S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving in UK by non-Brits, and vice-versa. Probably OT.  (Read 2226 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Driving in UK by non-Brits, and vice-versa. Probably OT.
« on: October 13, 2019, 08:11:39 AM »

Hi Alan,

Herewith the "political" mail I mentioned.

At present, our motor insurance covers us to drive anywhere in the EU, with reciprocal arrangements. Two questions.

1. Will that arrangement continue?

2. If it doesn't, will the insurers issue new Certificates of Insurance, or will they wait for expiry, and will there be any refunds or reductions in premiums.

3. My understanding is that if you are stopped for a motoring offence, and are not carrying your driving licence, and do not have a UK address,  you will be arrested and be in court tomorrow morning. Discuss!

Most/all EU states require their citizens to carry an ID card. Brits don't, so have to carry their passports when walking foreign streets. Will Europeans need to carry their passports in UK ... but passports don't show your address. The French don't muck about ... they just follow you to the nearest cash-point.

Simple question ... how will Brexit affect your/our/their freedom to drive ... MOT exemption, for instance.

PS, I heard of one case where French police stopped a UK driver, told him to change a failed side lamp bulb. Nigh impossible.  The police called out a local garage, told them to send the bill to the French manufacturer.   :first

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
Re: Driving in UK by non-Brits, and vice-versa. Probably OT.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »

In the unlikely event an actual 'brexit' ever happens that is.. :shakeinghead

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »

I have just had an email from my insurance company telling me of a requirement to carry a green card in the event of “no deal”.

It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 10:20:34 AM »

For those of us who are old enough (and I think you are 602!) to remember driving in the rest of Europe before we joined the EU, it wasn't a problem - just apply for your green card which insurers will be offering again, and carry your passport, just like before.

It might be that you have to apply for an International Driving Permit, but I haven't heard that mentioned.
I think (but can't be sure) that requirement stopped for driving in most of Europe before we joined the EU anyway  ???

I'm sure the non-UK drivers visiting here will have similar schemes in place.

In the big scheme of things that can go wrong with BREXIT, I think this is a mere inconvenience   ;)
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

geoff

• .:
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »

I wonder if the Spanish Bail Bond will make a comeback  ???  again small cheese in the scheme of things  :tiphat

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 10:56:38 AM »

It is, however, another layer of inconvenience and cost (regardless how minimal) that had been done away with.

vod80

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6312
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »

My French insurance automatically has a Green Card and covers drivers for loads of countries - a lot of which are not part of the EU (as examples - Russia, Turkey, Morocco and so on...)

No real reason this couldn't be done for the UK...
Not getting anywhere, fast

GatheR RoveR

• Chassis welder
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »

In the Netherlands we must always carry a paper to ID yourself with. You will only be asked for it if something happened. I’m over 50 and never had to.
Also a driver licence is an ID.
In the Netherlands you must register your adres, so it does not have to be on your ID..
As I understand it is in the UK not the same. But the govenement is looking for someone, the government will always be able to get your address. Everything is connected... (Big brother)

Most car insurances provide (or you can ask for) a green card with the countries that will be covered.

If England exits the EU it will be on the green card. No doubt about it. Before the “beginning” of the EU I was also ensured in on your side of the water.

When I went outside the EU I had an international drivers permit, for in case they take the license, with my Dutch licence (in my case) I will still be able to drive around waiting for the verdict and return of the International permit.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/international-drivers-permit-468481

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »

Spoke to my Insurance about a Green Card, "No problem we will Email one over at no charge when you need it"
Depends on the Insurance company/
Pre EEC (may have been EU) the only pain in the rear country was Spain Green card and an International driving license
Even now days lots of countries require an International license and insurance for that country, a lot you cannot get in the UK or Europe and have to buy on the boarder.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

er ... Smokey 11A ... I don't remember seeing that name recently.

Memory failing... any connection with a well known builders merchant?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 16 queries.