S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 602's virtual project. S2 4X2 front axle. What do they look like?  (Read 873 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:

Hi,

What it says on the label.

I have always imagined that a Series 4X2 axle was just a tube with a flange at each end ... there seems little point for anything else.

But recently, something made me doubt that idea, and I now wonder if a 4X2 axle is just an empty 4x4 axle. ???  But if so, what to they do with the big hole, where the differential normally lives?

Do they leave it open? Did they fit a bolt-on blanking plate? Or did they weld on an extra domed CW&P cover (one cover at the front of the axle. the other behind).

Er ... did the empty axle case still need to be topped up with oil?

Virtual project? That's due to my "lack of moral fibre" in not yet discussing this with Barbara.

Does anybody has any ideas about converting the front passenger space to WAV capability. Side loading forks/platform? Gantry in the roof space? Pull out ramps (incline must not be more than 1 in 5 preferably less.  My "first draft" , on inside of my forehead, will drop the chassis by about 5 inches.

As yet, I am uncertain about whether I can dispose of the entire "driver/front passenger" seat-box.

Tom

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3375
  • .:

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: 602's virtual project. S2 4X2 front axle. What do they look like?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 09:33:17 AM »

.... entering radically modified vehicle and IVA territory.

You could make it, but not get it registered for the road  :shakeinghead

:RHD
Who's a then ?

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 01:47:12 PM »

https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php/topic,11574.msg125318.html#msg125318
This is what is on each end of the strait axle tube, Car, CL Utility, Light, Rover Mk 6 , 4x2  . Note the paddle on short drive shaft to lubricate the upper swivel pin with oil .

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 06:09:43 AM »

Hi,

I had always assumed (for no reason) that Series 4x2 front axles were just a simple tube with a flange at each end, for the swivel assemblies.

I'm now starting to suspect that Rovers used a standard - but empty - axle case.  ??? Assuming my later thought to be correct, can any body tell me ....

How did LR fill the big hole intended for the differential? Did they leave the hole open? Or did they have a bolt on blanking plate? Or did they have a "pudding bowl" welded on both sides?

Does the axle case contain the same hypoid oil as the 4x4 version, which seems to be essential to lubricate the hub bearings?

I assume that the front half shafts would be completely redundant, which means the hubs could be blanked-off from the rest of the axle, which raises more questions about lubricating the hubs.

PS. How should one store the now redundant front differential? Bucket of oil with a lid?

PPS. The MOT place is collecting my Freelander sometime today. I anticipate she will need new wiper blades. Fingers crossed

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 09:46:27 AM »

Google image search found this image of a series II 88" chassis with a 4x2 axle. It is a simple tube.

Craig.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 10:58:48 AM »

All that I have seen over the years have been a simple tube.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 05:12:18 PM »

Hi Craggie and Autorover1,

Thanks for reply and information.

Yep, a simple tube is what I would have expected to find, but Craggie's picture is the first that I have seen.

Sudden thoughts of getting a couple of flanges turned up, and weld them to a length of pipe .... but it won't be that easy ... the six holes at each end, have to  all line up, and have the correct orientation with the spring plates/mountings/castor angle. Actually, the discs are easy, just cut of the ends of a Series axle (front or rear) and bore to fit the previously acquired tube

Jago Autos, many years ago, offered a tubular beam axle, I suspect to match their after-market tubular axle with their Sedan/Coupe chassis, and presumably the swiveling hubs assemblies from a beam-axled Transit van.

Onwards and upwards! If push comes to shove, I could live with a "banjo " axle until the genuine article turns up.

Ex-WD (Navy) auctions?

PS ... could the spring mounting plates be cut from an old axle case? I would assume the detail draughtsman would have specified a sensible radius?

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 05:45:37 PM »

If you were to fabricate an axle from scratch it would be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to disc brakes  ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 04:36:34 PM »

If you were to fabricate an axle from scratch it would be an ideal opportunity to upgrade to disc brakes 

Hi Rustandoil,

It's a thought .... but wouldn't that mean uprating to servo too.

JAGO used to make a tubular beam axle, to take Transit hubs and Swivels, for fitting under their "sedan" body chassis kits. But are JAGO still trading? Or are their any similar broad minded auto-engineers? Remind me to buy a KIT CAR magazine.

The Reliant Scimitar GTE (1250kg ULW) used the same brakes as an XJ6, but servo assisted. I managed to acquire the full front suspension and front brakes from the Motor Show GTE. and fitted them to Barbara's Reliant Sabre 6GT (about 800kg ULW, originally fitted with TR2 front suspension and disc brakes.) "Mighty hand" stopping power without a servo. Sabre? Visualise a plastic bodied Ford 8hp "special", with a 2.6 litre Ford Zodiac straight six engine. She drove that car for nine years.  The Sabre was replaced by the Scimitar Coupe ... same chassis and engine, but fitted with a GRP body intended to replace the original body on the Daimler Dart ... until Jaguars took over Daimler, and saw no point in building a competitor to the soon to be announced E-type, so it became the body for the Scimitar GT, which eventually became the Scimitar GTE.

From time to time, I ponder on the Sabre, Scimitar, and presumably the Daimler Dart having 90" wheelbases ... only 2" longer than SWB Series 2 and 3. I quickly resume taking the tablets.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.