S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Negotiating with owners for derelict Land Rovers  (Read 6002 times)

dpmstevens

• Chassis welder
Negotiating with owners for derelict Land Rovers
« on: February 19, 2020, 09:35:17 PM »

How would you go about approaching the owner of a derelict Land Rover to see if they'll sell?

I know of a couple of old Land Rovers in a field, which are well worth pulling out. Thing is, they belong to an old boy who's not known for his willingness to part with anything, really.

I've often encountered "I'm going to put that back on the road for my grand daughter/to tow my boat with/go round the world in", while we look at the disintegrating remains of a Land Rover with a tree growing out of the cab, and it would be a real shame for these ones to be left much longer.

Anyone got any tips for negotiating in these situations or any real-life success stories?

Cheers
Dan

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:
Re: Negotiating with owners for derelict Land Rovers
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 09:44:37 PM »

The only advise I can offer, for what it is worth, is that nowadays, the chances of getting a "wreck" back on the road, legitimately, without paperwork (V5 or evidence of registration) is poor.
Always best to seek advice (confidential) from our VRO before committing to anything - if you have visions of putting such a find back on the road
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 09:45:26 PM »

Isn't the problem that they think they are sat on a goldmine, but we know that perhaps they are not?
Tim

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 09:50:12 PM »

Isn't the problem that they think they are sat on a goldmine, but we know that perhaps they are not?

Quite so ... their delusion is hard-wired into their brains.
Often associated with the squirrel (hoarding) gene  :shakeinghead

Best way is to wait for them to die...

It's a real shame, loads of "projects" have literally rotted away  :'(

:RHD
Who's a then ?

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »

Quite so ... their delusion is hard-wired into their brains.
Often associated with the squirrel (hoarding) gene 

I don't hoard squirrels!

gene :tiphat

PO was asking $3000 for 109, I came and offered $800 and left. He called later and took the $800 on SWMBO's recommendation.

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 08:01:07 AM »

As Gene says,  the only thing you can do is find the owner and make what you consider a fair offer.  After that it's down the them.

Unfortunately common sense doesn't always pan out,  I've made offers on early 90's and 110's that I know later got dragged off for scrap.   :thud

If you're lucky you can catch it and make the scrap man's day!  :whistle

Scimike

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1579
  • Oh no, not again
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 08:26:22 AM »

Not always.
The other side is that the vehicle has personal memories associated with it, they want to keep it for this reason and it's priceless to them, but may not be in a position to keep it in good order.
If they think it's a gold mine you can purchase it if you offer enough ££££, if it's has a personal attachment then no amount of ££££ will get it from them.
Watching American pickers or similar is the only training video I can recommend for purchasing from squirrels :-X

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 09:02:34 AM »

while we look at the disintegrating remains of a Land Rover with a tree growing out of the cab,

Hi,

That reminds me of a cartoon I saw in a magazine many yoncs ago....

Two old codgers peering of a hedge at what was obviously then very first Land Rover ... the one with the external body frame.

One old codger is saying ... " A conflict of interest there! That tree is a protected species!"

I'd love a copy of that cartoon ... it's worth framing.  Who? Where? When?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 09:29:21 AM »

We paid over the odds for YOD when it came up for sale on ebay after the son of our friend the original owner sold it with a load of other lr related stuff.  The buyer thought it was something that it wasn't  but it had a lot of history  and
Emotional connections with our family and it was worth it to us.  It was though in a bit of a state and just 1 step up from a barn find.  I recently took it back to the farm where our friends son lives and he was delighted that it had been put back on the road and by friends, he could though have offered it to us  when his dad diesd

We have several land rovers that have been in our family for over 50 years and we will never willingly part with them.

I have been asked to YOD a few times, my answer is usually  that they cNt afford it  or I name a silly price
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »

Also consider that often you won't be the first to have approached the owner, and it's likely he's so tired of being offered peanuts by chancers that he's possibly unwilling to really listen.

Are you prepared to offer a realistic amount based on what the vehicles in question are? and would you intend keeping and restoring them, or be looking to sell on for a quick profit?.

Let's say they are worth £1500 each, turning up with the cash might just show you're genuine.

Bemm52

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6372
  • .:
  • 1966 2A 88" Quids or Dollars?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »

I heard through the grape vine...our postman, of a 109 that a farmer wanted gone from his property so of course I followed the lead up
Result a restorable 1970 2a which I came back and trailered out
While I was there I spotted a what turned out to be 1964 2a when I questioned him about this vehicle he said it was his wife’s that she had driven to Cape York on a painting expedition twenty years ago and he doubted she would let it go as she loved it (under a tree rusting away)
My 84 year old ex car salesman mate said drive out in my refurbed 2a 88 to show I was fair dinkum which I did
After reassuring her I wouldn’t scrap her car for parts but wanted to get it back on the road she gave it to me
I bump into her occasionally in town and she has been out to check on my progress......down side is I am sinking a fair bit of cash into these two vehicles but morally I couldn’t really sell them cos now I’m now in the emotional loop getting them for nix and all
Be careful what you wish for

Cheers Paul
Cheers Paul

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »

You have to weigh things up ... literally.

What's a SWB or LWB model worth as scrap ???

That's your starting point.
Then you have find out the cost of recovering it and transporting to your home/workshop place.
Then add in the cost of a new chassis.
Then add in the cost of a "new" engine or refurbishing the engine.

Make your offer of scrap value plus a bit extra for a drink....
Some of these "owners" still think the number plate is worth something (thousands of £s)  :shakeinghead
Those days are long since gone.

Depends what you want...

1) looking for a viable project
2) chancer looking to make a quick buck

???

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »

There is an inverse proportion between the number of wreaks on a piece of land and the likelihood of being able to buy one. They say you can tell how long a family has owned a piece of land by how many old cars there are on it. 

rmgosling

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5787
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »

If you have some time and a little spare cash have a read of this:

Very good book about negotiating.  It takes courage to use some of the techniques.

Cheers,
1969 S11a SWB - The Sister
1982 S3 SWB West Kirby Fire Engine - Red

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »

Does the rule about number plates still stand that says, you can't transfer a number plate from a vehicle unless that vehicle has a valid MOT and is taxed?

When I was getting my Cobra painted many years ago, the company was rebuilding a Fiat Panda from piles of rust all because the owner wanted the number plate. They bought the wreck then proceeded to try and change the number plate but the DVLA got wise and asked to see the vehicle and pointed out the above rule. The only way to get that plate was to have a £10k restoration done on the car with the DVLA watching every move...

If they do say the number plate is worth money, might be worth mentioning that it will cost so many thousands to get it legal in order to transfer the plate.

Craig.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.