S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 602's DROPPED KERB ...AGAIN  (Read 1568 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
602's DROPPED KERB ...AGAIN
« on: February 01, 2021, 10:43:33 AM »

Hi,

Further to the discussion of several months ago, I've had further thoughts, and have decided that using the "wheel chair" dropped kerb on the corner is going to cause too many frowns from the highways people. I have decided that what I really, really want, is a second drive, alongside the first, which will allow me to park, nose (OR tail) in, in front, of the second bedroom study window.

I would then want to widen the existing dropped kerb (which is not mentioned in the existing "Local Authority Standing Orders"). But I would prefer to keep within the letter and spirit of the law.

There is also the matter of the fairly sturdy tree tree growing in the corner between the existing  drive, and the footpath. I'm guessing that the planners will frown at it, but I would argue that it is less of an obstacle than a gate post. It will, however, add several inches to the width of the dropped kerb extension.

I would argue that a wider drive would be necessary to facilitate easy access by two drivers, one of whom is disabled. (Barbara has just bought me a pair of "armpit" crutches, and we pay £5 a day for Wilkie to be walked. I'm not whinging yet, but I have a blue badge in mind. Walking hurts, even just around the house).

The LA might argue that this would prevent cars that are visiting the neighbourhood from parking in the road outside my house.

I guestimate my drive is 16 metres from the corner. Subtract four metres from the corner, and another four metres from my drive, as they are both presumed to no parking areas, we are left with 8 metres, maybe enough to park two smallish cars, provided both drivers are wearing their "pedantic" hats. Sensibly, there is room to park one medium size car, plus a 3m wide, second drive (though not enough room to park a car if the above 4 metre constrain is imposed

Ahem! It could be argued that I could lay a drive across the front of the house, T-boning off the existing drive. That would usually  mean grazing the opposite kerb with the Freelandere, and doing a U-turn into the front garden, to enter, but doing a zig-zag course to exit, and face the other way ... I live on the corner of a cul-de-sac.

OK, if there is that much room, I'll park the Freelander in the road outside my house. The next legal street parking space is about 100 yards away. at the far end of the cul-de-sac. The hammer head at that end of the cul-de-sac, is often blocked with parked cars.

I once gave black (African?) driver, of the council refuse truck, the thumbs up in recognition of his skill in reversing down my cul-de-sac, zig-zagging between the cars parked in the road. I got a beaming smile in return. We still exchange "tugged forelocks" when we pass.

My daughter's street (deeper into Milton Keynes) is also a cul-de-sac, also with a hammer head at the deep end. One house fronts the full width of one end of the hammer head, which has a triplee dropped kerb There are usually a couple of cars parked in the road, facing the dropped kerb, thus preventing the Freelander doing a U-turn. On Sunday, there were three cars (plus a couple on his drive?). The other end of the hammerhead also usually contains a couple of street parked cars, but that's not within my U-turn area.

To the point, are any of our readers able to comment on my chances of making a successful application to extend my dropped kerb, and/or appealing. My understanding is that there will be a (small) fee for applying, but appeals are (nominally) free.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: 602's DROPPED KERB ...AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »

Just do it ... Unless you have upset a neighbour you are unlikely ever to get "shopped".
Cant' remember when the council last came round our road.

What's the worst that could happen ???They could make you reinstate what ever you did - you could argue a good case.

:coffee

Who's a then ?

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:02:41 PM »

Not sure how different councils are but at my previous house turned the front garden to double wide driveway. Council we’re fine about it - collected their fee I didn’t even see the survey, no idea if the guy got out of the car or just drive past but was unusually straightforward compared to normal dealings with our council.

Their only stipulation was used a contractor that was on their approved list, and they only gave out the list when they approved the kerb dropping.

Our road was a cul de sack - we were the penultimate semi detached house to the end and the last before the turning area

So I guess similar situation but different council - no idea if that helps or not

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 03:14:34 PM »

Hi Dave,

I built a house in a back lane, in the Swansea Valley. The house (9m wide), in a 15m wide plot (peviously my back/side garden)

The LA tarmaced , FOC, the previously unmade, unadopted lane, but wrote to say that the lane was NOT being adopted.

Our overdraft facility (£50,000 in the late 1989s, and I didn't have a job), was still within llimits, so I had a dropped kerb laid  ...  12m ...£1,500.

S,

We sold that house in 1989, for £79,000 in 2000.  It hasn't changed hands since since.

Google says it is now worth £195,000 to £292,000 (Swansea Valley, remember), making it potentially the most expensive house in the street. I can't do anything right. Doh!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 04:13:19 PM »

That's inflation for you...

