now dead and you guessed it employed some one to develop the two centre.
Another local town is very busy the only difference is free parking?
Liverpool City centre is still very busy especially with tourists, but certain parking areas are extortionate

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

Free parking is the answer  :first

Councils should not be so greedy in demanding parking charges and issuing permits etc.
Can't they see it's driving custom away  :stars

Our City fathers should open up the (local to me) Park-&-Ride site which is closed on Saturdays  :thud surely the busiest shopping day of the week  :shakeinghead

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »

It's amazing how the axe swings one way then the other.

Hi Alan,

In a previous existance, I used to think the same thing about school girl fashions.

Ankle socks. tights, "St Trinians" stockings. Whichever was in fashion, that's the style that was forbidden. I wonder if our Colonial cousins have heard of St Trinians? Perhaps a Google for "St Trinians dress code" will enlighten them"? I'm guessing that those who are aware of what I'm talking about will be smilling, but I think I feel a censorship looming.

So back on topic. Will HGV delivery trucks be exempt from the ban? Will we see more of those little drones that lurk on street corners in Milton Keynes? (Anybody got a picture/video?)

There is something in my memory banks about the ambient temperature in New York changing (can't remember which way) after 9/11. Aparently it was due to the lack of aircraft flying overhead.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 12:52:43 PM »

Given that the average speed to cross the centre of London (and other major cities) has not changed since the turn of the 20th century at around 5 mph - would it not be prudent to kill a lot of birds with one stone ???

Bring back horse and cart deliveries, like the old brewery dray horses. Better for the environment and plenty to put on the rhubarb  :essen

Have all deliveries of goods unloaded at what once used to be "Railway Stations" and hence by cart to the final address.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »

Bring back horse and cart deliveries, like the old brewery dray horses. Better for the environment and plenty to put on the rhubarb  :essen

Have all deliveries of goods unloaded at what once used to be "Railway Stations" and hence by cart to the final address.
Sorry can't do that Alan - horse's fart so therefore emit a gas which is not environmentally friendly the same as cows  :agh :stars :-X :-X :-X

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »

Euro 6 legislation will immediately come into force for trucks in January. Newly introduced passenger cars will have to meet the legislation before September 2014 and in January 2015 all newly delivered cars will have to meet Euro 6. For more info, please refer Euro 6 Article. Euro 5 was introduced in the EU in 2009.

COWS NOW HAVE TO HAVE AD BLUE TANKS FITTED!

On a more serious note emission and grot and waste need to be looked at but folks are identifying easy or incorrect targets and rushing with inappropriate or more damaging solutions.

For instance yesterday inhalers were targeted for change, the folk who rely on these did not design them, they need the meds and will place that above how it is served up.

Same with motoring, jo public wants to get about but did not design or manufacture the vehicle or the fuel.

Authorities and agencies are box ticking so they can win a plastic award!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 02:07:06 PM »

... the "authorities" just new jerk to today's new "report" and then tomorrow's new "report"  :thud

There's no joined up thinking or future planing.

99.99% of the population are not interested in motoring.
They just want to get from A to B the cheapest, most convenient, quickest way. It doesn't have to be by car...

Still think horse and cart is the way forward for urban deliveries  :first

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »

Sheep, sheep, sheep, all reacting to propaganda and scaremongering.   I won't be here, but in 50 years, when everyone  is not travelling at all, not even farting, who then gets the blame for natural world events.
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »

Still think horse and cart is the way forward for urban deliveries 

Hi,

I love horses. Unfortunately, my picture of Bess in my garden with her foal, "Ginny" (short for Regina, but you have to be carefull how you say that) is buried in Photobucket where I don't know how to post it from.

Ginny went on to compete round the lanes of South Wales, pulling a cart, and pulled her new owner's wedding carriage to Swansea registry Office, did some "cart" comptitions,  before dropping a couple of foals, and being retired to "Schoolmaster" duties... The owner also went into the horse drawn funerals , so maybe her offspring are carrying on the haulage business.

Horsedrawn is the future? I don't think so.

A single donkey (two of mine were donated to the Sanctuary.) can pull an 80 ton canal barge, with a child in charge. They are lovely animals, don't eat much, and live for ever (hence "Donkey's Years".

But if you want "work", go for a mule. They don't eat much, and are not allowed to compete (in sport) against horses ... they win too often. However, they have a mind of their own (stubborn), can kick backwards like a horse, forwards like a man, and sideways like a cow. They are also infertile, so you can't breed from them. I don't think they are particularly friendly (glad to be corrected). If you want to carry a load (pack) get A Fell pony, which will carry 2cwt all day long.

Shetland ponies? My first equine. We borrowed a mate's Mk.2 Cortina estate.  The trekking centre owner (Stan in Jersey Marine) told Barbara to get in the driver's seat, and me in the back. He handed me the leading rope, and said "This should be interesting, he's never done this before". Him and his henchman picked Horrible Hector up, and threw him in the back with me. Did I mention that Hector was "entire" (ask your vet). If you want to see Barbara's hair stand up, just mention Hector in the estate. She'd never been close to a horse before... let alone a stallion stamping his hooves on the metal floor, and screaming in her ear ... and I mean at point blank range. I don't think she knew what she was letting herself in for when she married me. I'm proud of the girl.

April 1965, Barbara sitting in the Swansea to Paddington train....

Little old lady commented "I'm surprised your mother lets you travel alone!"

Barbara replied, "I'm flying out to Malaya tomorrow, to join my husband".

As "conversation stoppers" go, that must be high on the list.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.