S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land rover trip to local recycling (dump) center  (Read 1808 times)

Marky Harvey

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5710
  • .:
Re: Land rover trip to local recycling (dump) center
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2023, 06:06:10 PM »

The whole thing is a farce. The purpose is to stop disposal of commercial waste in recycling centres. Plenty of people own pickups as private vehicles these days and trying to apply M1/N1 rules to a 60 year old Land Rover is just jobsworth nit picking. I haven't been to a centre round here yet with a Land Rover, but when I was near Godalming, the centre staff never queried it - even when I turned up several times in a client's 110 Hard Top which is clearly a commercial vehicle (borrowed specifically for the job I might add).

The problem is that unless you are lucky, like I have been with SITA at Godalming, the jobsworths seem to err on the side of caution and now know that people are less likely to get stroppy about it given that many staff now carry body worn cameras.

As per dartymoor's comment - it is a service we are paying for and the arrogance defeats me. I tend to find though that if you treat them with a degree of courtesy and respect, it goes a long way to getting past all that baloney.

The sort of people who try and push commercial waste through a residential recycling facility are probably the same low life who will happily fly tip it anyway, so the whole argument is pointless.

Reading these posts, just goes to prove that it is open to common sense, interpretation of the rules and where you live. There is clearly no common standard.

I doubt you'll have any problems at your new local tip. Whilst I thought that the rules were determined by the council, I'm not sure that is the whole truth.  The tip in Marlborough has recently changed management, from Hil waste to another company. Where we used to need a permit for the trailer (if it was over a certain length), we no longer do.

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1943
  • .:
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2023, 09:39:25 AM »

For the sale of science I went to the local tip with the series and the penman with a fair load of Rhododendron.

Didn't bat an eyelid and was all fine.

I'm guessing that was a DCC / South Hams tip Rowan, not a PCC one ? And that you're running a solid sided hard top ?

Chelson Meadow won't let the S2 in when it's got the canvas on it, I've tried. But they are ok if I take the canvas off and go in with just the sticks on, as it's got seats in the back and they assume it's just a "normal" convertible.

Similarly we could take the windowed hard top 90 in without any issues, other than the jobsworth who wanted my Mrs to empty all the rubbish out so he could inspect the seats in the back (they have to be fitted else it magically turns into a van !), but as soon as we turned up in the Defender with the solid sides I needed a permit as "that's a van".

They're quite happy for us to go in with the Yeti with all the rear seats removed though, so it's really just a windowed van, never a comment.

No real consistency and depends who is on the gate - even the staff in the Council offices couldn't really give me a definitive answer about the S2 when I applied for the permit for the Defender - vehicles which you could change the back on in half an hour didn't fit into any of their categories !

Devon2a

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6996
  • .:
  • Just Leafing and Lurking
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2023, 10:54:37 AM »

West devon. which I think is run by SVEZ.

Standard rag top with no side windows just like yours.

I've been in with the 110 and that is a USW and still nothing said.  ???

Dirt Sprung Leaf Technique

Owner of

Jemima 1971 SIIA SWB Searle Safari
??????? 2014 110 USW

Can be found in YT, FB and Insta @4WDSouthWest

Gareth

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6172
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2023, 11:22:59 AM »

Stockport council tip Adswood. I have just applied for a permit for my 109. It’s been accepted and I’ve got 18 visits.

It’s a truck cab with canvas back, with seats. So I’ll let you know how I get on!

If any problems I’ll nip over the border to Cheshire where they never ask any questions.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2023, 11:25:59 AM »

For the sale of science I went to the local tip with the series and the penman with a fair load of Rhododendron.

Didn't bat an eyelid and was all fine.

Had you put the rhodis on as cammo?

The other thing that has been going on for years, is postcode checking to make sure that you qualify by residency.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2023, 09:21:53 PM »

H

Apparently, wet plasterboard leaches a mild acid, so is considered to be hazardous waste.

So lets have a go at the LA Building Control, for allowing new houses to be built with dangerous materials. Shades of Grenville Tower, but slower.

On the other hand, I HAVE READ that the gyproc (?) can sold to the plaster board manufacturers, to be used again, which cost less than digging for fresh stuff. So l wouldn't be surprised to find the dedicated skips are sold on.

My mid-19th Century cottages (pair of semis knocked into one, giving me a 22ft x 15ft kitchen, had wattle and daub interior walls. I dread to think what materials went into the daub, but I understand that the later extension on one end was used as a milking parlour, way back when.

PS, My recent absence was due to me spending time on my builder's suggestion to knock a hole in the present bathroom window wall, and build a link across the side alley, into my mean, but brick build with proper concrete tiles, little garage. That would join the existing bathroom (now without a bath, but with wheel-chair compatibility)..... Porcelain throne plus bidet and gentleman's scatter-can ... the latter to cut down the metered water bill, bath, wheel chair accessible shower, hand basin, etc. Hopefully, when the time comes, a suitably disabled buyer buyer will be willing to exchange it for his RTA compensation. A recent edition of DIY-SOS actually fitted out a room for kidney dialysis (a Google search suggests they are not dreadfully expensive). But in the meantime, my plan is to use the other half of the garage as a man cave.

I can park three cars in the drive, and three across the front of the house, and there is room for a 22ft caravan, or a longer boat (40ft-ish), in my newly fenced "secret" garden. I feel a heated row coming on, with my builder, when I tell him I want his bespoke 6ft wide double gates into the secret garden, replaced with gates that can accommodate a big motor home. (Not for me). Insurers are reluctant to insure motor homes that are not stored behind locked gates, and commercial camper storage is very expensive.

PS. Question ... how wide are big camper vans.

Both Gibbo and Taz have made appreciative noises when they saw my secret garden.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »

"Apparently, wet plasterboard leaches a mild acid, so is considered to be hazardous waste."

I watched a programme once that showed how it was made and it features or did feature capture emissions from power stations so most likely sulphur inclusion?

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2023, 01:44:31 PM »

No probs in this part of the world. No charges for anything, including tyres. Last time I went there was a Transit with 4 wheel trailer in front of me went straight in.
Hence, no fly tipping, cameras, "enforcement officers", cleaners up, etc etc. Why is this not standard practice elsewhere :stars :stars

(Dont mention oversize, illegally overnighting camper vans though >:( )
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

edwardatherton

• Chassis welder
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2023, 10:07:38 AM »

For many years I've been allowed in at our local Suez (Salford) site down the road, but then a few jobsworths appeared and I was told that from now on I needed a permit.
I emailed their head office explaining that it's historic, not commercial, my only vehicle etc and got a nice email back saying that I was allowed in.  Sometimes I have to show it and all is fine.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2023, 11:38:02 AM »

For many years I've been allowed in at our local Suez (Salford) site down the road, but then a few jobsworths appeared and I was told that from now on I needed a permit.
I emailed their head office explaining that it's historic, not commercial, my only vehicle etc and got a nice email back saying that I was allowed in.  Sometimes I have to show it and all is fine.

That is encouraging and good to know.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.