S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine price  (Read 2753 times)

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6599
  • .:
Engine price
« on: November 10, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »

Evening all, my old girl has a series 3 engine which is getting close to a rebuild, im thinking i would like to put a series 2 engine back in her if i can find one at the right price, so what sort of price should i have to pay for a complete engine which is untested.
phil.

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
Re: Engine price
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:30:23 AM »

That one on eBay has been knocking around for months with no takers.

I bought a June 61 2-1/4 petrol in the spring for £200 untested but basically complete and turning over.

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 07:18:47 AM »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, £800 ouch, what i neglected to say is she is a 66 2a swb.
phil. 

Gareth

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6172
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »

I locally found a J suffix 2a petrol engine, virtually complete, stored under a tarp in someone’s garden. I got it for £250. It wasn’t seized and it had compression, that’s all I knew.

Hopefully doing first start after full rebuild this afternoon!

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 07:57:22 AM »

Diesel or petrol? Not much about at the moment but there was someone a few months back selling a batch of diesel engines on eBay at £150 each. Petrol seems to be asking a bit more - typically £250. May be worth asking the usual suspects on EBay what they have.

If you want something reasonably close to original and aren’t in a rush then you would want a suffix G for a build date up to April and a suffix H for later in the year.

Alec

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »

Thanks Alec, thats something else i forgot petrol, not to bothered about suffix being correct as she is far from it anyway, just thought if i need to do a rebuild why not do a 2a and have it ready to go in.
phil.

2DieselMan

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4082
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »

Asking £800 for a Early 2 1/4 Litre Petrol I would say is cheap!..... Joke!

If you want to see an expensive engine someone on Ebay is asking £2,995..... Yess £3k for a Non Running, Non complete, Non Rebuild late 61 Series 2 - 2 Litre Diesel engine!  It is listed as a Series 1 engine and it is actually late 61 Series 2.    I thought that there was one to many Zero's.......but no the price is serious.......... But he will take £2,500!

auction: #133162623892

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 11:01:12 AM »

Series 3 engine (engine numbers 9??*****) - why not just buy a Series 2/2A rocker cover ???

Other than the plastic orange oil filler cap the engines are pretty much the same.

Over 50/60 years the engines wear or breakdown and many owners will have "upgraded" to a newer Series 3 version.
No big deal unless you want a rivet counting as-it-left-the-factory-special.

Buying an engine off eBay is very much buying a pig-in-a-poke.
You have no idea or any guarantee of what you are buying.
 :-\ You can not trust what the seller says about it.

Much better if you can see/hear/drive the engine in question, before removing it from the vehicle.

If the aim here is to buy a decent engine as a long term investment/keeper, then buy cheap and get it off to one of the recognised engine re-builders and pay £2500 ish to have it made good.
If you buy an engine from between £50 to £2500 you may still have to spend £2500 to make it good.

:RHD

Who's a then ?

100+9

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 11:24:16 AM »

Wittsend has it right. A 2.25 in any flavour is not rare, however you will be very lucky to source a good one. Better to buy a dog knowing it's a dog and rebuild it. £200-250 should find a contestant. If you do this yourself, a lash-up rebuild will still cost £5-700 in machining and the barest parts bill. You're in for £1000ish somewhere. Replace everything puts you at nearer £15-1600.

What you pay for your 'core', because your core is so very common becomes the cheap bit. Get it rebuilt by the usual suspects, and the bill doubles again. The thing is, the rebuild cost will be much the same whichever flavour you opt into. The 'core' is the cheap bit.

If you want to know what your final bill will be, the real question is which engine do I want to start with before I spend £700-2000ish rebuilding it? If you're not after an anorak-correct finsih, I'd look to later more grunty 5MB lumps, but that's me. And you'd be into £5-700 for one.

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »

Thank you wittsend as usual wise words and thank you 100+9, i was thinking if i could get one for right price i would get it rebuilt and then when done one out and one in so very little down time, but i do realize the money would be best spent on the engine i have.
phil.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:49:34 PM »

If you want to see an expensive engine someone on Ebay is asking £2,995..... Yess £3k for a Non Running, Non complete, Non Rebuild late 61 Series 2 - 2 Litre Diesel engine!  It is listed as a Series 1 engine and it is actually late 61 Series 2.    I thought that there was one to many Zero's.......but no the price is serious.......... But he will take £2,500!

auction: #133162623892

That ^ eBay seller is a joke.

I notice he is called "treasuredivers". That makes perfect sense, because to many people the 2 litre diesel engine is only useful as a boat anchor!

And I should know, I have six of them..........
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 08:29:08 AM »

That ^ eBay seller is a joke.

I notice he is called "treasuredivers". That makes perfect sense, because to many people the 2 litre diesel engine is only useful as a boat anchor!

And I should know, I have six of them..........

I notice that the seller also thinks it's only good for a boat anchor.  If you click on his 'see other items' tab he is selling a mooring rope!

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.