S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Take care what you talk about.  (Read 3843 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Take care what you talk about.
« on: March 10, 2021, 09:21:59 AM »

Hi,

First my sympathies to the lady concerned. I've been there .. not a nice place.

Be warned, if you indicate that you are considering suicide (or so I have read recently, can't remember where), and DVLC get to hear of it, they can pull your licence.  A sort of Catch 22 situation.

Me? I went into work one morning, took the register, said goodbye to my staff, told my boss I was going home, and would be applying for medical retirement. I also had fallen foul of the "Poison Dwarf", and his "Hatchet Lady", who worked as a team to get rid of faces that didn't fit.

I arrived home, made a cup of coffee, sat down. Next thing I knew, I was still sitting, cup halfway to my mouth ... coffee stone cold.

From what I've read on this forum, I'm not alone.

The DVLC Medical Officer referred me to a "shrink". Lovely man, who told me to "Get out of that job!"
. The bloke in Social Services threw a wobbly when he saw the signature on my "sick note". He demanded that I go home, and stay there, until Dr Annear said I was better. I've since done a Google for Dr Annear, but it seems to be a family business.

Whatever, I you feel like I did, ask to see the Head Honcho.

602 (A kept-man since 1985. I obviously married a good one)

PS. In my resignation letter, I went into detail of how I was being "managed". (The straw/camel event was when I was  formally reprimanded (without being warned), followed up in writing, for allowing my staff to add annual leave to their Easter break.

I heard later, that "The Hatchet Lady" was very upset", and later took a Medical Retirement too.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Take care what you talk about.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 11:01:26 AM »

The statistics say that roughly 1 in 4 of us will have mental health issues at some point in their lives, I have been there. An important message is to talk about it if you have issues, don't bottle it up. Particularly important under current circumstances where many people are even more isolated than usual...

G.   
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

s210912j

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 01:33:16 PM »

The over-riding reaction, having seen the TV interview was this...

If you suffer from poor MH, issues, worries, stresses, however you want to label it, and if you read/see a negative response to MM's words penned by friends or family... All that will happen is you will never trust that person sufficient to ask them to help you, when you need it. 

So yes, absolutely be careful what you talk about, both from airing concerns or reacting to a narrative you disagree with.

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 01:59:56 PM »

...............  " I'm Piers " ..................

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »

Yes ... ^^^^ doesn't help.

:-\
Remember that the same applies here on the forum.
Post nicely, if you spot something obviously wrong, say so (with supporting evidence) without scoring points of each other, we are trying to inform and answer questions posted.

By and large people on this forum are well behaved towards each other, but we've had a year now of lockdowns and cabin fever has started to set in.

The MacMoos are coming ....  :macmoo :macmoo :macmoo

:cheers
Who's a then ?

s210912j

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 03:48:51 PM »

I find the S2c forum incredibly helpful & friendly.  It's a sanctuary from some of the L/R related rows you see on Faceache...

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »

Post nicely, if you spot something obviously wrong, say so (with supporting evidence) without scoring points of each other,

I hate scoring points.

But there are two f's in off, Alan.

I know this because for some reason I see **** off rather a lot! (No idea why..... :-X)

Cabin fever is definitely setting in. :agh

On a serious note, as someone who currently lives solo I know the importance of managing one's health, including mental health.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 05:53:10 PM »

:thud

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »

I've been fighting demons for so long I really can't remember not fighting them. 

For me it all started with the military.  Since I was a little kid all I wanted to do was become an Army infantry officer.  My parents often found me digging trenches and foxholes around the property.   When the time arrived I applied for an appointment to West Point and got in - it shocked everyone since I was always the 'runt'.  Due to family issues I had to give it up and instead went the ROTC route.  I excelled at it; I was ranked in the top 3% out of 4,200 Cadets in my regional training Regiment, was in the top 1% in my company (on campus) and was 2nd in command of the Cadet Ranger battalion (for those Cadets slated for Special Forces).  Life was golden and I was recently married to the girl I knew would be my wife since 5th grade.

Less than 6 months from receiving my commission I was in a training accident at Ft. Knox.  The injury wasn't bad enough to get me booted out, but they found an issue with my spine - that got me booted out of tge military.  Since I was just a cadet, and under no contract, I was not entitled to any military benefits.  Life came crashing down and I went into a tailspin.

After college I found a job that I was rather good at - the purchasing department for a national chain store.  In order to move up the corporate ladder though I had to serve as a floor manger - for 1 to 2 years - in one of the stores, which meant 'store management training' which took a year as well.  So I was transferred to a training store 500 miles away.

The training was a nightmare - the store manager was abusive to other managers.  As an example - I was late to a management meeting by about 15 minutes due to car issues.  After being lectured, in front of the other managers, I was made to stand in front of them with hand hand pointing up, at the 12 position, and the other pointing at the 8 position.  I was told to repeat "meetings start at 8am" several times.  Within months I had developed a bleeding ulcer and tge doc said I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  Needless to say I left.  About a year later we found out that the person who had been sent there before me did have a breakdown.  Eventually that store/training manger got fired.

