S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chemical Engineering, or Liquid Engineering.  (Read 1372 times)

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
Chemical Engineering, or Liquid Engineering.
« on: January 01, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »

As the example I'm quoting here isn't an LR I'm not sure if this should be Workshop Wisdom or Virtual Pub Meeting. If the work had been done on LR bits then WW would have got the vote.

At different times, different people in this community have advocated using 'chemicals' to clean or protect LR bits, and I've sometimes thought of compiling details in one place, so I could easily refer back if my interest ever went beyond the academic.

The linked 34 min video has no speech, but has subtitles in Russian and English.
It struck me that there was more chemical involvement in one restoration than I'd seen before, and I thought I'd bring the video, and the processes, to this audience.

Just a couple of items:
I do not recall seeing Linseed oil used as a quenching / protection medium before.
I'm not quite sure why one componant was copper coated, when the original was painted.
An interesting source of Zinc.
Several chemicals seemed to be readily available in powder form, in sachets, which made me think the use is quite common in Russia.
When they wanted 'clean' water they collected rain water, directly.
(When I want 'clean' water I use the output of the garage dehimidifier).

Anyway, I hope the Liquid Engineering has some interest for others, and that overall people find the complete video is not a waste of time, even if they have no intention of restoring a Russian motorbike.

Regards.

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
Re: Chemical Engineering, or Liquid Engineering.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 03:31:47 PM »

My metalwork teacher at secondary school in the 1960's showed us how to use linseed oil in that manner, I was  making a wrought iron door knocker at the time and it lasted 20 odd years on the door in Wales with no extra protection.

JPH

• Chassis welder
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 05:10:22 PM »

Linseed and Bee's wax  are old blacksmiths tricks.  :tiphat

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »

I've realised that I owe Turski an apology.
When I first saw the link to the video I set it aside to 'view later'.
After I did view it, and thought to comment on the particular aspects, I thought the link had come from another LR Forum, so I used this thread to 'spread the word' to a different audience.

I now realise that it was Turski who found the video, and I failed to acknowledge the source, for which I apologise.

Regards.

dpmstevens

• Chassis welder
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:51:27 PM »

This video is amazing. The guy who made it is not only a real craftsman, he's handy with a camera and knows how to show processes in a really straightforward manner. If you haven't, do watch it - you will learn something.

Citric acid is a fairly commonplace rust conversion method - I'm using it right now on a cast iron cistern - but I'd never seen the galvanising-with-scrap-battery-innards before.

Cheers
Dan

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 12:41:45 AM »

Thanks to both Turksi and Davidss for posting this. It was particularly good to see the various improvised approaches, largely based on the same chemistry as many of the more commercial products we would normally use. I do get the impression he may have used striping tape before though...

I'd never seen the galvanising-with-scrap-battery-innards before.

Cheers
Dan

It's brush electroplating with zinc. There are commercial kits available from places like Gateros but seeing it done with such basic kit was particularly interesting.

I'm not entirely sure that the 'metal shavings' which resulted in a black coating were. I suspect that one might be best not asked!

Alec
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.871 seconds with 22 queries.