S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bye Bye Jimny  (Read 2284 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Bye Bye Jimny
« on: October 24, 2019, 06:55:25 AM »

Hi,

The Jimny has gone to a new home, where I hope she (he?) will be happy.

Hmmm! My 81st birthday as still a few months away. I might have one more "new chassis project" in me, but not in Milton Keynes (the Swansea Valley has it's own sub-culture). I don't think I'd want to hang a powered "tail gate" under the nearside door of an OLD Series 2.

Hmmm 2!  "Mermaid" (trade name) make a BATH HOIST ... SWMBO craning for the use of, which seems to hang from a rail on the bathroom ceiling, winches the subject off the floor, moves them across the room, and lowers them into the bath. Electric winch with remote control. I think about £1,500. I wonder if I could hang such a device off a Series roof-rack?

How do other people get round S2 "boarding" problems for the less able , without going bankrupt? Belly mounted HI-AB? Small, portable, elevating platform?

Your turn will come!

602 (Who'd love to return to the fold)

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
Re: Bye Bye Jimny
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »

There does come a point where it’s genuinely cheaper and easier to just get taxis. For my mum it was when she was about 79.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

oddjob

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 2153
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »

This summer we used the kitchen steps to help my 94 year old uncle into the series 2.
He is like a whippet though!

We’re all here because we’re not all there.

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »

I saw a conversion for defenders which essentially swapped the coil springs for air bags, allowing the vehicle to Kneel.  Not quite such an easy solution available for leafers, is there?

Fluffle-Valve

• Carawagon Owner
  • S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 2919
  • .:
  • So Love me, Love my Dogs.
    • Blogspot
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »

Age is a thing that suddenly crept up on me and I'm not that old, really. Everything you handle is heavier. Steps seem to be higher and harder to get up them. Body internals starts breaking down and or give up and you need them removing. Bodily functions are not what they used to be. Your eyesight along with your hearing gets worse. Feet and knees and any joint for that matter hurts. You find you're taking tablets for ailments you've forgotten you have. The list goes on and on.
If I live for the next 20 years, I'm dreading on what's coming next. How hard can it get?
This is my Dormawagon.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »

This summer we used the kitchen steps to help my 94 year old uncle into the series 2.
He is like a whippet though!

Good for him!!!   :tiphat

In September I was finally able to test drive Grover.  It was just the chassis and everything that makes it go zoom-zoom, but it was a glorious drive!   My mother turned 75 that week and the year before she said all she wanted for her birthday was to ride in Grover.

Since the test drive went off without a hitch the father-in-law and I built a platform that a bench could be attached to so she could go for a ride.  It looked like something from the "Beverly Hillbillies" and was dubbed "the Redneck Wagon".  I literally sat on a metal milk crate in order to drive.

I was able to take my mother for her ride.  I also took the mother-in-law and a close family friend for a ride as well, all three at the same time.  The youngest was 73 and the oldest was 80.  All three just laughed and giggled as we rumbled and bumbled along - it was like Mr. Toad and his wild ride.

Due to the height of the platform they had to use folding steps a little taller than yours.

We have lots of video, but very few photos, the following are about the best I've got showing the platform.   The last pic shows the 3 ladies, as well as the father-in-law and SWMBO, I had them all climb aboard so I could get check strap measurements.

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »

I saw a conversion for defenders which essentially swapped the coil springs for air bags, allowing the vehicle to Kneel.  Not quite such an easy solution available for leafers, is there?

Ditto, the owner up at Strathearn Engineering had something similar.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »

Hi,

Barbara struggles to get over the thresh-hold of our front door. (UPVC doors have a four sided frame .... traditional doors have nothing across the bottom, or very little.  Six inch steps require a vertical struggling bar. She refuses to have a "disabled" walk-in bath tub because of the step to get in. She would not be able to "operate" Correus' step ladder

I suspect that sometime soon, my dinner will be in the dog, when I break through my matrimonial borders, and get "heavy" on her behalf ... MP, newspapers, medical whatever complaints procedures, etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.