S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Clever Scam attempt  (Read 4020 times)

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Clever Scam attempt
« on: July 31, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »

As "Postal Secretary" I get all the mail from the Club's PO Box and send it on to the appropriate Club officer. As 99% of it is "Membership" related that works well...

Today, however, I got something a bit different... A high quality envelope with a two page letter and pre-printed SAE to an address in Paris, purportedly relating to the Classic Motor Show in Birmingham, asking for confirmation that the information held on file was correct for our free entry in a Trade Directory, the whole lot coming from a company registered in Costa Rica.

"Wow, we have hit the international Big Time !! " could be the initial response.... till I read a bit deeper into the literal "fine print". Had I actually ticked all the boxes, signed the form and fired it off what I'd actually have been doing was signing to agree to purchasing on-line advertising space on a website...for 1212 Euros a year for the next 3 years, invoice to follow....

Clever stuff and doubtless enough poor suckers sign and then get bullied into paying when the invoice arrives...  A step up from sending random invoices for £50 to companies in the hope they get paid...

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Re: Clever Scam attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:23:41 PM »

Scammers are getting really good.  Got one from 'PayPal' that was so good they had a hard time figuring out it was a scam and not an official email from themselves!
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »

I have a very distrusting mind and I'm always suspicious of anything sent via email/ text that I'm not expecting.
Fortunately I don't do online banking. Our landline has a call blocker that puts scammers off and prevents sequential dialling getting through.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 04:22:23 PM »

Manxcat suggests I wrap up the Argos catalogue and tape the envelope to it...

I'll certainly send it back with something in it.  A picture of a single digit perhaps.

BettyWhite

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7452
  • .:
  • Only fools think that they are wise
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 04:27:10 PM »

I get a scam email about a "failed delivery" virtually every day.

They appear to come from Royal Mail, Hermes, DHL and any other courier that you can think of.
Some are indistinguishable from genuine emails, it's only because I'm a miserable git and nobody ever sends me anything that I know that they are scams.

Be careful out there!
BW
I've given so many people a piece of my mind over the years that I haven't got much left and my give a damn was busted years ago!

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 04:41:25 PM »

I get a scam email about a "failed delivery" virtually every day.

They appear to come from Royal Mail, Hermes, DHL and any other courier that you can think of.
Some are indistinguishable from genuine emails, it's only because I'm a miserable git and nobody ever sends me anything that I know that they are scams.

Be careful out there!
BW
I go with the miserable git too.

BettyWhite

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7452
  • .:
  • Only fools think that they are wise
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »

Ouch!

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 05:49:05 PM »

I phone calls from "Susie" telling me my car warranty has expired and to push 1 to renew. :agh  My only car is my 1960 LR. :thud

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »

I phone calls from "Susie" telling me my car warranty has expired and to push 1 to renew. :agh  My only car is my 1960 LR. :thud

Seems to me 'Susie' is right!!!!
Maybe you should press 1  :agh

I had am email today from Netflix ............. apparently my (non-existant) subscription has expired and they are having trouble getting the bank to pay ........
Laugh...I nearly started!
I would just like 5 minutes in a room on my own with these people who regularly ring, text, email .......... I have a feeling they would be able to do it again - pretty difficult with broken fingers!!!

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 09:23:55 PM »

Do you ever talk to them?  I have.  They start back-peddling when I tell them I have a '63.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 09:30:20 PM »

I received a phone call from my village Garage yesterday, saying my MOT had expired.

I told them to  :skull off!

Unfortunately it WAS my village Garage. :agh

You can't win 'em all....... :thud
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

dartymoor

• Chassis welder
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 07:40:05 AM »

This sounds like the company my Mother was conned by for a charity, except that was based in Spain. It locked you into four payments for this "Global internet directory" website, each of which was around £2,000. The directory was a plain text list of companies with no SEO, literally just a file four links deep on their own website.

She came to me with it when the first large invoice came in, and I spoke to Trading Standards who were extremely knowledgeable about this company, which changed its name every year. It's possible it's the same one which now has a different country's address.

Trading Standard's advice was simply, "Chuck it in the bin, and with every subsequent letter". I kept the letters, there were about six of them in total before they gave up, all threatening legal action.

This was about ten years ago, so it's sad that it's obviously worked enough times for the model to still be around.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 10:05:19 AM »

^^^^ Its obviously worth the "brass neck" approach and being prepared to send a stream of threatening letters. It ties back to the tactics of the "private" car-parking thieves, nice honest people will pay up rather than have the worry created by official looking "demands".  At 1200 Euros per "success" they can afford a significant failure rate. In this case their "target" list is handily created for them by the event organisers publishing lists of stand attendees.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 11:24:08 AM »

Manxcat suggests I wrap up the Argos catalogue and tape the envelope to it...

I'll certainly send it back with something in it.  A picture of a single digit perhaps.

I find that is a good way of recycling empty cat food sachets. The football pools have had quite a few from me over the years.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »

I find that is a good way of recycling empty cat food sachets. The football pools have had quite a few from me over the years.

Splendid idea. TV licensing have just started harassing me again.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.