S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance renewal ! Starting to hurt  (Read 1720 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Insurance renewal ! Starting to hurt
« on: April 07, 2021, 10:14:51 PM »

Hi,

Insurance renewal dropped through our letter box.

Hyundai Ix20 £358, two named drivers, both clean licences and full NCD, guestimated @ 5,000 miles per year.

The car has, of this moment, done exactly 5,679 miles, since first registered 31-12-2018 (a bit of skullduggery there). Mileage was a bit higher than I guestimated ... I've probably being using it more than I thought.

Freelander TD4 £379, two named drivers, both clean licences and full NCD, guestimated @ 5,000 miles per year.

The car has, of this moment, done exactly 1,610 miles since I bought it on 7th September last year. That is about 7 months, or a guestimated 2760 miles 345typer year.

OK, it's only a joint increase of £41 per year, and the pain will not last very long, but is it worth arguing with our insurers, 

Suggestions on a postcard .... ???

Er ... our house is also insured with the same company, but the premium does not come to mind. Can I assume that losing the premiums for both cars AND the house, will concentrate their minds. We have been with this company for many years.

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
Re: Insurance renewal ! Starting to hurt
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 10:18:31 PM »

why do you need 2 vehicles?
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:22:44 PM »

is it worth arguing with our insurers, 

Only if you like argueing

Why not try Gocompare and save the hassle  :tiphat

Raybis

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3023
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:53:18 PM »

Only if you like argueing

Why not try Gocompare and save the hassle  :tiphat
There doesn't seem to be any benefit in staying with the same insurer any more. I was with Saga for years but now I just go on compare the market and see which is the cheapest that offers me the type of cover I want and go with them. I have been fortunate and only claimed twice in the last 58 years, and one of those somebody hit my car when it was parked, so I think they have made enough money out of me.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 07:17:31 AM »

Hi,

Probably about 1964, I was stationary in Lincoln, behind another car, waiting for the traffic lights to change.

BANG! ... short pause ... BANG!

I climbed out of my 1959 Minivan, top find the front of the Mini "engaged" with the rear of the car in front, and a Renault Dauphine "buried" in the back of my van.

An RAF Squadron Leader climbed out of the car in front, loudly complainiing that this happened every time he bought a new car. Me? I was wearing my RAF "working blue", with just a single stripe (Juniour Techniciian) on my sleeve. I should not have been wearing "working blue" off camp. Salutes were exchanged, and nothing said about my uniform.

Whatever, we both went to talk to the driver behind, who by this time was hanging on his now open driver's door.  "What happened?" he slurred. We decided he was drunk, and called the police.

Two police officers arrived,, and took our statements, leaving the "perp" till we were on our way.

No problem, I thought, and claimed against the driver of the car that ran int me. Got a reply, by return of post, from his insurers.

"Our client had suffered a heart attack, of which he had no prior warning, and therefore cannot be held legally liable. We will not entertain any claim against him!"

I checked with the police, who confirmed his story, and had told him he must not drive again until his doctor had given permission, and were taking no further action.

The other driver worked for an insurance company. I barged into his office, to complain, but to no avail ... apart from dating his secretary for a few months.

However, my insurers (this was the first car I had ever insured Fully Comp), unknowingly paid for a new Mini car front (chrome grill, and surround, not the grey primer grill of the van) and a full respray in black, with a bronze roof.

I was regularly waved at by police drivers, as at that time only police Mini-vans were painted black.

The saga continues ... I fitted side windows in the back of the van, so had to present it to Customs & Excise for Purchase Tax valuation. I asked the Valuation Officer to be very critical to keep[ the value down. I think her did as I asked, and I only had to pay £26 Purchase Tax.

But that's not the end of the story ...

Some months later, I met Barbara, and on learning that she worked for C&E, I jokingly "bad mouthed" her employers, and by association ... her.

Barbara worked at Kingsbeam House, the C&E Headquarters, at the end of the "then" London Bridge. I believe London Bridge was sold to a Yank, who thought he was buying Tower Bridge, and shipped to America. Google probably has the story.

Barbara called up my file, and didn't like the critical comments that the Valuation Office had made (at my request), so admonished him on some other matter.

Barbara married me in 1965 and came to Malaya, just in time to miss all the promotions that followed Purchase Tax being changed to Value Added Tax. There was some talk of her being a "secret agent" (Penang was a Free Port) but they decided it was no job for a woman.

PS ... I wonder if Google has the story about the  London bus that jumped the gap, as Tower Bridge was opening?

A Google for LONDON BUS JUMPS TOWER BRIDGE  found some results, but this Techno-wimp is unable to get a grip on them.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 08:17:15 AM »

Hi,

While a RAAF Butterworth (mainland) we lived on Penang Island (two years, and Barbara sytill says I never take her anywhere). I sometimes traveled to work by motor cycle.

One day, I jumped the red light, only to find they were already lifting the drawbridge. Oops!

I gave it some "twist", jumped of the end off the drawbridge, probably only a three feet drop, but exacerbated by the last car to have boarded the ferry being a police car. I did manage to stop in time, but it was close.

OT ... one morning, walking off the ferry, I noticed a local man, crouching on the ramp, with a pair of binoculars, examining the corpse floating in the water, about ten feet below him.

Whatever turns you on.  ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:51:08 AM »

Hi,

I "done a Google" for  (only checked one result) but it is anticipated that premiums will fall, due to Lockdown leading to fewer accidents. House insurance premiums are also expected to fall.  Hmmm!

We don't want to change, but an almost 10% hike in premiums is taking the micky.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 09:27:11 AM »

Up until recently I had three vehicles and also looked after my Dads Insurance.
Series 2 on classic policy agreed value £112
Discovery 2 owned until recently for 17 years and insured for last eight by IAM Surety. Always compared on renewal, went back to Surety and agreed on new price, not always cheapest but good service.
Currently insuring a dual control car to teach my kids, only £550 for me and three children aged between 18 and 24.
Best one was my Dad's Mondeo, which I bought new in 2000 and he has owned for last 12 years. He is now 84 and although claim free for 30 years and never had an at fault claim insurance is becoming increasingly difficult.
Last December his renewal went up by over £150, they rang him up to renew and he said I was dealing with it. He gave his permission and they then called me. I spoke to a nice chap, in South Africa would you believe, and we negotiated a discount.
Cover now was £220. An almost £200 reduction !
BTW all above are fully Comp'. Moral is ALWAYS negotiate even if you don't really want to change insurer.
Final Point - London Bus story ? I had heard about this but was sceptical until a mid-lockdown visit to London Transport Museum.
And Yes it is true ! Strange but True.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 09:32:38 AM »

Yes it's true - sadly the driver recently passed away and the story made the news again.
I think he got a small award for his quick reactions.

:routemaster
Who's a then ?

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »

Our other car has been insured with tescos for years but they had gone up to 220 this year the meer cat website managed to get it down to 150 happy days

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 11:07:44 AM »

John, apologies if I'm being too personal - but do you really need both cars ?  Even if and when Barbara is able to get out and about  ?

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 11:18:28 AM »

We don't want to change, but an almost 10% hike in premiums is taking the micky.

Personally I'd take the modest hit given the trying times of your personal life, do you really need the hassle chasing this ?

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 05:46:56 PM »

Even if you only spend 20 minutes doing one comparison site search it could save £££
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.