S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ex Scottish Coast Guard 88”?  (Read 3515 times)

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
Re: Ex Scottish Coast Guard 88”?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »

Brilliant, what book?

Its landrover the incomparable 4x4, doesnt look too easy to get hold of unfortunately.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

twomokes

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 13
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 09:20:53 PM »

Brilliant, what book?

As Dan says The Incomparable 4x4 by Paul Woods. I think I saw a copy on Abe Books website a few weeks ago.  Alternatively the library holds the negative for the image and could supply a copy, now whilst the version in the book is black and white it could be possible the negative is a colour one, I don't know but it may be worth asking. PM me if you want their contact details.
Res tam malae sunt quam putas, et inimici re vera te persequuntur

"quotEducatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis"quot

Member No13

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6230
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 08:14:53 AM »

Managed to get one on Amazon.  :first

Land Rover: The Incomparable 4x4 from Series 1 to Defender (Ludvigsen Library) (Ludvigsen Library Series)
More information:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1583881794/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_.mEZFb11Y3JTJ
1970 88" Petrol Hard Top - Undergoing Practical Rebuild.
Ex-pat Geordie living in Norfolk.

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »

Have PM'd you re the postal order.
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1943
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 08:41:10 PM »

If it helps, I will ask around our team because we definitely have pictures of our old S3, and someone in our team I know has a few pics of our old 2a.

Our S3 didn't have a yellow bonnet, we didn't get one of those until our Defender. Future Mrs Gatekrash stood by the driver's door...

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 09:11:28 PM »

A quick google shows some did indeed have yellow bonnets.

That second picture is a "restoration" that someone's had a go at by picking up pictures of CG 90's or Defenders. We didn't get the small side battenburgs until the 1990's (our D-reg 90 didn't look much different from the S2a's / S3 paint jobs), the light bar is a premier hazard one and it should have been a single beacon on a S3, and there are a couple of other bits that aren't right.

scottuh ref the yellow bonnet, although we didn't get a yellow bonnet on our vehicle until our 1996 Defender, it could depend on how long the vehicle remained in service for. Even if it was originally delivered with a blue one, Coastguard Landies tended to remain in service for a long time, as they generally cover quite low mileage, so it could well have been either repainted or even completely replaced as manxcat stated above. The bonnet would have been a great flat surface for dropping things on when using the front winch on cliff operations, so I wouldn't have been surprised if it's been dinged and bashed over its time in service. It almost certainly would have been delivered with a bonnet mounted spare, I don't know of any of the CG Series vehicles that didn't have one.

The number plate could have come from any part of the UK as you've discovered. We used to buy in vehicles in bulk and they got allocated all over the place, often a vehicle from one place would be re-allocated to another station if it was deemed to be necessary. For example, our old Defender got moved on to another station when we got allocated an L200, as it was still newer than their vehicle but their station was too small to garage anything bigger than a Landy.
Nowadays the vehicles are all sourced from a lease company and sent back there when released from service. For a short time we even got to pick the letters - you will find a lot of (ex) Coastguard Defenders running around with *CG suffixes.

Unfortunately gone are the days of CG Landy's. they deemed them unsuitable a few years ago due to lack of airbags etc and as far as I know there are now less than a handfull in the organisation.

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 09:33:35 PM »

If it helps, I will ask around our team because we definitely have pictures of our old S3, and someone in our team I know has a few pics of our old 2a.

Our S3 didn't have a yellow bonnet, we didn't get one of those until our Defender. Future Mrs Gatekrash stood by the driver's door...

Great photo Gatekrash and thanks for the info. Any more info from your contacts would be appreciated. Thanks again. Scott.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 10:03:06 PM »

Found this photo in a James Taylor book today.

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 10:21:03 PM »

Interestingly no capstan winch on it. Although if it was stationed at a mud or search only team and not a cliff team then I guess it wouldn't have been required and therefore not fitted.

Our 2a was an "H" plated one as well.

Another s3 pic from a contact on another team, some of the kit laid out.

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2020, 12:05:18 PM »

As Dan says The Incomparable 4x4 by Paul Woods. I think I saw a copy on Abe Books website a few weeks ago.  Alternatively the library holds the negative for the image and could supply a copy, now whilst the version in the book is black and white it could be possible the negative is a colour one, I don't know but it may be worth asking. PM me if you want their contact details.

Apparently The Ludvigsen Library has been sold to Collier Collection/Revs Institute. I’ve searched through their archive but can’t find the image on page 60 of the book.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »

I got the book, lots of great photos, but sadly the captions are riddled with errors. The author seems to have little more than a general understanding of Land Rovers, for example he seems to think lamps in grille = series II, lamps in wings = Series IIA, and other little oversights...although written in 2006 they claim HUE166 is the first *production* Land-Rover, an idea I thought went out the of the window decades ago!

scottuh1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »

Hi Folks,

First of all Merry Christmas!  :xmas_wreath :wine3

I have the Heritage Certificate from BMIHT.

All as expected apart from:

3. Engine Number: Not Recorded.
9. Destination (Dealer): Board of Trade, Belfast Airport.

Can anyone suggest why it would have gone to NI with a UK mainland reg? And why did Land Rover not record engines numbers?

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 02:36:31 PM »

Land Rover never recorded engine numbers or any other component numbers. Exceptions were factory registered vehicles which were logged in a big book and sometimes had the engine number recorded.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 03:30:14 PM »

Land Rover never recorded engine numbers or any other component numbers. Exceptions were factory registered vehicles which were logged in a big book and sometimes had the engine number recorded.
I know I scored a result on a Series 1 once...
I was asked to get the original factory records for a 1949 Series 1 80" station wagon as part of a total restoration in about 1995. John Riley at LR Traceability pulled out all the stops and came back with:
Build order number
All major unit numbers (chassis, engine, gearbox and axles)
Key numbers
Destination dealer
Despatch date
I'm pretty sure he was even were able to confirm the build colour as well.

I remember being a bit smug given that a colleague at the time had an almost new XR3i and Ford didn't even have the key number stored in their records.

I know some record keeping was poor, but at Solihull (certainly during my time and obviously far more now) every component has / had some form of traceability. I wonder if something got lost in the transfer of records from original Solihull build information to the Gaydon BMH records? It does seem as though there are some glaring gaps in what data is available now compared to what we were able to pull 20+ years ago.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 1.091 seconds with 23 queries.