S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW much?  (Read 1498 times)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
Re: HOW much?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 08:35:23 PM »

Not much of an achievement in 60 years when a Downton tuned 1275S could do it sub 10 seconds with a smaller capacity engine and using SU carburettors and no turbo or superchargers or electronic aids were used, just sheer skill in cylinder head gas flowing etc and the right camshafts. Downton tuned an 85O Mini and it achieved 108 mph prompting BMC to build Mini Coopers of varying capacity (970, 997, 998, 1071 & 1275cc). The short stroke engine from the 970 was used in Formula Junior racing cars.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Phil2014

• Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4721
  • .:
  • Borders area rep
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2023, 09:06:55 PM »

What do you think it should do it in, half a second?

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2023, 09:23:26 PM »

No, but the 0 to 60 time is always a measure of performance and is greatly relied on but there is are other factors not quoted now  one being 30 to 50 in top gear, a measure of engine flexibility and only 4 forward gears were used now it's 6 even on the last Defenders when we Series drivers had only 4 gears to play with.
Some years ago I drove a Mercedes Sprinter which had a turbo fault. There was no torque below 3,000 rpm, unusual for a diesel and at 4,000 rpm the governors cut in so  I had a useful power band of 1,000 rpm. When the turbo was fixed normal service was resumed.

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2023, 11:38:54 AM »

Surely the limiting factor on 0-60 time is the ability of the tyre to grip the road?

Back on topic I can't see that 602's antics would cause the clutch to fail. Its a fairly standard procedure to test for clutch slip to stamp on the accelerator and also to back off.

9,000 miles on a set of tyres seems poor to me.
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2023, 11:43:09 AM »

Very poor ^^^ tyre life.

Are these cars known to be heavy on tyre wear or is it how they are driven ???

You can search the internet to see if this model of car has been prone to clutch failure and what the tyre wear is like.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2023, 09:29:52 PM »

No, but the 0 to 60 time is always a measure of performance and is greatly relied on but there is are other factors not quoted now  one being 30 to 50 in top gear, a measure of engine flexibility and only 4 forward gears were used now it's 6 even on the last Defenders when we Series drivers had only 4 gears to play with.
Some years ago I drove a Mercedes Sprinter which had a turbo fault. There was no torque below 3,000 rpm, unusual for a diesel and at 4,000 rpm the governors cut in so  I had a useful power band of 1,000 rpm. When the turbo was fixed normal service was resumed.
Recall when we first got the Sprinters.  :RHD Gave many a boy racer a surprise at the lights I can tell you !  :tiphat

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2023, 09:52:04 PM »

Hi,

Somebody mentioned clutch plates not being WARRANTABLE (or whatever the word is). My own understanding all that means is that they will not pay for a replacement without a fight.

Any friction surface is regarded as a service item and in itself, is not covered by an OEM warranty. If the friction surface has been contaminated by failure of a second item, then the casual part should be covered under warranty and any consequential damage will also be covered. Think hub oil seal failure contaminating brake shoes / pads or a rear main seal contaminating a clutch plate as examples. You should also remember that pretty much all manufacturers provide a goodwill fund for warranty. Usually this is administered at the dealer's discretion, which is why its always worth being friendly and affable when dealing with any dealer conflict unless you have exhausted all other options.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2023, 06:12:05 PM »

Hi,

The young man in the Main Dealers "front office" was quite scathing about the way he thought I drove. Yes, I often exit roundabout with the front tyres making interesting noises, and that includes the day before the clutch started slipping ... badly enough to slip under gentle acceleration.

I do not drive with my foot on the pedal, and I do not slip the clutch, to get fast acceleration from a standstill, as there is no need ... once moving, it responds very well to the loud pedal.

The car had a main dealer service, the previous week. I wonder if that include adjusting the clutch free play? Academic now! I did ask to see the clutch plate, but it had gone into the scrap bin. Oh well, they won't sell me another Hyundai ... it will probably be a KIA next time, at least I can pronounce that (See ads on TV!)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.