S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: TOWING WITH A ELECTRIC VEHICLE.  (Read 1584 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
TOWING WITH A ELECTRIC VEHICLE.
« on: October 02, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »

Hi,

Did I read on this forum, some days ago, that you cannot tow with an electric vehicle. I agree that to do so would be illegal, unless the makers list a trailer on their VIN Plate.

Hyundai are claiming their IONIC (sp?) can tow 1500kg. Hmmm! I'd expect my local dealer, who sold her her Hyundai, to offer a decent trade-in ... but I bet the balance would hurt. I'll put that one on the back boiler.

PS Just remembered ... being disabled she should be able to buy a new car VAT free. Probably still too expensive.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
Re: TOWING WITH A ELECTRIC VEHICLE.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 11:57:32 AM »

Most EV's can tow but weight and of course range is restricted.
Don't expect any dealer to offer a 'decent' trade in. It is all relevant I guess.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 02:29:30 PM »

Hi Shed,

It would be going back to the main dealer we bought it from a smidgen over three years ago, FSH, covered not quite 10,000 miles. ONE retired,  non-smoking, disabled, lady, Civil Servant.

dartymoor

• Chassis welder
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 05:15:19 AM »

Most EV's can tow but weight and of course range is restricted.

Unless, of course, what you're towing is an extra battery pack.

(Or generator!)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 05:36:45 AM »

Hi,

Going back (I think) to the 1960s, somebody built a battery powered car.

The batteries were kept charged by a 125cc, on-board, petrol powered generator, set run continuously, at "best condition".

The driving motor took what power it needed, when it needed, from the battery.

It returned 125mpg.

Somebody (not me) suggested that financial economy could be improved by running the generator on LPG.

At Tech College, we did a test on a Ford 10 side-valve engine mounted on a "brake" set for maximum torque. It drank a gallon of petrol in 20 minutes.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 09:20:47 AM »

Unless, of course, what you're towing is an extra battery pack.

(Or generator!)
Back in the early Eighties I lived in Runcorn, which has a serious of 'Busways'. They had an electric Leyland national which towed a battery pack behind.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 06:20:17 AM »

Hi Shed,

I assume you are not old enough to remember WW2, when cars could be seen driving around with gas-bags on their roofs?

I guess that could be though provoking, if there was an ME109 circling overhead, magazines loaded with the occasional (1 in 5?) "tracer" bullets.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 12:33:54 PM »

Hi Shed,

I assume you are not old enough to remember WW2, when cars could be seen driving around with gas-bags on their roofs?

I guess that could be though provoking, if there was an ME109 circling overhead, magazines loaded with the occasional (1 in 5?) "tracer" bullets.

Hi 602
I am the same age as a certain 1964 IIA I am acquainted with  😁
I have seen pictures of the cars you describe. We do have some local Arriva busses which have a Hydrogen tank on the roof, apparently quite successful.
I was recently sent a clip from Blue Peter in the Seventies featuring a Coal powered car. Very innovative but not classed as environmentally friendly !
Slightly off topic but I have been thinking of ways to keep my Dad driving with the ever increasing cost of Insurance.
I may suggest to him a small Classic with a suitable Policy. Prices often fixed so that may be the way forward.  ???

scotty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6581
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 03:43:44 PM »

Hi 602  :tiphat slightly off topic, however you have mentioned trading the good ladies car ,if you are looking to trade in the good ladies Hyundai can I suggest you try Cazoo, my good lady sold her Toyota Aygo back in May and got £300 hundred pounds less than she paid for it brand new in 2019, they arrived the guy did a walk around and the money was in our bank within 15 minutes of him arriving, no quibbling at all, we then went to a main dealer and ordered our new car and had over £1000 knocked off the price as we had no trade in. Anyway just an idea  :cheers Paul

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2022, 03:58:06 PM »

:ditto

Cazoo are good to deal with  :first
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 09:32:27 PM »

Hi Both,

Thanks for the suggestion ... many yonks ago, probably the 1980s, there was a magazine article about somebody who converted a Triumph Herald to run on batteries. He used to commute to and from work. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the magazine, although about that time I was reading HOT CAR, and another similarly orientated. magazine ..... jelly mould Ford Populars with V8 engines and "illuminated" Jaguar IRS axles .... bum hiked up in the air so everybody could admire the rotating chrome plated half-shafts. The alternative was the JAGO T-bucket. Works of art!

My passion for driving S1 Land Rovers across the Arabian desert had to go on HOLD.

