S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle Database project and service  (Read 1798 times)

Mycroft

Re: Vehicle Database project and service
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 10:36:59 PM »

Great stuff Andy - look forward to getting.

Loving all the engagement folks - keep sending 'em in. I'm looking to add links on the main members' section and will further roll it out once we've got that up and running.

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 08:53:33 AM »

I'm not entirely clear on the semantic difference between 'database' and 'spreadsheet', Alex, but to my mind it's database stored on a spreadsheet  ???

without wishing to appear more of an *&%^$ than normal :)

The main technical difference between a spreadsheet and a database comes down to the way they store data. In a spreadsheet, data is stored in a cell, and can be formatted, edited, and manipulated within that cell.
In a database, cells contain records that come from external tables. This differentiation means that spreadsheets are static documents, while databases can be relational. That means if you upload, edit, or delete a piece of data in one place, the change will be made in every other place that references that data.

From memory, the spreadsheet was searchable, but the data wasn't interrelative, but would still be a great asset for the CLub, even if it was printed in list form as Paul Bohan's 1958 register is
Paul's is also readily available

Any reason why, in the interim, it couldn't be printed as a PDF ? 
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

Mycroft

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 10:02:49 AM »

That's not a definition of a database that I'm familiar with. In my line of work (which used both extensively), a database is a more static collection of data with little manipulation. To me it's a database, but you're free to call it what you will.

This information, as you probably know, was collected over many years and stored, updated and cared for by our Vehicles Registration Officer, with much of it having been bequeathed privately to him and therefore not Club property. He has never been willing to share the information publicly for many reasons that are entirely valid, around security, privacy, GDPR compliance, potential misuse of/creation of conflicting data and so on. With a great deal of thought and work put into ensuring that the original information does not get polluted and that individual members are given access on a GDPR respecting, single vehicle basis, it has been agreed that we can provide this information - something that some members have been trying to achieve for many years - including during your time as Chairman Alex. I'm sorry it's not everything you might wish, but it's still better than anything that has previously been possible and so far, we've been able to add members' data and confirm likely dates of build and other information that they have found useful.

If you have further concerns, could you address them to the board directly, rather than troll what was supposed to be good news and a helpful new service? Thank you.

The Beast 233

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 12:30:52 PM »

Let me clarify the origins of the clubs vehicle database.

I started the vehicle database as the clubs “Historical Records Officer” in August 1999. It consisted of 12 separate Excel spreadsheets, one for each chassis number sequence and one for the bitza’s. Each spreadsheet was fully searchable.

A vehicle information form was completed by the vehicle owner and posted on to me. At the the club Directors instructions the form included the following statement “No personal details will be disclosed without your prior permission”. This statement caused many arguments during this time but I was adamant that we must adhere to it. The constant requests from Club Area Representatives to make the information public caused me to resign from this post in January 2009.

When I resigned and passed all the information over to the club it contained 1,729 vehicles details and 1,182 vehicle Photographs.

Boxoftricks

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8327
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2023, 02:09:46 PM »

Hi,

From a new series owner perspective this initiative sounds fantastic.   For a Series 2a novice (2 days ownership) do you have a quick reference guide to the location of all required details? If not I'm sure Google will get me there.

Thx
J

Mycroft

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2023, 03:11:28 PM »

Hi,

From a new series owner perspective this initiative sounds fantastic.   For a Series 2a novice (2 days ownership) do you have a quick reference guide to the location of all required details? If not I'm sure Google will get me there.

Thx
J

Yes indeed - or at least the main bits. If you check out the main Vehicle Database site, you'll see descriptions of how to find your chassis and engine numbers, along with photos (link below). Otherwise, as you suggest, google has descriptions and helpful photos aplenty.

https://www.series2club.co.uk/members_pages/VDO.php?Sentry_loginTkn=BKNisv27cjtd8dppssmp

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2023, 04:07:09 PM »

Over the years the differences between databases and spreadsheets has become very blurred, if I go back 30 plus years to when I first started teaching IT in the days when microsoft packages such as access didnt exist.  Databsaes were "flat" that is tables , spreadsheets were also, the difference being that a database was searcheable but not able to do calculations, a spreadshwas also a flat table , not searcheable but able to do calculations.  Modern packages such as microsoft Access and Excel are both able to perform both these functions plus many others..

It would be wrong therefore to say that a set of data that is manipulated by a package like Excel is  a spreadsheet not a database or a set of data manipulated by MS Access is a database not a spreadsheet, especially since you can transfer data between both these packages.

Old definitions oof spreadsheet and databse are therefore redundant.  What we do have is a dataset and we use Excel to manipulate it.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 05:11:03 AM »

Hi,

Two thoughts, from just a few minutes ago ....

1. The ideal site for all this information would tabulated on the V5 Registration Document.

2. How could the Authorities use all that information? Possibly against the enthusiasts? And would they want to ... and why? Power?

It is when a man has authority, that you learn his true nature.

PS, When we were stationed at RAAF Butterworth, I bought a tidy but seized Citroen Light 15 for £15 (M$ equiv.) from a Ozzy who was returning home. Only then did I find out that I had to provide provenance of the unregistered owners, with the insurance details of each. That car was last seen, on the back of a RAAF lorry, heading for the Station scrap yard.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.