S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 602, where are you?  (Read 844 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
602, where are you?
« on: March 05, 2023, 11:17:45 AM »

I haven't seen any posts from 602 for a while. I hope he's ok.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: 602, where are you?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 01:33:30 PM »

I was wondering the same. Last seen 1st March according to his profile.
Is anybody in the real world able to check if he's ok?
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

scotty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6581
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 02:40:07 PM »

Hi  :tiphat I did wonder that as well, I hope all is well with himself and his good lady, regards Paul

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 04:57:22 PM »

He does have carers in daily, so some one will be aware if he is unwell.

Paul

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 07:03:16 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for everybody's concern ... I was having similar thoughts myself. Eg ... "Am I OK?". No , not really ... my knees hurt, but that is par for the course. I few days ago, I marooned myself on the way back to bed, carrying two cups of coffee ... knees didn't want to go any further. Normally, I'd just grab the nearest bit of furniture, and hang until I recover... but I didn't have a spare hand to hang on with.

Previously, my Head Carer, a formidable African lady arrived to catch me half-way up a ladder. She wasn't willing to listen, while I tried to explain that I had dragged my self up, by hand, only using my feet as sorts of ratchets. Previously the Head Honcho-ess, and Barbara had had loud words, The rest of the care team made themselves scarce.. The two girls are still friends ... She Who Must be Obeyed often treats/brings us fish and chips.

Completely OT ... some of you may remember that we moved from the Swansea Valley to Milton Keynes. Big price differential.  Oh OK, we had to find an extra £70,000.Problem! We were both aged about 80, so none of the High Street banks, nor Building Societies would entertain us. So I aproached an Equity Release firm to see if they could offer their service, but as a FIRST mortgage. Not a problem, all done and dusted within a matter of days. As far as I can make out, we do not have to make ANY repayments. Their investors prefer to wait for the interest to roll up .... 4% compound. Barbara decreed that we would make monthly payments sufficient to cover the interest. It seems painless!

The lenders wrote to us, offering a £25 reward for any suggestions that might improve their service.

I pointed out that the conventional property lenders demand that the mortgage should be expected to be repaid before retirement, or expected death. The Equity Release release lenders demand that the debt, PLUS compound interest, will be repaid on the borrowers death (which might come as a nasty surprise to one's heirs). The cheque for £25 arrived by return of post.

I have recently noticed adverts, from that particular lender, now offering FIRST mortgages ... I think without the need to make monthly repayments. We are happy, apart from only receiving £25, for a suggestion that will probably earn them millions. Do your own research.. It is probably not a good idea to borrow huge amounts of money, to purchase a depreciating  asset.

Whoops, I forgot what I'm replying to. Most of my time recently has been spent on the drawing board screen, working on my builder's (Irish ... with a degree) suggestion to cut a hole in the bathroom wall, and a similar hole in the garage wall, and build a short link between the two, and move all the sanitation porcelain into one half of the garage, and keep the other half as a "man cave" accessed from the rear garden. Hmmm ... our current 5ft by 6ft "facilities" room contains a porcelain throne, a wash basin, and an electric shower, but no shower cubicle (so easy for my "Ladies of the Wash" to observe me in action, assisting when necessary, and then dry my back.,.. etc  :cheers ). Thinks ... bath, shower, basin, bidet, and "scatter can" (gentleman's urinal) and WC. Any other suggestions? The washing machine and tumble drier, could be moved from the conservatory to the current shower space, but that is a longish walk to the garden door ... Hey! That would be the carer's problem.

The other half of the garage can be fitted out as a hobby machine shop ... I already have a grinder, pedestal drill, and circular "chop" saw. The brick built, with piers, garage is only 9ft wide externally, so not really wide enough to work on a car ... or even open doors on both sides at the same time.

Bays in car parks are required to be 8ft wide. Cars should be required to drive into parking bays, and reverse out. Also, everybody should park with their off-side wheels ON the white line, which would give the maximum door opening space to everybody.

PS, Warning received that I had new replies.

My thanks to everybody for their kind thoughts.

My father once commented that he didn't know how to be "ill". I know what he meant. Apart from the childhood stuff, until recently I have been stupidly healthy ... two months in Croydon General with a broken femur, followed by a weeks concussion, aged 16. And in 1964, I missed a 12 month tour at USAF base HICKAM FIELD on Honolulu (If you saw the film PEARL HARBOUR, the two American fighter pilots "sortied" from Hickam Field.) After three weeks in RAF Hospital Wroughton, confined to bed, the Quacks informed me the my Tuberculosis was cured. Somebody else got my posting. All's well, etc. I assume the RAF "vetted" me very carefully, before deciding that RAAF Butterworth, on the Malayan mainland, was a good place for me to be, not realising that Barbara would accept my proposal, and want to come with me.  I've said it before, I gave her two years living on Penang Island, swimming in the Indian Ocean every afternoon. She managed to save more than the RAF would have paid me, had we still been in the UK. Us Brits were paid enough to keep up with the Australian Jones'. I think the RAF liked me.

Our Malaysian mongrel flew to UK, in a QANTAS 707. . (£700, then). We came home in an Eagle Airways Britannia turbo-prop "troop-ship" ... narrow aisle, due to the extra row of seats. 26 hours, refuelling stops at Mumbai, and Istanbul. My father met us at Heathrow.

602 (General Service Medal with Arabian Peninsular clasp, Campaign Medal with Malaysian Peninsular clasp, both little more than luggage labels. The Pingat Jasa Medal, was given to all foreign troops, who were in Malaysia during the Conflict Years. I'm not sure what conflict that was. Anybody know? There was "conflict" when UK Parliament decreed that we should not receive two medals for one campaign. Silly ... they were taking on the British military ... and lost. I know ....
Doh! My ladies have arrived and demand I strip off ... no arguments. I know my place.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 07:08:46 PM »

Result!
Nice to see you back behind the screen!

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 07:31:59 PM »

John, Only 26hours to get back from Malaya- my father who served in the RAF in Malaya some few years before you travelled on the troop ship MS Devonshire! The Devonshire was renamed the Devonia and was used for school educational cruises by British India  - I went on a school trip to Norway on that same ship! I will try and pop in to see you and Barbara in the next few days. Dave

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 08:00:55 PM »

Glad to see you back 602.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 08:54:19 PM »

Musings have been missed.
Welcome back.  :tiphat

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 12:48:49 PM »

Hi,

Thankyou, I'm touched.

During my spell at DVLC, I was in charge of a Data Input team ... three sub teams of 21 data input ladies, each controlled by an SDP ... all under the watchful eye of the team's CPU, that reported their every move. I tried to be gentle with them. My boss (an HEO) told me that my girls were laughing at me, and I should clamp down on them.

Come time to move onto pastures new (Drivers Medical Enforcement), and the Moment of Presentation, Barbara's voice said "Hullo Darling!". I looked up from my "Stats", to find my corner of the tower block was crammed full of "ladies of child bearing age". I reckon my team had recruited support from the other three teams on that floor. Perhaps, close on 300 assorted ladies.

As far as I was concerned, they could laugh as much as they liked.

:tiphat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 19 queries.