Arabian Desert? Who at UK HQ thought it would be a good idea to send us a 6x6 DOUGLAS SENTINEL (can anybody post a picture). Despite having drive to all six wheels, these trucks were intended to tow V-bombers (Victor, Vulcan, and Valiant) across smooth concrete. Somewhere ... don't know where ... I have a photo of ours, deeply sunk in the sands of the desert.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2022, 06:11:01 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks for the thoughts, and I'm still thinking.

The Hyundai iX20, a lethal little toy ... we didn't know what it was when we bought it 3 years and only 10,000 miles ago. It doesn't matter how much power you have, by the end of the week it's not enough. This was Barbara's car.

Barbara's right arm was mangled when she was born, 1942, so during WW2. Nobody noticed until it was too late to un-mangle it. She cannot straighten her arm beyond 90*, her right shoulder virtually doesn't exist, she cannot lift her upper arm above horizontal, and she has virtually no grip in her right hand. She once accompanied me on my Sunday afternoon 3-hour pony trek over the sand dunes of Swansea Bay.

Despite that, I taught her to drive, in a Sunbeam Talbot 90, in Malaya. She passed UK driving test in South East London, in a £50 Mini that she drove for the first time the previous day. She drove my ex-Robin Rew Reliant Scimitar GTE racing barge ... pulled 30mph per 1000RPM, and red-lined at 6500rpm. (I never tried). She Historic Road Rallied her TVR Vixen, and was twice pulled at 115mph in her Honda CRX on the M4 ... told not to do it again. She once accompanied me on my Sunday afternoon 3-hour pony trek over the sand dunes of Swansea Bay.

At DVLC, she was given 20 minutes notice that she would be CHAIR at a meeting with Tom King (Sec of State for Transport). She passed a promotion board to SEO, but the DVLC Chief Executive wanted her to represent her on a Deputy Prime Ministers Task Force ... all Delegates to have equal status, and retain their existing grade and payscale. Most of the delegates were Police Chief Superintendents

Married for 57 years, and I still wake up screaming.

Barbara now has osteo-arthritis in both knees. She managed to remain mobile until her last fall, which was followed by a couple of weeks in hospital, then returned home by ambulance, and tucked into a hospital bed, which she has not left for several months. Barbara is a "tough cookie", but this is destroying her ... and nobody seems to care.

She voluntarily surrendered her driving licence.

I learned yesterday that my Freelander has failed it's MOT, to the tune of a guestimated £1500. I'm currently pondering on my next step. The  car is still at the Testers. The car with a new MOT is worth probably a smidgen more than the cost of fixing it. I'll wait until I can check the failures on-line, before deciding my next move. I offered a straight swap with one of S2/S3 Cadevers that are sitting in his yard, but he wasn't interested. I suspect that weighing it in might be my best option.

I think I have executive matrimonial authority to do one more project ... a fully galvanised S2 or S3, or preferably an S1 (sorry) with a 40hp battery powered canal boat motor. And damn the expense!

Provided I have mechanical handling (crane and winch) available (maybe a couple of winches), and somebody willing to relieve me of the heavy mechanical stuff, like engine and gearbox, radiator, etc,

Some forty years ago, somebody converted a Triumph Herald to battery power. I'm trying to trace the magazine article. I think the write up was in a UK published Hot Rod, or Custom Car, magazine, or something similar. I think it must have run on four big 12volt car batteries, under the bonnet, and wired in series. It was adequate for the builders daily commute.

How many of our readers have investigated the cost of nailing a car charging point on their front wall? Or how much power can be generated from solar panels?

Doh! 06.10hrs ... and my Shower Maiden has just arrived. No sense of timing.

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »

Custom Car, Hot Car and Car & Car Conversions were my favourite magazines.

I dont know anything about electric vehicle conversions, but 12 volt "car batteries" would prove to be a very poor choice against modern battery technology

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 01:05:41 PM »

Hi,

I agree that "starter" batteries are not a good choice for vehicle propulsion, but I would hate to have to factor in the cost of "deep discharge" batteries. Does anybody have a ball-park figure for the later?

I do not anticipate deep-discharge, as most of my journeys will be less than 5 miles. If ever I want to visit the Swansea Valley again, I'd look into renting by the day.

Thought for the day ... if nicking catalyctic converters is worth the effort, where will battery packs fit into the scale of things? Worth hi-jacking moving vehicles?

I read something recently about battery packs being dis-proportionatly expensive to squeeze the last few ampere hours into, so don't aim for maximum charge.

Google the cost of chargers to nail onto the front of your house.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 01:29:35 PM »

The Odyssey battery on my Series 3 is a starter/deep cycle battery of 850 CCA and 68ah. Current cost at Tayna about £330.00.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.