S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-gearbox and handbrake.  (Read 1128 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Auto-gearbox and handbrake.
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »

Hi,

Probably a not-starter, but worth asking.

My planned project will be based on a 4X2.

I would consider going automatic, but that would be in conflict with the transmission hand-brake.

Somewhere in my memory banks (early 1960s?) is something about an after-market transmission brake acting on the propshaft. I doubt that is was for a Landy.  I can't remember if it was bolted to the back of a 4x2 gearbox, or the front of the differential.

Does anyone have any knowledge?

Fitting a 4x2 mundane auto-box would "release" the Landy 4x2 gearbox currently fitted ... assuming I could avoid things  like X-members.

I'm only at the "musing" stage.

V8Nick

• Chassis welder
  • 6-pots good, 8-pots better!
    • Nick's Rusty Rovers Website
Re: Auto-gearbox and handbrake.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »

Won't you need a transfer box on the tail of the gearbox anyway, to drop the output to a position that keeps the rear prop at a 'more normal' angle?
In which case, I'd be looking at the RaRo Classic auto box, though that might be too long.

'#039Kenny'#039
1970 Series IIA, 2.6 6pot One-Ton
 nbsp  nbsp  nbsp
'#039The Gronk'#039
1969 Series IIA, 2ΒΌ 4pot Petrol

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 07:54:22 AM »

Won't you need a transfer box on the tail of the gearbox anyway, to drop the output to a position that keeps the rear prop at a 'more normal' angle?

Hi Nick,

Short answer ... "Yes" ... and the off-set prop, and chassis cross-members will be a PITA.  (A 109" might enable things to be less "contrived")

And "Yes" again, before you ask, the angle of the rear prop might be a bit extreme if I fit a mundane auto box with a long "tail" poking through the big hole in the cross-member.  But I'd rather consider such mods today, that "smack my forehead" after I'm commmited.

Remember, the project vehicle is a 4x2, which still has the transfer box, but no front out-put gubbins.

My desire for an auto-box is to facilitate Barbara driving it after her knee replacements, which now appear to be increasingly unlikely. They won't operate unless she is walking. She WAS walking when first "observed" at the clinic ... middle of last year. Now she can scarcely walk at all, and then with extreme pain, and risk of falling. IF she COULD walk, I think she would forget the operations, and live with the pain. Her gammy right arm prevents her from using most walking aids, nor a hand propelled wheel-chair. She is returning her new invalid buggy as unsuitable for HER needs. The Vendor is being extremely good about it, and Barbara is taking up his offer to demonstrate alternatives. (Barbara used to be the Contracts Manager at DVLA .. just one of her former lives ... with an obscene mandate, and was ready to make a fight of it).

Early 109s had the facility to adapt the rear wheel brakes to foot and hand operation. But I don't want to go there, mainly because I don't know how small a wheel I can fit over the 11" drums. (I presume they could be easily adapted to "fiddle sticks" if you want to play in the mud)r.

Aimbones

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »

It is possible to fit a discovery tdi or v8 with auto box and LT230 into a series landrover, I have one of each flavour.

The transmission brake is retained although rarely needed as Park does an adequate job most of the time.

My 2a previously used a borgwarner 66 box adapted onto a series transfer box which also retained the transmission brake.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »

Hi Aimbones,

Thanks or the above. Some of what you suggest is probably beyond my Barbara's wallet, (State pensions, and only half normal Civil Service pensions. No RAF pension for me, and she kept getting herself pregnant and resigning, and coming to Malaya, and things, not in that order ... and outside my intellectual comfort zone.

Researching a few minutes ago, I found that a Series SWB does 15mph/1000rpm, a LWB does 16.5mph/1000rpm, and a Morris Marina 1.8 does 20mph/1000rpm. To me, that suggests that the Marina engine with LR transmision, and toy tyres will have little difficulty pulling 13mph/1000rpm. That's a guestimate, but if you want me to do the sums .... NOT today!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.