S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mig gas  (Read 1828 times)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
Mig gas
« on: January 03, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »

Just purchased my first mig welder, I need advice on which gas to buy. I have been on the usual welding forums and it’s a minefield of different mixtures. I need the gas for mild steel and will be getting it from Hobbyweld as they are local to me.

alchad

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6825
  • .:
Re: Mig gas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »

Does this help?

http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/blog/mig-welding-gas/

They suggest 5% CO2.  This is also what I recently bought from my local SGS supplier.

Alchad

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 04:50:21 PM »

5% for light steel, 20% for heavy.

I only have one bottle (for MIG anyway), 5% which I use for everything from 1.2mm sheet to 6mm plate   :tiphat

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 05:12:31 PM »

Thats great, I will purchase the 5% Co2
Another couple of questions.
I have new gauges and flow gauge both marked Argon these were used on a pure Argon cylinder.  Im assuming these are ok? I don't need any different gauges as the new bottle will be a gas mixture?

Very rarely I would like to weld some stainless steel, ca I use the same gas?   

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 05:57:13 PM »

Yes, the pure Argon bottles have the same fitting as CO2 bottles, at least for standard size bottles, and the same regulator can be used.
I have a very tall CO2/Argon mix bottle which has a different fitting I had to buy specially, but the standard bottles you'll get from Hobbygas are all the same - usually.

You should really use pure argon for stainless - you can use CO2 mix (and I have), with stainless wire, but the CO2 introduces some carbon into the weld and so the weld will not be pure stainless and can rust.
You can also weld stainless with mild steel wire, but that will cause rust on the weld.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 09:28:06 AM »

I've used Hobbyweld for years.
I had the Hoobyweld 5 gas and used it for mild steel of all sizes and also did some stainless with it, all worked well and I was perfectly happy with the cylinders. My local supplier though has now changed from Hobbyweld to GasUK

https://www.gas-uk.co.uk/rent-free-gas-cylinders/welding-gas

You pay a slightly higher gas bottle deposit but the cylinders are bigger, higher pressure and the refill costs are the same. I have just swapped my Argon cylinder over and will do the Argon / Co2 mix cylinder when the current one runs out. Might be worth looking if they have a supplier close to you before making a choice.

Craig.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 10:06:20 AM »

I've used Hobbyweld for years.... My local supplier though has now changed from Hobbyweld to GasUK

https://www.gas-uk.co.uk/rent-free-gas-cylinders/welding-gas

... Might be worth looking if they have a supplier close to you before making a choice.
I know I will be looking for a new supplier when my existing contract expires, so thank you for the pointers.
I have checked both Hobbyweld and Gas-UK.
Hobbyweld have agents at 5 miles and 12 miles distant. (https://hobbyweld.co.uk/find-an-agent/)

Gas-UK only have one collection point, so not as handy. From their website Store Collection FAQ:
"We have only one Trade & Customer collection counters. The north depot is located in Haydock, St Helens (Just off the East Lancashire road between Manchester and Liverpool).".

The mixture of plural and singular is all their own work!

Regards

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 10:34:25 AM »

Check out Adams Gas as well - you might find a local outlet and they are around the same price as the others for rent free bottles (I think!).

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 11:03:25 AM »

Check out Adams Gas as well - you might find a local outlet and they are around the same price as the others for rent free bottles (I think!).
Adams Gas stockists 8 miles away I won't check prices until it's time to move.

Regards.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »

Gas-UK only have one collection point, so not as handy. From their website Store Collection FAQ:
"We have only one Trade & Customer collection counters. The north depot is located in Haydock, St Helens (Just off the East Lancashire road between Manchester and Liverpool).".

Regards

I too have had a look at the web page and as you say, can't find a distributor list. My local welding supplies shop, S.P.A Welding in Worthing are a distributor though so they must have other branches throughout the UK. I found them simply by looking for welding supplies in the local area and they happen to sell the Gas-UK one now. They were a Hobbyweld dealer and still are I think as they were quite happy to take my cylinder back and reimburse the £50 deposit I paid way back in 2013

Craig.

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 01:14:40 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I went with a Hobbyweld 5, it was a easy choice as the closest supplier was Griffiths tool hire,
I do have 2 Griffiths toolhire shops within 7 miles of where I live. Just need the MIG to be delivered tomorrow.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.