S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery terminal clamps  (Read 1528 times)

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
Re: Battery terminal clamps
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 09:21:34 PM »

Arrrgh!  :-\

Tinning stranded wire before fitting it to a screwed clamp is a no-no for several reasons, not just the stress one mentioned. Best way for a screwed connection is to crimp a ferrule on first, then screw it up, next best is plain wire. If you're worried about corrosion, smear it with Vaseline or silicone grease.

Agreed. If you're not to end-feed the now clamped-copper with solder, there'd be little point tinning.

Do it anyway you like, copper is soft. In an automotive environment with vibration and air to it, grease will slow the process, then it will move. Eventually the joint will go HR. Put a meter across any joint done in that fashion, and you'll see it.
"He looks too cheap to me to be of good quality."

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 06:02:02 AM »

Hi,

At the RAF driving school, near Blackpool, the trainee drivers were required to do a daily inspection, which included checking the battery levels ... which somehow always required topping up.

Distilled water got splashed everywhere, which resulted in the battery terminals growing a blue "fungus".

One morning, I noticed smoke pouring out of the driver's window on an Austin Loadster (sp?) three-ton truck, with the trainee driver still sitting at the wheel. With "true aplomb and joi de vivre" I leapt into the passenger door, leaned over, opened the driver's door, shoved the driver out, closely followed by his seat, and ripped the battery lead off the battery, before continuing to my Crew Room, and a waiting mug of tea. I left the Sergeant Instructor, who hadn't yet arrived, to sort out the paperwork. I doubt that the trainee could have told him who was responsible.

I like to have a battery isolating switch on my Land Rovers, preferably the type that break the circuit by pulling a lanyard to eject the red lever. I believe the RAC Blue Book requires such a switch on competition cars, with a big yellow arrow pointing at the switch's location. Can anybody expand on that?

PS, Which reminds me, seeing as it's getting near Xmas .... I got into a "mistletoe clinch", at RAF Weeton, with the strapping WRAF Scammel Explorer driver ... an experience to be remembered, with a smile.  :cheers

More recently (last week), feeling low, I asked the leader of Barabara's Care Team, for a hug. I felt much better afterwards. I mentioned it to Barbara ....

"Good!" was her only comment.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 07:09:52 AM »

The growth on the terminals is not caused by distilled water.  batteries of that age were not sealed but had vents and they "gassed" to the air when being charged.  That gas contained sulphuric acid whic condensed on to the top of the battery and the surrounding area.  Filling up and splashing made the acid particles damp or wet which turned it back to liquid sulphuric acid which ate everything around.  A thorough washing down of the area dilutes the acid to make it harmless

The more knackered the battery or the harder the charge the more they gas.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2022, 08:51:37 AM »

PS, Which reminds me, seeing as it's getting near Xmas .... I got into a "mistletoe clinch", at RAF Weeton, with the strapping WRAF Scammel Explorer driver ... an experience to be remembered, with a smile.  :cheers

Assuming the clinch was with a young lady, she must definitely have been strapping to handle a Scammel Explorer. The last time I drove one, it took two of us to drive it. Some lady you found there... Or am I not allowed to comment on such things these days?
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »

I am clearly strange.

I just shove the end of the wire into the battery clamp, tighten the two screws - and get on with my life.

I am prepared to change my appalling attitude - but only when a healthy battery fails to start my Land Rover.  :cheers
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 11:11:39 AM »

I am clearly strange.

I just shove the end of the wire into the battery clamp, tighten the two screws - and get on with my life.

I am prepared to change my appalling attitude - but only when a healthy battery fails to start my Land Rover.  :cheers

I'm appalled.

This brings me to ask, does rear-view mirror grease still come in pint tubs, or do they make you buy the whole gallon?

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 11:40:13 AM »

I'm appalled.

This brings me to ask, does rear-view mirror grease still come in pint tubs, or do they make you buy the whole gallon?

You can buy it in little tubes these days.
Just bought some the other day.
It's terrific stuff!
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2022, 05:45:13 AM »

Hi,

From choice, I will used a (new or old) battery cable with a 3/8" dia ring terminal on each end, and use one end to go under the nut of a bare clamp (new).

No soldering, no crimping on my part, and sometimes "politic" to disconnect by undoing the nut and leaving the clamp on it's terminal.

I seldom throw a battery cable away, unless it is one of those sacrificial types that were intended to be held on by a self-tapping screw. I'm glad to say that I haven't seen one of those in donkeys years ... I usually finished up with a stripped hole in the battery post.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2022, 09:10:29 AM »

I seldom throw a battery cable away, unless it is one of those sacrificial types that were intended to be held on by a self-tapping screw. I'm glad to say that I haven't seen one of those in donkeys years ... I usually finished up with a stripped hole in the battery post.

I still have that sort on my S1, and it has worked Ok for the last 35 years , but you have to treat it with a lot of respect and not use the screw to draw the connector onto the post  . I just like the idea of keeping it original. To be frank I have more trouble with the ones on modern vehicles, especially if it has been in at the local Dealer. 

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2022, 06:07:24 PM »

I still have that sort on my S1, and it has worked Ok for the last 35 years , but you have to treat it with a lot of respect and not use the screw to draw the connector onto the post  . I just like the idea of keeping it original. To be frank I have more trouble with the ones on modern vehicles, especially if it has been in at the local Dealer. 

Agreed, Derek.
This one on my IIA has never given me any trouble - and seems to resist furring-up better.

glester

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7177
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2022, 08:10:21 AM »

Hi all,
I installed OJOP quick release terminals.
See: https://www.ojopsweden.com/battery-connectors/

This is not true to the original  :o but it is very reliable and convenient.
KR.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2022, 08:32:49 AM »

We have those on the leisure battery fitted to our camper

Peter

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2022, 10:18:05 AM »

I use those quick release clamps on my leisure batteries, but not sure I'd trust them on the starter battery - they seem a little flimsy compared to 'standard' clamps, especially the wire clamp - or it is possible I've bought cheap ebay ones and the ones in the link are better quality   ???

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Serious Series

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6655
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2022, 12:42:47 PM »

The quick release clamps posted earlier do not give a current carrying capacity for any of the items would have thought that detail would have been listed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 17 queries.