S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Heystee Front Disc Brake conversion kit - Potential group buy  (Read 780 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:

Hi Rob,

There was something in the news recently  ... can't remember if it was on TV or Saturday's Telegraph or Mail ...
about the Euro being devalued. Sorry, I didn't pay much attention.

Two thoughts ...

Would you need a servo as well? Most discs do.

The calipers in those photos look dreadfully over-engineered (but hey, what do I know?)

Whenever I've thought about cobbling a set of discs for a Series (as you do), I've thought about using Reliant Scimitar GTE brakes.

My ex-Robin Rew racing barge (his description) weighed 26cwt, pulled 30mph per 1000rpm, and redlined at 6500rpm. I decided that 130mph was quite fast enough ... the traffic seemed to be coming backwards at me.

Whatever, I understand that the GTEs used Jaguar XJ6 calipers hung on brackets that would fit into my hip pocket. That car never got me into trouble. Robin was happy to race on them (Silverstone, etc), and use the same car, towing a full size car transporter trailer, loaded with his ex-factory Sabre, to the same race meetings.

I fitted the same brakes (from a Motor Show GTE) onto Barbara's Sabre, which didn't have servo, but only weighed 16cwt (Zodiac 2.6 straight six), and she was happy too.  I can't remember what brakes were on her TVR. ???

To my mind, if somebody can cobble brackets to hold XJ calipers onto a Land Rover swivel, and similarly fix a disc onto a Land Rover hub, the world will beat a muddy path to their shed.

PC Robin's factory Sabre went out to Japan. Last I heard, Robin was racing a Morgan tricycle. I wonder if he still lives in Tamworth, just two hoots and a holler from Milton Keynes?

auction: #254681080497

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.