This incident just added to the depression caused by the military. 

Eventually I landed a purchasing management position with a wholesale company that supplied material for construction companies.  I was climbing the ladder quickly and really liked the company and wanted to retire from it.  Then I got sick... felt like I had the worst case of flu in history.  One day, while getting dressed to go to work, I collapsed and was rushed to the ER.  While there I died, but they brought me back.  It took days for them to figure out what was going on - Lupus.  It was in such a progressive state my immune system was destroyed and my lungs trashed.  I was given 'maybe' 5 years to live.  This just compounded the growing depression from the military and that job.

A couple years later the company I was with (a family run business) was sold to a much larger corporation that was in the wholesale building supply business.  I was offered a corporate position, but that would require transferring to Houston TX, and the wife was not willing to relocate, her career was taking off.  Besides, even though my health was doing better the docs said I would not live to see 2003 AND we had previously purchased a historic house and property that needed work done on it, we would stay put.

The wife and I decided that since the docs said I wouldn't live to see 2003 (this was in 2000) I would just live out the rest of my days working on the house and property.

2003 came around and I was still alive - the docs were surprised.  Unfortunately I got sick easily, and still do, but I was out of the woods.  This is when I decided to do something I've wanted to since I was a little kid - buy a Land Rover.  I was a gift to myself for beating the odds - sort of a 'proof of life' type thing.  This is also when I decided to reenter the working world.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a job when you haven't worked in several years?  When the employer asks "why" you haven't worked in so long, and you tell them "health" issues, it raised a lot of red flags.  Once in awhile I would find a job, and at the drop of a hat I'd get sick again, usually bronchitis, and loose it.  Most companies won't keep someone around who gets sick, for 2 to 3 weeks at a time, about once every 3 to 4 months.  This really, REALLY adds to the depression and demons. 

I finally gave up trying to find a job in 2010.  I keep trying to figure out some sort of home based business I coukd do, but nothing pans out.  About 5 years ago I even considered buying an Army Navy surplus store, but the seller kept dragging their feet and leading us on - the owner just couldn't bare giving it up and retiring.  We even offered to buy it and keep them on, but they didn't want to do that.

We live in a small town, about 1,500 people, just about everyone knows I'm not working and that the wife is the bread winner, yet very very few know the 'rest of the story'.  This also leads to depression - it doesn't help when you run into town and people who give you a funny look - you can't help but think they are thinking how pathetic and emasculated you are.  And yes, the wife has had people ask "what's wrong with him".

I live with demons and depression every day.  It weighs heavy and just keeps compounding.  I do my best not to keep it bottled up while keeping a stiff upper lip as well.  On the bright side, I can say I have not turned to alcohol or drugs in order to cope.

One way I have tried to help myself is by letting others open up and talk to me.  I don't care who you are - if you're struggling, and just need to talk - I listen. 

Sorry for such a long post, yet I felt it might help someone down the road, never know who might be reading this.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 05:08:57 PM »

Good stuff Correus. :o

Bottling stuff up is never good.

OK, so you didn't turn to drugs or alcohol, but isn't Land Rover addiction worse than that!?  :-X

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 05:29:39 PM »

Conversation is critical, as is the willingness to open up to friends and not face challenge or ridicule. Everybody has a voice and everybody has a cross to bear. Some people need more help than others. We have a history of clinical depression in our family which bizarrely only seems to run through the female line. My mother, elder sister and grandmother all suffered, so I know the warning signs and know what its also like to be on the receiving end of somebody who is suffering. Its not easy for anybody. I watch my two daughters like a hawk for any possible warning signs!
Mental illness is a tough one. Those that have never been depressed or been close to somebody who suffers, cannot possibly understand how much it drags the sufferer down and also those closest to them. The more people open up and talk about this, in my view the better. All too often friends and family are totally unaware until its too late.
Thankfully I don't think I suffer in this way, but for various reasons over the past few years, I've faced unbelievable stress and financial difficulty. I'm not out of it yet by any means. I may curse and swear about old Land Rovers, but as a hobby, I enjoy nothing more than pottering up to my garage and building something, repairing something, or just sorting out any old bit of Land Rover. Its my way of getting away from it all and clearing my head. Given that I work as an automotive fleet consultant, one might think that's a bit "coals to Newcastle", but in reality its the best stress reliever I could have. Adding my bit of knowledge to help others on this forum is just as rewarding. Some people play golf, some watch some strange game called football, I don't do that, I fix things...
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 05:30:41 PM »

One way I have tried to help myself is by letting others open up and talk to me.  I don't care who you are - if you're struggling, and just need to talk - I listen.

Hi Correus,

They say a good friend will give you his last fiver (£5 for our foreign readers).

And a very good friend will help you hide the body.

