S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter cover recommendations?  (Read 2349 times)

Richard

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5937
  • .:
Re: Winter cover recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2022, 12:18:50 PM »

I have similar ones, a relatively expensive Stanley auto-storm (which I bought off Marktplaats, sort of eBay, https://www.autopyjama.com/autostorm-carcover/) and one from Every Car Covered [https://is.gd/Rh7zpl]. The first one seems to last better. There are pros (no bird, spider or tree droppings, virtually no moss), and cons of course (condensation, the "breathing" covers not excepted, a risk of "microblistering" (water included in bad spray jobs may come out as blisters in the paint), and in Land Rover size they are a bit awkward to handle. I had the Disco parked outside for quite a long time, I'm talking months, without a cover and it was covered in dirt and moss. Took me a day to get everything off. I had it parked outside with the cover on and when I took it off months later, I struggled to notice the difference with the day I parked it. Then again, another car covered with a breathable cover showed severe signs of microblistering. I think it can get moldy due to the darkness in the car under a cover. This is more of a problem with the Disco then the Series, I guess. I put a bucket with a salt lick on a tray as a dehumidifier inside, which works wonders.

Regards,
Richard

Just over a year ago I bought one of these - or very similar - off eBay.

auction: #234321459657

Has lasted well, if tied down wind shouldn't be a problem, cotton lined so shouldn't scratch the paint (as if that's a problem with a Land Rover).
Much better than just throwing a tarp over it.
1964 S2a, 1997 Disco 1, 1978 RRC

Scimike

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1579
  • Oh no, not again
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2022, 02:30:23 PM »

Put one of these up with a friend a few years ago. It's lasting great and only required a few concrete pads to bolt it down. Looks good also which keeps the neighbours happy.
https://www.gardenstreet.co.uk/garden-buildings-structures-c13/carports-c115/kingston-curved-carport-10x16-p8406

As an aside I keep my vintage caravan under a custom made cover and would not be without it over winter. It's breathable so no damp problems and it comes out in summer with no damage. It's made by Protec, cost about £300 and worth every penny I paid. Some of these companies makes classic car covers, or if you take the vehicle to them would measure it up. If I required a cover this is the route I would go.

Bit of a convert myself, as past tarpaulins or cheap universal covers have never worked. The higher end custom made covers do, but you need to fork out for the pleasure.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2022, 03:46:22 PM »

I'm wanting this thread as I need to do some work on 2 series and need a shelter of some sort.
Today I noticed this which looked easier to put up/take down than some ideas (or in this case just fold back to a wall/fence and leave out)
More than I wanted to pay :shakeinghead but seems a good idea and worth looking for others of this type
auction: #165546856274

(Sorry if this has been said above and I missed it)

Edit-
and cheaper
auction: #234008184132

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »

Just be aware that the implacable enemy of any soft cover, is wind.

Strong wind especially.

Your plans should include thoughts on dealing with this.

Or it will deal with you! :agh
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2022, 05:02:19 PM »

Just be aware that the implacable enemy of any soft cover, is wind.

Strong wind especially.

Your plans should include thoughts on dealing with this.

Or it will deal with you! :agh
Very True, I was thinking the back end to a fence/wall and when wind is due fold ot back to the wall and strap it back to the wall which would be a lot quicker to do than take down and pack away one of those Clarke metal framed garages, I think......

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2022, 08:31:51 AM »

Still thinking and taking on board what everyone has said :stars
Now just wondering if one of these would stand up to high winds and perhaps when working on the Land Rover fabric side/s could be hung but easy to remove when the wind comes up
auction: #363760541258

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2022, 12:26:15 PM »

I bought my cover, similar to the one wittsend gave link to, from Ebay just over two years ago.
It was £65 from Creative Covers, it is shaped but not the best fit, too baggy. It secures with two clip type straps but needs more to stop it billowing.
I wrap a heavy string around, protecting the corners, and it now holds well. It is breathable and holds out most of the wet weather.
It did rip around the mirrors and spare wheel fitting. I contacted the company to ask about repairing but had no reply.
Not perfect but worth the money.
I have looked at carports and they can be bought quite cheaply secondhand. But of course you then have to transport and fit.

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2022, 04:25:28 PM »

I bought my cover, similar to the one wittsend gave link to, from Ebay just over two years ago.
It was £65 from Creative Covers, it is shaped but not the best fit, too baggy. It secures with two clip type straps but needs more to stop it billowing.
I wrap a heavy string around, protecting the corners, and it now holds well. It is breathable and holds out most of the wet weather.
It did rip around the mirrors and spare wheel fitting. I contacted the company to ask about repairing but had no reply.
Not perfect but worth the money.
I have looked at carports and they can be bought quite cheaply secondhand. But of course you then have to transport and fit.

I think there are 2 ways of looking at covers /shelters-
-Covers can protect the Land Rover when stored outside but can be a pain to fit and remove if you drive it often
-but a shelter can give the Land Rover protection when parked outside
AND give you a covered workspace to work on your Land Rover fully or partly protected from the weather depending on the type of shelter and budget. Also these are often to be driven into and out off with no work required :first

It all depends on what you need and your budget

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2022, 04:34:38 PM »

Still thinking and taking on board what everyone has said :stars
Now just wondering if one of these would stand up to high winds and perhaps when working on the Land Rover fabric side/s could be hung but easy to remove when the wind comes up
auction: #363760541258

Doubt if that would survive long here, and as the rain comes sideways would not offer much protection. Our local pub has a verandah with a "lean to" roof which folds up completely (electrically) when bad weather is predicted. I dont think I have ever seen a "trolley park" type building blow away as they look to be sturdily built.
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2022, 11:47:46 PM »

Polycarbonate sheets will flex alarmingly in strong wind, often resulting in them escaping their securing clips.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2022, 11:58:37 PM »

For a cover to work under I have a collapsible gazebo bought from Argos. They come in varying sizes with or without windows at a not to ridiculous price.
It will not stand up to heavy winds and nor recommended for prolonged outdoor use but for a couple of days here and there it was a good buy.
It uses a concertina system, no poles or legs to clip together and is easily put up by two. I have done it single handed but is a bit cumbersome for that and takes time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.