S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 602 Saga continues ....  (Read 3455 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: 602 Saga continues ....
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 09:18:00 AM »

Hi Peter,

Yes, I was RAF, but have been trying SSAFA. No reply to Emails, nor letters with a stamp. Barbara eventually got through, using a number provided by a social worker.

They asked what she needed. She told them. They said it was too much. End of conversation, no offer of help with just some of what she needed. I'm wondering if I should complain that I find their TV advertising offensive/misleading.

With many charities, a written reply usually opens with DO YOU WISH TO DONATE? Sort of discouraging one from reading further.

I made my monthly VOLUNTARY donations to the RAF Benevolent Fund. Any request to cease donating would have you marched into the CO's office, within a matter of minutes.

Soon after joining up, I discovered the Station Library, spent many an hour browsing their reference books.

I read a feature by the RAF Benevolent Fund, extolling their generosity in giving a retired Squadron Leader, £3,000 (in late 1950s) to start a business. When that business failed, they gave him another £3,000. They also mentioned, briefly, LENDING £100 to a blind WW2 "AC Plonk" ... to bury his wife.

However, the RAF BF did pay my fees, when I enrolled at the local Tech College, to study for my ONC Mech Eng, which the Civil Service accepted as "above A-level" when I applied for promotion at DVLC. Going back to school in my late-20s, was not a comfortable experience.

The RAF BF representative was an ex-Halton Apprentice. He managed to confirm what I thought was my mate's BS ... Two RAF Apprentices a on a forbidden motor cycle, riding down the barrack block's first floor corridor, up a plank, through the window ... but not quite managing to enter the window of the next barrack block ... which HAD already been achieved when ridden solo. The Snowdrops (coz of the white hats) arrived to find one bloke groaning (broken arm). By that time, the bike had been buried.

There is also the Civil Service Benevolent Fund. I subscribed, but Barbara didn't. I always felt that they were more interested in their own pet charities, sending funds to encourage breast feeding in the Andes. I'm joking ... I think.  I will keep the CSBF on the back burner.

Actually, it's not money that is the problem ... it's where to get advice, from somebody who isn't scared that we have our eyes on their kitty.  For instance, Barbara is concerned about getting her second "Plague" injection. It was difficult enough to get a home visit from the district nurse, for her first jab. The surgery phone seems constantly engaged, and emailing them is too complicated for my little brain.

Our GP, in the Swansea Valley, was ex-Navy (frequent references to the brown stuff hitting the fan). If he got an inkling that you were under the weather,. HE would be knocking on the front door.

One of her recent visitors is arranging for Barbara to have her second jab at home. Barbara has expressed amazement at everybody's desire to help.

On the other hand, I wrote to keep the Local Authority's Occupational Therapist in the loop. She replied, ust to remind me that we were not entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant (No mention that grants under £6,000 are not means tested ... and you can keep going back for more).

I have just written to the Disabled Law Society, to ask if that rule entitles us to a £6,000 contribution towards our £15,000 bathroom extension.

I have also written to our un-accesible MP, asking if it is correct that we cannot off-set our liabilities against our assetts, when applying for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

We are touched by everybody's concern. Thankyou all.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »

I am sure the RAf Benevolent fund can offer advice too and even help deal with other agencies.

Worth a shot

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 07:48:31 PM »

Hi All,,

Again, thank you for your concern and good wishes.

Barbara continues to improve, but still has nasty bruises around her ankle ... obvious when I'm  lifting her "second leg" into bed, and still sore.  She is still very nervous when transferring from her "chariot" to the "throne".

If anybody knows about such things, and can advise ...  The WC is directly in front of the bathroom door, which is almost directly opposite the living room door (now double french windows, so she didn't have to zig-zag across the hall to get into the bathroom).  The bathroom door opens into the bathroom, and her chariot prevents the door from closing. But even if the door opened into the hall, her chariot handles would still project enough to prevent the door closing fully.  It's a matter of asking visitors to evacuate the house when "needs must". 

Does that arrangement gives us any clout with which to hit Local Authority?

Just to enhance things, her social worker/opccupational therapist is "Away from the office, but will reply to my mail on her return"  When will that be?   ???  She is a lovely lady, but I feel she is bound by "constraints".

HTH

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: 602 Saga continues .... FAO Gibbo.
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 08:11:04 AM »

Hi Dave,

An Email to Barbara's Social Worker, received a reply to say she was away from her office ... no indication of when she will return. I briefly wondered if she is being "frowned at", following Barbara's adventures? Like making light of Barbara's limitations. Probably not.

I have been looking at the Building Regulations for "ramps"... but I'm not sure that I'm looking in the right place.

I seem to be finding a maximum gradient of 1:10. Barbara's ramp is (nominally) 2.1m measured along the track, so presumably less measured horizontally, and rises  300mm, so let's call it a 1.7 gradient.

I suggest that if anybody falls off the ramp, the 300mm (nominally 12") will be the effective drop, before they hit the brick covered drive.  I went A over T a couple of weeks ago (my mud, so my fault), landed on similar bricks. My elbow is still very sore, very locally, but I'll give it a couple of more weeks before seeing the quack.

There are no hand rails, which I think are a requirement.

The ramp in a nominal 29" wide. I think it should be wider

There is a fold over flap, to bring the ramp into the house. This flap hinges back over the ramp, to enable the front door to close. Barbara would be unable to flip the flap, to escape the house in an emergency. Nor close the door behind her. And I am uncomfortable walking down this ramp with the flap not flipped, although it does seem to have been designed for use by able-bodied people, when not flipped.

So YES. Barbara can exit/enter the house,  but only if she has somebody to prepare the way. Is that the way the welfare system is supposed to work?

Nanuq

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7780
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »

Hi 602, there are other avenues to pursue with this too.  For close clearances between the WC and doors or chariots and doors, take a look here:

https://toiletfound.com/small-compact-toilets/

We had to do this when we were finishing a special bathroom for my dad, and his design yielded too small of a space so the doors couldn't close when the WC was occupied. 

Almost everyone installs "elongated" WCs now, but the old fashioned "round" WC will be fine for Barbara, not having the same plumbing we guys have.  You won't enjoy it much but it should be workable in a pinch and provide several inches more clearance between the bowl and the door.

I hope this helps!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 24 queries.