S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: V8 Disco ... how high is the bottom line.  (Read 1075 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
V8 Disco ... how high is the bottom line.
« on: March 22, 2021, 05:50:01 AM »

Hi,

Most of you propbably aware that my Freelander is making potentially expensive noises, and needs a new clutch (though it might possibly just be adjustment ... running out of pedal free-play. I think I've lifted the bonnet twice since I bought it ... check engine oil and add antifreeze screen wash. I turn the key ... it goes.

I'm doing about 6 miles per day, to collect bank manager daughter to come and do some chores, and/or take Wilkie for grandson for an hours walk. GS has just finished his A-levels, with little likely hood of a job during lockdown, so this sinecure gives him some pocket money, and saves my knees.

I've been looking for a Disco (and here comes the crunch) most Discos on offer seem to be V8s.

My question is ... assuming that fuel consumption is almost irrelevant ... what are the basic overheads of running a V8 .... VED (My neighbour is paying £600 per year, to tax his RAV) ....  and insurance ... low mileage ... Barbara's Hyundai is coming up to three years old, and has 5500 miles on the clock, and I use it more than the Freelander.

I'm just pondering, you understand. Probably a non-starter, but let's clear some mud out of the water.

I suppose I should wait until I have my eyes checked for diabetic degrading first ... hospital appointment later this week.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 06:48:05 AM »

Assuming you mean Disco 1s? It wouldn't surprise me if the survivors are all V8s, considering the huge appetite for the Tdis for stopping into other things. No doubt they will start shooting up in value soon like early Range Rovers, so you might want to factor that into your calculations.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

gvo416j R.I.P.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »

Originally when tax based on emissions first started the rate for any particular car was fixed for life at the date of registration and all the gov. could do was change [increase] road tax equally across the whole range, but after losing a court case [late 1990s I think] they changed the rules in 2001 allowing them to alter tax bands for vehicles already a few years old.

2001 was when the first changes to the original 'emissions' tax rates were made, so

up to 2001 it is band K and will cost £270 for a year.

2001 to 2004 it will cost £330 a year.

In 2004 it was made even more complicated and as far as I know the only way to find the rate for a car newer than 2004 is to put the vehicle details into the gov. website. Parkers and other such generic sites only seem to quote rates for cars older than 2004.

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 09:06:27 AM »

Have you considered a wheelchair accessible vehicle? It may be more practical than a disco.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 07:17:33 AM »

Hi Gibbo,

Considered, not acted upon. London Taxi?

Remember that she stlll has her own HyundaiI X20, which is probably academic, as she has not been able to pass through our front door since the day before lock-down was introduced. She has only recently acknowledged that, just maybe, she is disabled.

Her attitude is/has been, that if she can get into the driver's seat, she can drive it. I doubt that she could climb into the back of any conventional car, and probably not the front passenger seat either.

I believe, due to her age (78 ... but I never told you that) she is not entitled to any Government assistance other than Attendance Allowance.  Unless you know different. ???

PS, Perhaps last night "incident" will concentrate her mind? All I know, so far is that they have given her pain killers, and were sending her up to the "Ward" at 04.30hrs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.