S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF TOPIC ... SWMBO's new knees.  (Read 4690 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
OFF TOPIC ... SWMBO's new knees.
« on: August 14, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »

Hi,

Maybe a month before Barbara goes Titanium. Long chat with Physio-therapist yesterday, who recommended (demanded?) physio-therapy both before and after the operation. It's pathetic to watch Barbara struggle on two sticks ... from sitting start in armchair to sitting on the porcelain throne takes six minutes ... for six metres, in a bungalow. But she can still drive OK, once in the car.

DVLA will demand she drives an automatic only, for an unspecified period until after her second operation. I believe her left leg will be done first, but I don't know if that is relevent.

Thinks! Running costs are immaterial. Her new Hyundai IX20, has not yet reached 3,000 miles in six months. My Jimny is due for it's second refill since I bought it (can't remember when). The PO put £10 in to get me home (Gloucester to Milton Keynes). OK, there was probably already some gas in the tank, but still ....

It's the fixed overheads that are going to hurt.  VED and Insurance.

I'd been thinking to replace her Hyundai with something new ... say £200 per month, but current finance payments will stop when the IX20 departs. Hey, can it be that easy? Probably not.

Now I'm wondering if I should splash out on an old Disco automatic, and let her keep the IX20 ... but would she let me keep the Jimny, if I promise to get rid of the Disco (or what ever) when she no longer needs an auto? And later change my mind ... we need a personnel carrier to carry our daughter and her two huge offspring.

She says we have finished paying for the three Adjustamatic armchairs and double bed, @ £600 per month? ... and now (I say) its my turn.

£600 per month?  :agh  How did she get that past me? ???   :-X Whatever, it didn't hurt.

Comments and advice please.

PS, if you are in the market for a NEW car, Google "How does Car Wow work?"  5% off can't be bad.

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6626
  • .:
Re: OFF TOPIC ... SWMBO's new knees.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 05:05:41 PM »

Step one - Listen to the terrorist. Just recovering myself from knee issues (well more like managing a level of pain to be honest) and the PT gave me some useful exercises that really have helped. He did ask about my pain management and I said large amounts of red wine, doesn't stop it hurting, its just after a bottle I don't care. He said that was a sensible approach (he's an ex bootie).

Bottom Box

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 05:10:24 PM »

Has Barbara considered applying for the Blue Badge scheme in respect of hand and two knees, and Personal Independence Allowance? I receive Mobility Allowance of about £60 week, and VED is now free. £250 better in my pocket than theirs!

As an aside, stop frittering money away, you'll have nothing left for your old age.  ;)

Chris

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 05:17:51 PM »

I tried for a blue badge whilst SWMBO was waiting for a hip, just couldn’t walk, and on morphine. Doctor said..nothing to do with me.   Council gave us a .....27....... page form, which wanted every appointment date and time, name of every Doctor seen, and when, and why. Then personal details, very very intrusive. Gave up at that point. But good luck if you try.    When you see the amount of people who abuse it, you have to wonder how they got it in the first place.
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 05:19:26 PM »

Have you checked you and Barbra are receiving all the money ie mobility car you are entitled to ?

A friend's wife has a motility car and blue badge due to medical condition making walking any distance a trial.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:35 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. And Bottom Box ... where have I heard that name before?  :cheers Good to see you here again, Chris!

Barbara already has a blue badge, on the strength of her arthritis. I've been looking into Attendance Allowance (£2,000pa) but the need to fit everything into little spaces on the application form deters me. There is an on-line (interactive?) application, but it requires the PC to have a recent version of ... doh! Forgot the name of the program. Today, my PC told me it had been (or could be) loaded with the latest version, with no mention of money. I will investigate.

Our thanks for everybody's interest.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 03:11:00 AM »

Hi,

Reference that interactive program mentioned a few minutes ago .... I think it may be ACROBAT READER.

If you need help around the house, etc. due to ill health or poor mobility, Google ATTENDANCE ALLOWANCE. If you knew the difficulty I had in persuading Barbara that she should apply ... she was brought up with all the wrong attitudes.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 06:24:05 AM »

Contact Age UK or someone similar, they will help you fill in the online form.  You may have to go to their office or they may come to you to help.

Acrobat Reader is not an interactive program and it is free.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 07:17:48 AM »

Hi Peter.

ADOBE reader.

I'm still not fit to be let loose on the world.

;-)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 07:34:08 AM »

Hi All,

Here follows my first attempt (in the best part of a good while) at posting a picture from my Photobucket files.

Fingers crossed.

javascript:void(0);

Hmmm! That don't look right. Kick Wilkie and back to the drawing board.

That picture might be available, in 602 friendly format, on my other lap-top.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 07:50:19 AM »

Hi,

Nope, photo not available on my other PC.

It IS available on this PC via PHOTOBUCKET, but I've forgotten how to COPY, and then PASTE it here.

??? Pretty please.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 08:25:56 AM »

Hi,

While prowling around around, I found this on Ebay....

auction: #163814801769

Not a lot of interest! Strange? Maybe because it petrol?

3,000 miles at 10mpg is 300 gallons. How much is a gallon of petrol these days? Lets call it £5 for easy mental arithmetic. £1500pa, say£120 per month. OK, so double it! That probably still works out cheaper than the repayments plus petrol on her Hyundai. Then there is the zero VED?

I bet there is a snag, ready to sneak up and bite our bums?

Just before Christmas is the time to buy a car. ???

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »

Could you keep up with the garage repair bills?

Could Barbara get in it?

Peter

armalites

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »

Hi,

While prowling around around, I found this on Ebay....

auction: #163814801769

Not a lot of interest! Strange? Maybe because it petrol?

3,000 miles at 10mpg is 300 gallons. How much is a gallon of petrol these days? Lets call it £5 for easy mental arithmetic. £1500pa, say£120 per month. OK, so double it! That probably still works out cheaper than the repayments plus petrol on her Hyundai. Then there is the zero VED?

I bet there is a snag, ready to sneak up and bite our bums?

Just before Christmas is the time to buy a car. ???

Do not even consider buying a P38 with the mileage you doing, I know it may seem so good logic in that you won't  be as affected buy the fuel cost but they were the first LR where they started all the high tech stuff and I guarantee you will have problems due to lack of use. The battery will go flat in no time then you'll find half the stuff doesn't work. They are a fantastic car to drive but it's not the car for you.

You could buy an Auto D3 for around £3k if you were hell bent on having a LR. Even more electronic than a P38 but pretty durable and will diesels will do 25mpg. The D3 is very similar driving experience to the P38 but again if you get a wrong un it will ruin your life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.