S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disability Ramps  (Read 934 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Disability Ramps
« on: March 19, 2021, 07:54:27 AM »

https://www.theramppeople.co.uk/blog/wheelchair-ramps-and-part-m-building-regulations-a-guide/

Hi,

I've just been looking at the above link.

Those who follow our adventures will be aware that Social Services have recently installed a ramp, so that Barbara can exit the front door.

It is seven feet long, about 30 inches wide, with about 3 inch high upstands on both sides.

It rises about 12 iinches, so roughly 1 in 7 incline.

There are no handrails.

I'm guessing that Barbara would find it difficult, possibly impossible, to evacuate the house in a hurry, without help, should the need arise. There is a flap that folds down into a short ramp, once the frond door is opened, to enabled wheeled evacuees, to get over the upstand. This would involve opening the front door, then "angling" for the lanyard, that would enable her to pull thebflap into place.

According to the link mentioned above, this ramp is too narrow,,and too steep. I don't know if aluminium checker plate counts as non-slip ... I'd be reluctant to test it on a frosty morning.

Comments on a postcard, pretty please. Is our ramp legal?

The 602 solutions? Replace the complete front-door assembly with one that does not have a booby-trap across the bottom,(£3,000 new and fitted?), have a flat area outside the door, where a wheel chair can do a 90* turn, easily, then run a slope down the side of the bungalow. With luck (or design) it should be possible to open a car door over the slope, Lowering the front door will bring the necessary step down to about 8".at the high end.

A grab rail on the bungalow wall that Barbara can hook her stick onto, to pull herself out of the car ......

Nick666

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5760
Disability Ramps
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 08:15:30 AM »

I wouldn't have the knowledge to comment on the safety of your options, but re the alu chequerplate you can buy 'non-slip' additive that you could mix in with a paint or lacquer to paint over the chequerplate. Or the non-slip tape they use on stair treads. Either would give you the same texture. Of course if you did a slope down the side of the bungalow you could do it in a material / texture that would give you the non-slip anyway.

Conundrum! I hope you find a satisfactory solution!

N

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
Re: Disability Ramps
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 09:37:23 AM »

John, when lockdown finishes, I will come over and discuss solutions with you and Barbara. ( socially distanced of course). I have in the past sorted all of these issues for my parents’ bungalow when my mother was in a wheel chair. I also have a few grab rails available. Dave

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: Disability Ramps
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 12:15:44 PM »

Hi Dave,

Your offer is accepted.

:cheers

PS, Is there anybody here who doesn't know about Disabled Facility grants, and in particular "means testing"?
The trick seems to be to keep any demands below £6,000, to avoid "means testing".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.