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 05:05:38 PM »

That's inflation for you...

Hi Alan,

The first house we bought, in Caterham-on-the Hill, in 1968, for £4,500 ( a modern but very inconvenient house) and  sold for £9,000 in 1972. I can't remember when it was last sold (but I'll check), for just over £300,000.

John

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 05:24:23 PM »

Hi,

£357,000  :thud

Well, it was within a (long) walking distance of Kenley train station, direct to London Bridge.

Barbara's office (C&E) was just the other side of the bridge

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:45:37 PM »

Yeah that house I mentioned,gave £140k for it, spent £15k doing it up and sold for £135k not my finest hour - but the one previous to that more than tripled in value between me buying and selling so win some and lose some I guess. Am at the point now where if there is a roof over my head and it doesn’t leak I really don’t mind what the value is. When I go the dogs home can either have more or less depending how the market is but I have no intention of it being any time soon.

A driveway will useally add between 10 and 20 grand to your house over on street parking I believe based on many surveys over the years and comes up usually top on what buyers like or close second to a garden so not a bad investment idea if you are bothered about house price / future sales

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 08:25:08 PM »

so not a bad investment idea if you are bothered about house price / future sales

Hi Dave,

Barbara is concerned about leaving a substantial inheritance to our daughter, a philosophy that I agree with, our disagreement is about how to do it. I reckon that two dropped kerbs should be the first step ... there is plenty of room for more cars/caravan/trailer boat, etc, but using the planned second dropped kerb, and a bit of manouvering on an "unmetalled" front garden. The first dropped kerb will already hold 2 big cars, but I'm not sure about 3 medium cars.

And then there is the garage ... but who puts cars in garages?

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 08:32:56 PM »

John, before you apply for the widened dropped kerb, give me a shout and I will have a word with the powers that be. Remember that I worked with  MK highways ( albeit on bridges and structures) for more than 5 years prior to retiring a couple of years ago, so still know most of the characters there. Dave

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 07:57:47 PM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that offer, which I will take up.

You will probably remember the "undefendable" strip on the other side of my bungalow to the garage, from whence you collected some firewood .. 40ft long, by about 10ft dropping to 5ft (both guestimated). I want to fence it, 2 metres high, to match the back garden fence on the same boundary. and remove the 5ft long fence, to join together both side and rear gardens, but keeping them both private.

Fences within two metres of a highway boundary are "Permitted Development", provide they are no more than one metre high.

I made contact with a web-pal on the Garden Law forum, who is a retired Planning Consultant who enjoys a challenge. He confirmed that a two metre fence would be OK, provide I obtained Planning Approval.

Friends are telling me just to "just do it".  I ... er ... locked horns with a "well known" lady councillor, by mentioning "Ombudsman" in my discussion with a "social worker", over a Disabled Facilities Grant for Barbara's adaptations. I've made my peace with the social worker, but think the lady councilor is going to be a long job. It would seem sensible to keep my head down.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 11:38:17 AM »

There's a building ( a long retired pub turned residence) i used to pass several times a week until recently, it's on a small but busy road with a few shops ( buses go thru frequently)..there has been a simple loose length of wood in the kerb to create a crude "ramp" in place there for at least 10 years, probably still there, no one has removed it or created an issue with it..(the local authority in the area are not especially friendly either..) 
My point being just do it..!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 11:37:32 PM »

Hi.

I replaced the fence on the same street border, but only on the rear garden. 40ft (12m?) of 2m high feather edge, on 100mm x 100mm posts, and Arris rails. A daysc work for my tame builder and his mate. £600.

The same builder quoted £15,000 to link our bathroom wall, with the garage wall, both brick, by blocking the side alley. (we have rear access on the other side of the bungalow. That's to include blending the roofs together, too. We have an apparently wheel-chair friendly shower ... pity the WC prevents a wheel-chair getting into the shower. The wheelchair also prevents the bathroom door from closing. We have to tell the builders to take a hike several times a day. Of course, she didn't have a wheel-chair until after we moved.

We have already converted the lounge/diner door into French Windows, so Barbara doesn't have to do an awkward zig-zag across the hall to get into the bathroom.

The plan is to have an all-singing, all dancing bathroom. Refit the bath, generous wheel in shower, high level WC (Barbara struggles for altitude) and sink. Builder says I can have a gentleman's "scatter can" (have you seen the price a a cu.ft. a water?). A mate rented a house with a bidet ... said it wasn't worth the bother. I think I will have problems persuading Barbara to use a "bath hoist".  I have to lift her feet into bed, so I can't see her climbing into a bath ... even a bath with a door.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.