S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 602's missiles  (Read 698 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
602's missiles
« on: March 07, 2023, 11:22:01 AM »

They are going to turn RAF West Raynham (just up the road from us) into a Cold War heritage centre.

Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: 602's missiles
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 12:31:01 PM »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the picture.

I read recently that the Bloodhounds accelerate from zero to the speed of sound (760mph at sea level?) in 2 seconds.

My understanding, which may be flawed, is that the launch is rocket propelled, with the rockets building up power until the shear pins give way. Once "mobile", and "up to speed", the rockets are "abandoned", and propulsion is taken over by RAM JETS, which I assume are a little more refined than Hitler's V1 "DOODLEBUGS". (You only had to hear one coming, too know where they got than name.)

One day, Dad yelled at me to come out of the Anderson shelter, to watch a Doodlebug come down, vertically, after hitting a "barrage balloon cable".

Question? What is the purpose of a Barrage Balloon?

Answer! To hold the steel cable up in the air!

PS. Did you hear about the Irish Kamikazi pilot? He flew three successful missions.

PPS. Alan, may I re-recount what my father did in the war, pretty please?

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 01:22:33 PM »

Just found this on Wikipedia....

The acceleration of the Mk. II can be gauged from the data on an information board at the Bristol Aeroplane Company Museum at Kemble Airfield, Kemble, Gloucestershire, where a complete Bloodhound can be seen. The Mark of Bloodhound this data refers to is not given but is presumably the Mark II since the top speed of the Mk. I is Mach 2.2: "By the time the missile has just cleared the launcher it is doing 400 mph. By the time the missile is 25 feet from the launcher it has reached the speed of sound (around 720 mph). Three seconds after launch, as the four boost rockets fall away, it has reached Mach 2.5 which is roughly 1,800 mph"

Pretty impressive stuff

Craig.

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 06:53:55 PM »

We very nearly bought a house on the old RAF base at West Raynham when they were being sold off in 2008 but ended up getting a wreck of an old flint cottage near Holt instead.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 01:56:26 PM »

"Tonka" served with 39 (Heavy) Air Defence Regt, Royal Artillery, which was BAORs long range Air Defence using Thunderbird missiles, made by English Electric. Visually similar and sharing some electronic components Thunderbird was smaller and more mobile than the Bristol Aeroplane made Bloodhound....

The Thunderbird here appears to be crewed by Cadets, but maybe I'm just getting old.

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Ph0en1x_Uk

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 02:18:37 PM »

Awesome bit of kit.

We studied the aerodyanics of these at university many years ago.

From wikipedia.
A ramjet, or athodyd (aero thermodynamic duct), is a form of airbreathing jet engine that uses the forward motion of the engine to produce thrust. Since it produces no thrust when stationary (no ram air) ramjet-powered vehicles require an assisted take-off like a rocket assist to accelerate it to a speed where it begins to produce thrust. Ramjets work most efficiently at supersonic speeds around Mach 3 (2,300 mph; 3,700 km/h) and can operate up to speeds of Mach 6 (4,600 mph; 7,400 km/h).

And more importantly, from NASA.
Thrust is the force which moves any aircraft through the air. Thrust is generated by the propulsion system of the aircraft. Different propulsion systems develop thrust in different ways, but all thrust is generated through some application of Newton's third law of motion. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In any propulsion system, a working fluid is accelerated by the system and the reaction to this acceleration produces a force on the system. A general derivation of the thrust equation shows that the amount of thrust generated depends on the mass flow through the engine and the exit velocity of the gas. Engineers use a thermodynamic analysis of the ramjet to predict thrust and fuel flow for a particular design.

In the early 1900's some of the original ideas concerning ramjet propulsion were first developed in Europe. Thrust is produced by passing the hot exhaust from the combustion of a fuel through a nozzle. The nozzle accelerates the flow, and the reaction to this acceleration produces thrust. To maintain the flow through the nozzle, the combustion must occur at a pressure that is higher than the pressure at the nozzle exit. In a ramjet, the high pressure is produced by "ramming" external air into the combustor using the forward speed of the vehicle. The external air that is brought into the propulsion system becomes the working fluid, much like a turbojet engine. In a turbojet engine, the high pressure in the combustor is generated by a piece of machinery called a compressor. But there are no compressors in a ramjet. Therefore, ramjets are lighter and simpler than a turbojet. Ramjets produce thrust only when the vehicle is already moving; ramjets cannot produce thrust when the engine is stationary or static. Since a ramjet cannot produce static thrust, some other propulsion system must be used to accelerate the vehicle to a speed where the ramjet begins to produce thrust. The higher the speed of the vehicle, the better a ramjet works until aerodynamic losses become a dominant factor.

The combustion that produces thrust in the ramjet occurs at a subsonic speed in the combustor. For a vehicle traveling supersonically, the air entering the engine must be slowed to subsonic speeds by the aircraft inlet. Shock waves present in the inlet cause performance losses for the propulsion system. Above Mach 5, ramjet propulsion becomes very inefficient. The new supersonic combustion ramjet, or scramjet, solves this problem by performing the combustion supersonically in the burner.

If you want to read about something modern, and some truely amazing British Engineering, then look up Reaction Engines in Oxfordshire and read about their SABRE Engine & Pre cooler.

It's the future.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 02:25:55 PM »

We have a Skylark rocket in the stairwell where I work.

Not a missile as such but a 1950's experimental high altitude experiment sounding rocket. Our one is split into three bits in order to get it into the building but I always fancied taking it outside one day and assembling it again.
They were launched in Australia and crash landed again not too far away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylark_(rocket)

Craig.

Ph0en1x_Uk

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 03:06:38 PM »

:first - Very cool!

We'll be talking Black Arrow next!!

Blue Steel & ALARM are my personal favourites.

Why they took ALARM out of service is beyond me.  :thud

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 10:27:19 AM »

Does Alan’s news mean that the Bloodhound missile that stands by the entrance to the  radar museum at RAF Neatishead is moving to West Raynham?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.