Perhaps we should add being a member of this forum to that list ...but probably in between the above?

What are the chances of getting an S2 on the NHS The afore-mentioned foreign readers should ask Trump why he wanted it.

West Point?  Wow! I'd clean your boots, but my tongue is too dry.

My CO at my SAM Site was an ex-Spitfire pilot during WW2. While we were building up the site, he was knocking packing crates into planks, built a bar (dry) in the crew-room, and took his turn serving, just till things got established. The profits went into his Squadron Welfare Fund.

Nearing Tour-Ex, I asked him to lend me the equivalent of £700. "Certainly Corporal Williams! What do you want it for?" 

"To send our dog back to the UK, Sir!"
"Great! Let me know how you get on. I'm thinking about doing the same".

Our savings were all in UK, and it took time to get them transferred back out to Malaya.

The following week, Hank had nipped down to Singapore.  His Deputy called me into his office ... wanting to know when I was going to repay the loan. P...t!

I read that Hank retired as a Wing Commander.

What I am noticing in MK, is that medical staff tend to shout at you. A radiographer (sp?) shouted at Barbara for be unable to stand straight in front of an Xray machine. She can't *&%^$ stand straight! ... she needed to lean on her walking sticks, with an arm that won't straighten beyond 90*. Academic now, she can't walk anywhere.

PS. £700 was the price to fly a dog to UK, in a QANTAS 707. We then had to pay for six months in quarantine. There ain't no Rabies in the UK. I believe Oz is even more stringent.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
FAO Gibbo ..Dropped Kerb.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 07:34:22 PM »

Hi Dave,

I was in the middle of answering your mail ... and lost it. ???

Whatever, current state of play is that I'm enlarging, and doing an on-screen "trace" of the MK "idiot sheet" (logical tree). I'm guessing Joe Public has to make do with either 2point or 3 point print on a flow chart (aka Idiot Sheet) There are 72 points per inch, which I'm redrafting to 8 point.

Whatever, now I read it easily, I can see that ...

BE AWAREl.

The Council may not permit extensions of an
               existing crossing. or permit a secondary crossing.

It is NOT Council policy to oppose IN and OUT crossings.

Hmmm! Not the clearest way of putting things. I assume that it's their way of allowing vehicles to drive onto the property, and then drive off again IN THE SAME GEAR?  Yeah, that's what I wanted, so why didn't they sat so in the first place?

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 07:41:49 PM »

Good stuff Correus. :o

Bottling stuff up is never good.

OK, so you didn't turn to drugs or alcohol, but isn't Land Rover addiction worse than that!?  :-X

Yes, yes it is... 

There are times Grover is the only thing leaving me sane.  There's been many a time I've crawled under Grover just to think and poke around. 

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 08:02:51 PM »

Hi Correus,

They say a good friend will give you his last fiver (£5 for our foreign readers).

And a very good friend will help you hide the body.

Perhaps we should add being a member of this forum to that list ...but probably in between the above?

What are the chances of getting an S2 on the NHS The afore-mentioned foreign readers should ask Trump why he wanted it.

West Point?  Wow! I'd clean your boots, but my tongue is too dry.

My CO at my SAM Site was an ex-Spitfire pilot during WW2. While we were building up the site, he was knocking packing crates into planks, built a bar (dry) in the crew-room, and took his turn serving, just till things got established. The profits went into his Squadron Welfare Fund.

Nearing Tour-Ex, I asked him to lend me the equivalent of £700. "Certainly Corporal Williams! What do you want it for?" 

"To send our dog back to the UK, Sir!"
"Great! Let me know how you get on. I'm thinking about doing the same".

Our savings were all in UK, and it took time to get them transferred back out to Malaya.

The following week, Hank had nipped down to Singapore.  His Deputy called me into his office ... wanting to know when I was going to repay the loan. P...t!

I read that Hank retired as a Wing Commander.

What I am noticing in MK, is that medical staff tend to shout at you. A radiographer (sp?) shouted at Barbara for be unable to stand straight in front of an Xray machine. She can't *&%^$ stand straight! ... she needed to lean on her walking sticks, with an arm that won't straighten beyond 90*. Academic now, she can't walk anywhere.

PS. £700 was the price to fly a dog to UK, in a QANTAS 707. We then had to pay for six months in quarantine. There ain't no Rabies in the UK. I believe Oz is even more stringent.

West Point... meh... it lost its luster many years ago.  Even though I wasn't allowed to stay in the Army I still mixed with the military in other ways.  I quickly learned that officers coming from the academies are not very well respected and tend to be horses' butts. 

Most of the Army officers I know got their commissions either through ROTC or OCS, the rest from West Point.  The best way I know how to compare the differences between graduates from West Point and the other two is via the movie 'Zulu'.  There's a scene in the movie I call the 'mud pie' scene - it's the one in which Chard is overseeing and actively helping build that bridge and meets Bromhead for the first time.  Bromhead represents West Point graduates and Chard the other.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.