S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FREELANDER ... tail gate window stays open.  (Read 1083 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
FREELANDER ... tail gate window stays open.
« on: September 14, 2022, 06:13:05 PM »

Hi,

What it says on the label ... my tailgate window stays open, instead of closing when tailgate is closed.panel

The problem started when the registration plate cover made a break for freedom. It didn't fall off, but seems to be retained, vagually, by just one invisible screw. Any ideas?

I assume the upholstered panel inside the tailgate needs to be removed to access that retaining screw? Is removing that panel a job for a screwdriver in jemmy mode, or is there a trade secret?

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
Re: FREELANDER ... tail gate window stays open.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »

Best option I would say is join a Freelander forum such as on Landyzone ?
I'm guessing something has been misplaced when the reg' plate moved. I believe these had a micro switch in the tailgate handle which dropped the window slightly for it to clear the seal and open. The same in reverse, when closed. It recognised door secure so window would fully close.
The door panel is held by firtree clips around the edges and I think a screw in the interior handle recess.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 08:49:49 PM »

I have just had a look in the Freelander manual, in addition to above it says there are also two screws on the grab handle.
But, in a different section it lists four screws under the door pocket  ???

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 08:56:20 PM »

Back in the day when I used to work and my Angie was still with me we had several Freelanders and a few of them suffered from a similar affliction. We’d park the car up in Headington and both trot off to work in London and many times we’d get back to find the rear window had opened on its own, it wasn’t much of a problem because we never kept anything in there and it was parked out of the way. The only time we ever complained about it was when it snowed. The main dealer sorted it out quickly enough.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 07:07:34 PM »

Hi All,

Worrying to leave Wilkie in the car, and come back to an open window.

Frankly, I don't have the enthusiasm to muck about with fiddly stuff on mundane motors. She has to go in for an MOT, so I'll let the proprietor deal with it.

I have "factored in" that I cannot get this car under cover, and it's likely to start raining. I've instructed Barbara to order me a medium size tarp, and some ratchet straps to keep the interior dry in the meantime. I can use the Hyundai till whenever.

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 08:41:28 PM »

John, I assume you’ve tried putting the window back up using the switch in the front of the car.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2022, 10:44:13 AM »

I got it on mine (sold quickly soon after)
Followed this  procedure and it was fine (until the next gremlin)
https://www.facebook.com/legacy/notes/764247040344857/
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 05:56:43 AM »

Hi Both,

Thanks for replies.

I assume you’ve tried putting the window back up using the switch in the front of the car.

Er ... what switch is that, then?  Do you mean the window lifting switch mounted on the driver's door? I never thought of that, didn't even know that there was such a switch.  :stars    I'll give a go after brekky.

Followed this  procedure and it was fine (until the next gremlin)

I'll try the switch fix first, then come back to next suggestion.

Come back tomorrow for the next thrilling instalment.  The car is currently parked with just its tail-end stuck into the garage man-cave door, with a tarp hung over it's private little places.

Big shock over this years combined insurance premiums ... over £900 (it doesn't seem long ago that I was paying about £50 for my Group 7 monsters ... red line at 6500RPM, pulling 30mpm per 1000RPM in 30% overdrive. The problem seems to have been generated by Barbara surrendering her driving licence, (she has been confined to bed for several months now) but not wanting to get rid of her Hyundai ix20 (1600cc engine, very brisk), so declaring that she was still the keeper, with me as the only named driver. I suppose I'll have to sort that out next. Does it sound like an insurance scam?  Mmmm! Maybe ... but it isn't.

My plan is to get an MOT onto the Freelander, then sell it (or swap for an S2 project) and trade the Hyundai in for a brand new Mundane-Mobile. The Hyundai is 3 years 10 months old, and has not yet hit the 10,000 mile barrier.

Just another day at the office.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 10:59:07 AM »

Unfortunately the price you have been quoted is not unusual.
As my Dad has found, regardless of driving history, no non fault accidents, one not at fault in 30 years. Army Driver, HGV, PSV in civvy St.
All means nothing to the algorithms I'm afraid. Also changing car can be deemed a 'risk' so before you buy check the insurance group first.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2022, 02:16:06 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for all advice, much of which was meaningless to me, and/or, did not seem to match the handbook. Probably par for my personal course.

A least I've now got the rear window up ... the problem now is remembering how .....

... vague memory of putting the key in the tail gate lock, and turning it ... the glass slowly went up, and stayed there. That's enough to get me to an MOT. I'll let the garage proprietor sort it out, while I try to negotiate a swap with one of the dead  Series lying in his yard.

Then I'll tell Barbara that I'm putting a tow bar on her Hyundai, and then will go hunting for a little trailer, followed by writting to our insurers, explaining the the logic of our obscure insurance requirements. If necessary, I will pull that particular plug, and to hell with the cost.

Do all taxis usually carry a credit card reader?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2022, 02:22:30 PM »

PS,

I just did a Google for a Freelander tailgate handle. It encouraged me to try and fix it myself.

Three figure price tag .... and the first figure wasn't a "1". Ouch!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2022, 06:05:04 PM »

Hi,

Well, the back window is UP .... which I think I managed by inserting key in the tailgate keyhole, and turning. But .... turning the key now drops the glass the required smidgen, but no further. The mechanism is not, I think, doing the business, so the tailgate won't swing. No matter, I can get it to the MOT place in Whaddon..... deal with one problem at a time.

A quick look over suggests that she will need new wiper blades, but everything else that I can see single handed seems OK.

Watch this space.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »

Hi 602
I believe the key turn is only designed to drop window by the amount needed to clear the roof and open.
So your problem nay lay with the actual window switch on the door ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 06:29:32 AM »

So your problem nay lay with the actual window switch on the door ?

Hi Shed,

You are probably right ... the cover (over the glass) and the glass, is somewhat "dangly", with no obvious means of removing just the cover/glass.

Lets get it MOTd (either way, so I know where I stand), and take it from there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.